Which engine to boost?

YangpaNemsay

Senior Member
Little Jimmy was walking down the street. Little Jimmy shifted his gaze towards the heavens. The clouds parted and the Almighty Tuning Gods told Little Jimmy to find the best B-Series Engine to boost or he will be struck down with 90 lb. Rims aimed at his head travelling at 122 mph. Little Jimmy's eyes watered as he ran home to his garage and do a little research...
 

SolReaver

Senior Member
Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Dec 30 2002, 01:42 AM
Little Jimmy was walking down the street. Little Jimmy shifted his gaze towards the heavens. The clouds parted and the Almighty Tuning Gods told Little Jimmy to find the best B-Series Engine to boost or he will be struck down with 90 lb. Rims aimed at his head travelling at 122 mph. Little Jimmy's eyes watered as he ran home to his garage and do a little research...

roflmao

well, you sure did answer my question!

Now for yours-

5 main b series motors: LS (b18b) gsr, type r, b16, b20,

Here is the basics...

LS- Torquey, underrated motor. Owns with turbo. Excellent for price

GSR- Good power out of the box, good torque, many good features.

TYPE R- killer n/a motor, expect to sell a kidney to buy it, a lot of people look down on you if you boost this motor cause it is already highly tuned for n/a

B16- Good high end, but severely lacks low end power. pretty decent all around, very rev-happy. Kinda like a smaller weaker type r motor

B20- Torque monster, similar to the ls motor, except for some say its a little more fragile than the b18b.

There has been a lot of debate whether its better to boost a non vtec motor as compared to the non vtec motors. From what ive heard, the vtec engines make more power on the dyno, but they are slower on the track, because the non vtecs make power at lower rpm. Talk to pissedoffsol for all the details :)

I am running the ls motor, it will be turbo by this spring. I chose it cause it was the best all around motor for what i wanted to do with it (Very quick, reliable street car)

Of all the b series engines, i think that the ls is the best choice, taking all factors into consideration.
 

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
Originally posted by SolReaver@Dec 30 2002, 01:58 AM
Of all the b series engines, i think that the ls is the best choice, taking all factors into consideration.

especially, initial cost, and total cost.
 

timEspeed

Senior Member
I know waht the LS motor is and that It came in pre '95 Ls Integras. What I haven't been able to find out is the engine code. So what is it, a B18a? I have no clue....
 

phunky.buddha

Admin with a big stick
Admin
VIP
Originally posted by timEspeed@Jan 3 2003, 10:31 AM
I know waht the LS motor is and that It came in pre '95 Ls Integras. What I haven't been able to find out is the engine code. So what is it, a B18a? I have no clue....

That's what our engine reference section is for. I spent a lot of time making sure the information was correct- use it!

B18A = 2G Integra (90-93)
B18B = 3G Integra (94-01)
 

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
b18a: ---------------------------------------- b18b:
obd 0 (most of them)----------------------obd1
cable tranny---------------------------------hydro tranny
gayer intake manifold---------------------not too bad of an IM, but still gay
weaker cut cams---------------------------better than the A
less of a port job---------------------------more of a port matching job on the head
 
Top