what tranny's do i have?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wornknobby3

hey guys, i'm new here and from what i have read there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. but i'm having a problem figuring out what tranny's i have. I'm not sure of any markings or anything. but this is what i have,
-a 91' accord w/ a close ratio 5 speed tranny (2-door model, if this matters)
-another 91' accord, which i never drove but pulled the tranny, so i don't know if their the same?... also a 5 speed (also a 2-door model)
- 93 honda accord, but has a higher ratio tranny, yet another 5 speed. (4-door model)

what i want is the close ratio in my 93', now i could take the tranny from my running 91', but i want to find out if the one sitting on my bench is the same. sorry for such a long post, but your help and insight will be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

All the F series and H series transmissions are interchangable with F and H series engines. Shouldn't have a problem Swapping the closer one into the 4 door. Never drove a 2 door, but I know the only gear worth anything is 2nd in the four doors. It pulls pretty good, and it's nice and long. Good luck with what you're doing my man.

yea my gears pull nice in the 4-door, this is my delema, my 2-door can light the tires up 1st and second no prob, and it takes off like a 2-stroke dirt bike, but my 4-door has a more of a top-end pull and not as much down low, the 2 door is more of a quick shifter while the 4 door is more of a longer gear you know. but anyways how do i tell what gear i have in these tranny's? cus i have another one from a 91' 2-door accord but i want to know if its the same as my other 91 or my 93' cuz that will determine which one goes in my car now.

maybe some kinda of markings, see i don't even know what to look for and even if i did how to differentiate the 2 apart

How do you know that the transmission on the coupe is geared closer? Just from driving it? Is this what you were told?

the 91' 2-door coupe i drove for 6 years, as soon as i drove the 4-door for the first time i could tell, it takes longer to accerlerate, but it has lower rpm's @ higher speeds, ( highway speeds),

Um....are you sure that the clutch is good because it sounds like it might have a weak clutch.i am not for sure on this but the tranny should be about the same,hence all the h and f series should have the same specs. But like i said i am not for sure on this..........

The 90-91 and 92-23 accord transmissions are almost identical. The 4th and 5th in the 92-93 is slightly longer. I just put a 90-91 tranny in my 92. RPM at 70 was like 2.7 now its like maybe 3k. it's not much of difference. Unless for some reason you have a prelude tranny from a vtec model. Codes are good for telling.

Edit: the sticker for the code is right on the front of the tranny if looking from in front of your car, with a barcode. They start with like SU and HU i think.

Last edited:
yea its weird, in the 91 coupe, it takes off like a bat outa hell, yet the 93 takes longer, more of my power is higher in the rpms, i mean the coupe has great top end, but 1st is so low and it takes you outa the hole extremly fast compared to the 93 which has a longer shift period, i don't know though, would a coupe and sedan have differnt gears? i wouldn't think so but i could be wrong...

so i'm looking for a sticker? thers no stamped code in case the sticker is missing?

and what am i looking for as far as telling me gears and such... like what to the SU and HU mean?

I'll get them in the morning. I actually have both right now in my shop. I can't remember where my online resource is. Damn getting laid off and losing all my bookmarks ;x.

Um....are you sure that the clutch is good because it sounds like it might have a weak clutch.i am not for sure on this but the tranny should be about the same,hence all the h and f series should have the same specs. But like i said i am not for sure on this..........

The H22 transmissions have more aggressive gearing...

yea its weird, in the 91 coupe, it takes off like a bat outa hell, yet the 93 takes longer, more of my power is higher in the rpms, i mean the coupe has great top end, but 1st is so low and it takes you outa the hole extremly fast compared to the 93 which has a longer shift period, i don't know though, would a coupe and sedan have differnt gears? i wouldn't think so but i could be wrong...

so i'm looking for a sticker? thers no stamped code in case the sticker is missing?

and what am i looking for as far as telling me gears and such... like what to the SU and HU mean?

There shouldn't really be that much of a difference between the transmissions from those years. What models are the cars? There were different engine options, and some of them made more power then others...

their all honda accord LX's, w/ 2.2L 4 cyl's, umm yea they have i dentical engines, idk what the deal is, but as long as i understand and can find markings i will be able to differentiate tranny's there has to be a way, how else would they have done it on the assembly line?

so i take it there are no markings? i don't have them here w/ me so i can't go look but if i knew of markings i could tell my buddy to go look in his garage and read them to me so i can figure this thing out:confused:

Back