Won't start when cold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

harley261

I just bought a 1999 civic dx. When I test drove the car it was already at operating temp. It was only throwing a secondary O2 cel and felt like an occasional misfire below 1500 rpm, above 1500rpm it would purr. When I got it home I changed plugs and wires, it seemed to help but not cure the misfire at low rpms. The next day I got in it and tried to start it but there was no fire. Everything turns over fine and it is sparking but it never even sputters or attempts to start. A friend and I push start it and it fires up.. barely. I drive it around the block to get it warmed up then come home park it and shut it off then try to start it again and it fires up. Same thing happened the next day, it will not start when it is cold unless I push start it to get the engine to turn over faster than the starter will turn it over. The battery is new and the starter is not slow, (sounds like any other Honda starter).

Things I have tried to trouble shoot:
1)new (plugs)
2)new (wires)
3)used but good taken from a perfect running civic (injectors)

I have not swapped the distributor yet because I do not have an OBD2 one available. I wanted to check with you guys first before I go spend the money on a new one.
In my experience a non functioning secondary O2 will not cause the car to not cold start.

Please help, Thanks

Harley

Last edited:
Back