Yet another honda added to the stable. Pix of my new rex!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

<- really excited to see this. Will of course be anticipating pics, and pics of the muffler possibly? I must remove fart can asap.

I am stoked about the muffler! I finally found the answer to "What is a good quiet exhaust for my CRX" Or shall I say, an answer that doesn't cost a fortune. The dynomax costs $50-70 off the shelf, mine cost $36 shipped from amazon.com. It is a high flow muffler designed on a flow bench, not just slapped together. It flowed much better than "flowmaster" and several other big brands, with half the noise.

super_cut.jpg

There is fiberglass matting in it, which is a bit of a longevity issue, but if it fails in 3 or 4 years I'll plunk down another $36. No problem.

It is also very close to stock size and shape, which is a nice bonus.

I used stainless mandrel bent piping for the rest of the exhaust. Well, what I could use of it.. It was on the aftermarket system that came on the car. Might as well! Saved a little weight too, as I am not running a resonator. Or a coffee can exhaust tip. How long has it been since you have seen a modded honda with a regular exhaust pipe hanging out the back?

Some time in the 50's I'd say. Running a cat? You probably have to for inspection eh? I have a straight pipe with a fart can with an 5 inch fucking opening on the muffler.

2003 civic si harness
p28 ecu (also known as the "Magical +20 HP Honda ECU")

I have big plans for mine, I just wish i had the money to do them right now. I dont wanna do the exhaust on it because I wanna do a motor swap. I don't want to get usdm front end parts because I want jdm, I need to start saving up I guess.

Just got back from a night of racing at the strip. Took the rex just for fun, it was a test and tune night at a drag strip, 1/8th mile

If you're going to go through all the trouble to make a drag strip, put in stands, a concession stand, timing systems, number boards, and everything else, why on earth wouldn't you do 1/4 mile?? Ah well.

Anyhow, Started off the night running high 12s. Yes, high 12s. Not sure what was up with the trans, but all the power was going to one wheel, and being that I was on 6 year old street tires, it wasn't grabbing at all. 60' times sucked balls.

After 2 or 3 runs, it decided to kick in the other wheel and send some power that way as well. Still not much, but it was much better than nothing. Dropped the tire pressure to 20psi and launched at low rpm, very very carefully.

Second best run of the night:

Reaction: .435
60ft: 2.357
330ft: 6.508
1/8th ET: 9.939
1/8th MPH: 72.22mph

Best run of the night was a 9.88. Lost the damn time slip.

Mrs. Phyre had some good runs.

Her best:
Reaction: .4879
60ft: 2.303
330ft: 6.533
1/8th ET: 10.012
1/8th MPH: 71.8mph

She did damn good! I'm proud!

Anyway, as you can see from the 60' times, we were having hell making it hook up. If you got on the power it would just spin out in 1st and 2nd gear. Had to launch at like 3k, and even then we had to feather the throttle. We were on very nice street tires, but they are 6 years old and dried out pretty bad.

Decent times for a b18a swapped crx with an LS transmission. (i think the trans was also killing us with that long ass gearing).. I thought it should have probably pulled mid 9s at least. I mean, this thing is gutted to its bare bones. I even removed the passenger seat for the night.

Also ran against a b20/vtec swapped crx twice and whooped up on him. He was on new street tires, but he didn't seem to have a clue. My guess is vtec wasn't working or something, as he should have beat me by a good margin. Also found out that the rex has a top speed of 137.5mph :ph34r:

Overall a fun night. Mrs. Phyre did good.. she was certainly nipping at my heels!

Pics and a shitty vid!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Melted tires!! This is what your fenders should look like after you've had some fun! This is all tire rubber that I get to scrub off tomorrow. Note the old cracked sidewalls. Glad they held together.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This vid was shot in "compact" mode on accident. Which is why its so shitty. This is me (white b18a rex) vs the other rex (b20vtec) He had a .3 reaction time vs my .6, which is why his lights lit up first, but I ran a 9.88 vs his 10.11. I wish the vid was clearer so you could see is refuckingdiculous intake that stuck out of his headlight. Big ass velocity stack on the end, I assumed it was a nasty ass turbo, but it wasn't.

YouTube - CRXs 1/8th Mile Drag Race

Attachments

• lineup.jpg
    lineup.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 447
  • lineup2.jpg
    lineup2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 446
  • rexes.jpg
    rexes.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 441
  • Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 465
  • tires2.jpg
    tires2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 450
high 9's... must be 8th mile track?

Just got back from a night of racing at the strip. Took the rex just for fun, it was a test and tune night at a drag strip, 1/8th mile
Wow Phyre, that's a really good quarter mile time for a factory b18a. I figured it would have never run high 9's!

Yeah, its 1/8th mile, high 9s in the 8th is roughly mid/low 15s in the quarter. I would guess it would run a 15.4 or something very close to that.

Note in the video that you can only hear one car's exhaust.. Its his. I love my exhaust.

usually its better to roll out slowly than dumping the clutch.

when i went to track with my crx i found it was better to start revs at aroung 4k and ease the clutch (yes it sucks burning it up) out. i ont take 1rst gear to the max. I shift high enough for rpms to catch 2nd gear a little under the powerband to minimize wheel hop.

Its help alot on cars with traction issues, especially if you have crappy tires like i did

good runs though. keep working at and you'll find out what the car likes and when it runs its best.

Yeah, wasn't dumping the clutch at all. If I did, it would just sit and spin, yielding those 12 second runs. I was launching very low (like 3k) easing the clutch out, then feathering the throttle for minimal wheel spin. If you watch the vid, I don't spin much at all. I'd take first to 6500rpm, still feathering the throttle, then dig into second and roll on the throttle smoothly to avoid more wheel spin. It was pretty much full throttle from there out. Finished the 1/8th toward the end of 3rd gear. Didn't use 4th at all.

I really, really need a type R trans with LSD. And a GSR motor. And a JRSC. And Slicks.

Yeah.. Maybe some day. This isn't a drag car though.

Last edited:
Looks like fun. I'd like to try that one day, no matter what car I'm in. It looks like you have a strong running car there. :)

Do a test and tune night at any drag strip. People bring all kinds of stuff. I've seen guys racing their dragsters while their wives raced in the truck they used to tow the dragster up to the track. Pickups, SUVs, it doesn't matter. Its a rush no matter what you are in. Almost put the element on the track to see what it would do.. Its all wheel drive, so it would have launched nicely..

Maybe I'll take my accord out and beat the shit out of it. ^_^ Or the rex... leaving space for a D16 swap... hmmm... I guess it needs a bumper first though.

Back