Y8 or Z6?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dymond

I posted not too long ago about advice on a swap, but now I think I've settled on a couple of engines. Since this is gonna be my first swap, I decided to keep it cheap and simple and go with a D16Y8 or Z6. I'm running a stock Civic VX with the original D15Z1 VTEC-E under the hood, and even though I'm loving the fuel economy, the power isn't quite cutting it. My original plan was to buy a B16 and go all motor, but I'm starting to realize that I can't quite afford the entire swap (lol). So here comes my question. I noticed that the numbers between the Y8 and Z6 were just about identical, so I was wondering which engine i should opt for. I'm thinking about price, performance, difficulty of swap, ability to pass smog, and FE (low on priority list, though). Any words of advice would be much appreciated :D

i would go with y8, i have seen many y8s with outstanding performance just depends on how they are built

It's true the Y8 is a good D-series motor, but because your car is a 95 and thus OBD1 then you should opt for the Z6 because then you won't have to add a whole bunch of extra sensors and you retain the tunability of OBD1 it should also be smog legal if you pick up a 95 one.

slap a z6 head on it and start building then you got yourself a magic bootyhole:D

dont ask my drunk roomate said it

Lmao, sounds like me when I drank:p. I have an 88-91 Civic EF. I am wondering what I can do to a d16a6/d16y8 engine build, don't have a huge budget but I'm putting a Crower "Stage 2" camshaft in. Is this recommended?. I'm just wondering if I need to do anything else since its COMPLETELY apart (valves and all!). I have a header and a d16a6 IM, thinking about buying a Y8 IM. Thanks guys.

It's true the Y8 is a good D-series motor, but because your car is a 95 and thus OBD1 then you should opt for the Z6 because then you won't have to add a whole bunch of extra sensors and you retain the tunability of OBD1 it should also be smog legal if you pick up a 95 one.

Ah... good point. I totally looked over the fact that it's OBD1.

So what would a decent running D16Z6 with relatively low miles cost me? Would any of you suggest getting a new transmission, or should I just use the stock VX tranny? Thanks for the advice! :)

id go with the z6 over the y8 any day. the y7 and y8 are notorious for spinning bearings. as far as price of a z6 just shop around. you can pick them up fairly cheap. i got a complete z6 and ex/si tranny (which i would suggest) for 350

id go with the z6 over the y8 any day. the y7 and y8 are notorious for spinning bearings. as far as price of a z6 just shop around. you can pick them up fairly cheap. i got a complete z6 and ex/si tranny (which i would suggest) for 350

Wow, $350 isn't bad at all for the engine/tranny! I'm definitely gonna shop around to get a good value. What might my power range be if I wanted to go all motor with the usual I/E/H upgrades? Any suggestions as to what brand i should go with so I can pass smog? Thanks again for the help!

Wow, $350 isn't bad at all for the engine/tranny! I'm definitely gonna shop around to get a good value. What might my power range be if I wanted to go all motor with the usual I/E/H upgrades? Any suggestions as to what brand i should go with so I can pass smog? Thanks again for the help!

no it wasnt bad at all but i had to pick it up. oh idk id say roughly around 135-140ish at the crank. maybe a little more but not much.

Don't go for the Y8, if you run it hard it will last for a year. Z6 FTW!! You already have OBD1 and VTEC so it will be the easiest swap available for your car right now.

Don't go for the Y8, if you run it hard it will last for a year. Z6 FTW!! You already have OBD1 and VTEC so it will be the easiest swap available for your car right now.

Yeah, I think I'm going to end up going with the Z6. The fact that I'm already wired for V-Tec is convenient too. Thanks for all the great advice! Hondaswap has gotta be the best forum i've joined since getting my car :)

Now the search for the perfect engine/tranny :]

Why don't you just do a head swap? I would say the z6 head on your block with the z6 intake manifold, a cold air intake, and a full exhaust would be a pretty nice setup in a civic hatch. honestly it depends on your preference for the tranny if you want better gas mileage stick with your tranny or if you want to give your car shorter gears so it has better throttle response.

Last edited:
yeah dude throw z6 head on it and you wont have to do to much work other than that

Why don't you just do a head swap? I would say the z6 head on your block with the z6 intake manifold, a cold air intake, and a full exhaust would be a pretty nice setup in a civic hatch. honestly it depends on your preference for the tranny if you want better gas mileage stick with your tranny or if you want to give your car shorter gears so it has better throttle response.

So you're saying I should just stick with my D15Z1 block and throw on the Z6 head/IM? What would be the power and FE comparison compared to a full Z6 swap? Price?

Thanks ^_^

Z6

Man you should go with a z6 i got one in my sol it runs good but im going with a b16b as soon as the holidays are over and i have the money then ill be revving to 9 grand lol :)

reving to nine grand and replacing valves^_^

and the best part pistons can be included

So you're saying I should just stick with my D15Z1 block and throw on the Z6 head/IM? What would be the power and FE comparison compared to a full Z6 swap? Price?

Thanks ^_^
It would be cheaper and easier if you don't have a engine hoist and the tools, ect.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with a D15Z1 block and D16Z6 head you get a really low compression ratio, which will be a loss in power.

All D15's (except the D15B from Japan - D16Z6 equivalent) have smaller bearing journals than the D16's.

I would personally go for the D16Z6 whole motor for peformance wise.

If you don't have tools and an engine hoist maybe find a shop to do it, or learn.:)

Back