Which Engine?for My Del Sol

93'delsol'VTec

Junior Member
I have a Honda del Sol Si 93 and I would like to put another engine on it, and I would like to know whats the best engine. On the B18 or the H22 do I need any modifications like the motor mounts?
 

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Well the b16a1 is obd0 and your car is obd1. If you want a b16, you have to get the b16a3 or the b16sirII.

The b18a is also a obd0 engine, if you want a cheap but good swap, get the b18b (LS) but it has no vtec but is great for boost.

Another engine is the b18c and c5 (c5 = Type R) these engines have vtec and displacement and are great NA engines. If you want to go boost these engines are not the best because you have no power until Vtec kicks in.

The h22 is a more indepth swap. The b series are very simple swaps, not much hassle and parts are easy to find. The H22 is a bigger and heavier engine. If you are into drag it is a good engine but it kinda screws up your handeling. The parts are alot more expensive plus you have to buy a mount kit from Hasport

It basicly comes down to what you want out of the car. If you want an autocrosser, go with b-series. If you want basicly all out dragster, go with h22 or turbo b18b. If you want a faster car for the street, go with b-series. If you want handling and fast sraightling, go with the b18b or b18c
 

prawjEKt Cx

Senior Member
well your name is del sol VTEc, i'm hoping that's not the model of your car you already don't have a b16 in there already and are wanting to swap it out, i know it's a torqeless motor, but i'd save your money that you woulda swapped and work that thing, either way regaurdless......

bseries swap = you don't need mounts,but you can get them
h22 = need them for sure

http://www.hasport.com/Products/Mounts.htm
 

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Originally posted by prawjEKt Cx@Jan 4 2003, 04:36 PM
well your name is del sol VTEc, i'm hoping that's not the model of your car you already don't have a b16 in there already and are wanting to swap it out, i know it's a torqeless motor, but i'd save your money that you woulda swapped and work that thing, either way regaurdless......

bseries swap = you don't need mounts,but you can get them
h22 = need them for sure

http://www.hasport.com/Products/Mounts.htm

Dude, you got to know your honda's, 93 all they made was the s and si. Si had a vtec engine (d16z6 with crappy valve cover) but it was the the b16a3.
 

asmallsol

Super Moderator
i already gave you tons of info (halfpage), what else do you want to know? What ever i missed the other guy filled you in (about the mounts)
 

SleEPeR_CRX

Senior Member
ALso, u cant use the B18a1 like u said. its also obd1, use the B18b 0bd1 depending on year. The b18a is cable and wont work b/c of that also.
 

exhacker

Member
beware of the hasport mounts. i've heard they transfer a lot of the vibration to the body/frame.... so anything loose on the car will start to rattle.... fine if your car is gutted, but sucks for daily driving. just a rumor.... i have no experience in the matter.
 

hondamidnighter

Senior Member
I have a 93 del sol and I want to swap a b16a3. Ya'll mention that you do not need motor mounts; but what do you mean you can get them??? How about other things that you might need for a swap like ECU AND WIRING HARNESS. DO YOU NEED THAT ??????
 

Hart-n-Sol

Junior Member
Originally posted by hondamidnighter@Oct 25 2003, 09:52 PM
I have a 93 del sol and I want to swap a b16a3. Ya'll mention that you do not need motor mounts; but what do you mean you can get them??? How about other things that you might need for a swap like ECU AND WIRING HARNESS. DO YOU NEED THAT ??????

yes u need mounts. 93 sol's only came with d-series motors. 94-97 came with the b16a3. u can buy the mounts from honda or get aftermarket ones. u will also need the del sol shift linkage from the 94+ model (dohc). and if u are going to go b16a3 then u can also use the factory ecu (p30). if u swap an obd2 b-series into it then u will have to covert your car to obd2 or chip your ecu and grab an obd1 dist. im swapping in a 01 usdm b18c5. it all plugs in but im not using the knock sensor.
 

Del Slw

Member
you can use a b18a1, the 92-93 tegs were obd1.
and as for the swap, you need all the motor mounts for a 94-00 teg, or 94-97 del sol vtec. and the shift linkage for the 94-97 del sol vtec. you need the wiring harness that comes with the engine. and if you go wit the b16, you only have to run the knock sensor wire, all del sol's came pre wired for vtec, with the exception of the knock sensor
 

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
Moderator
VIP
Originally posted by Del Slw@Oct 26 2003, 12:42 PM
you can use a b18a1, the 92-93 tegs were obd1.
and as for the swap, you need all the motor mounts for a 94-00 teg, or 94-97 del sol vtec. and the shift linkage for the 94-97 del sol vtec. you need the wiring harness that comes with the engine. and if you go wit the b16, you only have to run the knock sensor wire, all del sol's came pre wired for vtec, with the exception of the knock sensor

the B18A1 also came with a cable actuated tranny that is not compatible with the del sol's hydraulic setup (this makes it a poor choice IMO)


mounts - yes
shift linkage - yes
wiring harness - not necessarily... if its JDM it wont fit your car.. your harness can be modified to work (use plugs from the JDM harness) if its USDM then it will work fine
knock sensor - again not necissarily... if you are running a chipped P28 it wont look for one
 

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
Moderator
VIP
Originally posted by Hart-n-Sol@Oct 26 2003, 12:01 PM
if u swap an obd2 b-series into it then u will have to covert your car to obd2 or chip your ecu and grab an obd1 dist. im swapping in a 01 usdm b18c5.

you do not need to convert your car to OBD-2 or use OBD-1 anything (distributer, injectors, alternator, anything else)

if you are using a USDM engine and harness then just plug it all in at the shock towers

use a chipped OBD-1 P28 and your done

if the engine / harness is JDM then switch out the OBD-2 plugs from the JDM harness for the OBD-1 ones on your harness:
distributer --- your OBD-1 harness has 2 plugs for the dist... the OBD-2 dist uses one plug... all of the wires line up in the same positions
fuel injectors --- just match the colors (the yellow w/ black stripe are all the same common ground so it doesnt matter if you mix them up)
alternator --- not sure how to swap this plug i just used an OBD-1 GSR alternator (check the helms manual for what wires are what and im sure this one will be just as easy as the others to swap out)
O2 sensor --- these wires need to be lengthened (your stock one is in the front of the engine the ITR and other B series are in the rear under the engine) just pull 4 long wires out of the JDM harness and solder them in


solder and shrink-wrap all the splices and your just as good as stock
 

btleier

Member
Originally posted by exhacker@Jan 5 2003, 06:40 PM
beware of the hasport mounts. i've heard they transfer a lot of the vibration to the body/frame.... so anything loose on the car will start to rattle.... fine if your car is gutted, but sucks for daily driving. just a rumor.... i have no experience in the matter.

Isn't that mostly just because they use urethane bushings, instead of the more forgiving rubber (or whatever they are) in stock mounts?

Yeah the H22 is a more involved swap, but realistically once you do the research you feel pretty well prepared for the project. It's a nice, powerful foundation to start on.
 
Top