Zc Trannies

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90vtec

I read somewhere in the forum the a ZC tranny can come with LSD stock from the Factory in Jap. Is this true. I just bought my engine and was wondering if there is any way to tell if the tranny is LSD equipped?

Ya look through the axel place, if you don't see anything you have a LSD. BTW that tranny sucks and can be fixed with a new FD to be awesome.

Originally posted by 90vtec@Feb 20 2003, 08:57 AM
I read somewhere in the forum the a ZC tranny can come with LSD stock from the Factory in Jap. Is this true. I just bought my engine and was wondering if there is any way to tell if the tranny is LSD equipped?

If you can't take it all apart (transmission is in car), jack up the front end, take it out of gear, and spin one of the front tires. If both wheels turn in the same direction (both forwrard, both backward), you have the OEM LSD. If they turn in opposite directions, you have an open differential.

ZC LSD transmissions aren't that easy to find... I'm lucky I got one. :lol:

I don't know much about trannies, Engines and general tech is differnet though. How do you swap Final drives. Anybody got instructions. And can a DX Final drive be used? If not I can get an Si eventually. But i have the DX in my hands now.

Also, is the Final drive in the ZC that bad?

It's not a novice project, the countershaft has to be replaced too. Now if you just want a better tranny the gears from the ZC can go into your DX tranny ( better FD anyway ) and you won't need to get special axels, you can use your DX ones.

90- the ZC final drive isn't bad at all, at least with its 1-5 ratios. The ratios in the ZC transmission are spaced a little better than in the USDM transmissions- they allow you to rev up a little faster, since you're using more of your rev range than in the Si transmission. The DX final drive is about the same as the ZC final drive- in the hatch, the FD is 3.722 (our reference section isn't correct, I'll fix it later), the FD in the STD is 3.888 (I think), and the FD in the sedan is 4.058. The ZC final drive is 3.888, and the Si final drive is 4.250.

solblu- If you put the ZC gears into a DX transmission, you're not changing the final drive much, unless you're dropping the gears into a sedan transmission.

Ya I was thinking of the 92 up dx finals. The only advantage to swapiing the ZC gears over to the DX tranny would be that you could use the dx axles. And eventually throw in a Si Final and be set. That 4.25 final with the zc gears is nice. I ran it in my sol when I had the 1.5 in there.

Hmm. I've been thinking about it myself too- I have an extra 90 Si transmission that came with the CRX. Once my car is done (the 4 door), I might consider popping both transmissions open and swapping out the gears to make one obscene D series transmission.

:lol:

Back