1500 turbo set-up? possible?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

can somebody help me with putting together a minor turbo kit for my stock b18b? i'm looking to spend around 1500 on everything. is it possible? i just want to atleast run 6 psi. what parts do i all need? turbo,fmic w/piping,bov,downpipe,turbo manifold,oil lines,boost controller...etc. i know you guys know your sh*t so help would be appreciated. thanks a lot

$1500 should be plenty for a good turbo kit. Search eBay, online forums, online websites. That is where I got all my parts and I ended up spending about $1100 for my turbo kit. You can also check junkyards for parts too like the turbo, injectors, bov, or intercooler. I would also get 3 inch exhaust and an aftermarket clutch.

Turbo (T3 .60/.63)
Manifold (Log will work, but doesn't flow that well)
Downpipe (custom so it will fit right, usually made when installing the kit)
Oil lines (check the classifieds on homemadeturbo.com)
FMIC (johnnyracecar or custom coach)
IC piping (www.jcwhitney.com)
BOV (doesn't matter... 1g DSM is cheap and works)
Boost controller (doesn't matter... a cheap one)
Fuel management (chipped ECU, uberdata)
larger injectors (DSM 450cc)
Boost gauge (auto meter, mine has worked fine)

I think that's about it...

Yes it can be done, I'm doing it right now for a b20.
So far I've bought almost everything off of ebay, its a valuable resource.

Here's my 2 cents on things.
You can pick up a 'new' turbo for farily cheap, a T3 w/48 exhuast with a 60 or super 60 compressor would be good for your street setup. I got mine for 120$ on ebay.
I'm making my manifold, so I cant help ya too much. If your good at welding though, you can make a kick ass manifold for $100 or so.
I'm also making all the exhuast piping, I'd go with 2.5in dia. for the entire deal.
I picked up a complete turbo oil ine kit on Ebay for 60$, they have many of them.
I got a Saab9000 intercooler for 50$ on ebay, only a few of those though.
Intercooler pipe from jcwhitney, (along with the exhuast), just match its size to your turbo outlet.
I have the 450cc injectors from ebay, 60$.
I made an Air to fuel ratio meter and boost guage (Led lights) for about 10$ for both, the A/f meter works good. I haven't had a chance to hook up the boost meter yet, I'll do it when I get the Vafc. If you want the webpages I used to make them I can look them back up and post it, just ask.
Got a bosch BOV from the ('U wrench it') Junkyard, 5$.

It depends alot of whitch car you have (and thus what ECU you have) on wether I would go with the VAFC or a chipped ECU. I personally am getting a Vafc, I'll tell you how it works out when it comes in on monday or tuesday. But If I had an older car that used OBD1, it would not be as much trouble to do the chipping. I would buy a chip burner for about 60-80$ and use a freeware program like uberdata. But since I have OBD2, its 100 bucks to change and then some more to buy a new ECU... Just not worth it for me.

HTH
Buzz1167
Jon N

do all t3/t4 turbos match up to my b18b? or do they have to match up to the right manifold? do they all mount the same? thanks again

You have to match the turbo to the manifold, it doesn't matter what engine you have in comparison to the turbo. Just make sure that the manifold will fit in your car, I.E. if you get a 'b18' manifold (as opposed to a 94gsr manifold) make sure it will clear the radiator with the turbo you want to put on there, they come in all different sizes for all different cars. Also you have to specifcy (almost always) if you want to keep A/C or not, they are different manfolds; the A/c option usually costs a little more.

HTH
Buzz1167
Jon N

thanks buzz for the help. ok here's a kit that sounds good to me...but i'm a newbie so i thought i'd let you guys check it out and give me your advice:

1) GARRETT T3 TURBO WITH LESS THAN 5000 MILES ON IT. WITH FITTINGS (NO SHAFT PLAY)

2)POLISHED FRONTMOUNT INTERCOOLER(31x12x2.75")

3)2.5" MANDREL BENT INTERCOOLER PIPING

4)APEXI TWIN CHAMBER BLOW OFF VALVE

5)4- 450CC FUEL INJECTORS

6)ALL THE SILICONE HOSE TO CONNECT THE INTERCOOLER PIPING WITH T-BOLT CLAMPS

7)OIL FEED AND OIL RETURN LINES.

8)INTAKE FILTER

9)MISC. VACCUME HOSE AND HOSE CLAMPS

10)BRAND NEW MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER
:is this good for 1300? what else would i all need? manifold,tial wg... thanks a lot bros

thats deinately gonna put you well over 1500 after it is all said and done. Remember fuel management.

i am going to try and put together a turbo kit for my zc for hopefully around $700.

lookin at like:

$200 - fmic (ebay style..prolly crappy but still it is better than nothin)..Or I might get a front mount pipe it all depends.
$50-75- 14b turbo I know a guy that has one laying in his garage i can prolly get that for free, otherwise i got a junkyard that i can get it super cheap from.
free- bov-1g eclipse
$under $50 injectors-1g eclipse 450ccs
$25-35 - hf manifold

that leaves $350 for other stuff such as piping, oil lines, oil cooler (going to be nice. :), gauges(egt, a/f, and boost).

for mangment, going with turboedit2.0 :) basicly free :) gotta love it.

I could really do a turbo kit for under $500 if I were to go completely w/ junkyard parts. E.g. some turbo car's side mount intercooler made to fmic and then used like flexpipe for the charge lines. that' d be extremely ghetto but it would still be on the safe side.

nathan

You can't just throw on 450cc injectors, your car won't idle. You need an AFC hack, like the Apexi Vafc, or Safc. Or you need to spend some real money on a real standalone system like the Hondata. If you want an inbetween solution you could do the chipping mod to your ecu, (if you have Obd1 or Obd0) and make it work that way with a PROM burner and some freeware tuner software like Uberdata. That would be my choice if I had an Obd1-0 Ecu, but since I have an Obd2, I'm gonna use the Vafc.
If you don't wanna boost a lot, an internal wastegate on the turbo will be fine and it'll save you some $$.
A manifold will set you back 200$ at least for a built one, and more if you want one from a reputable dealer.

Also I'd check that turbo, if someone says no shaft play, thats a stupid thing to say. If the turbo had 0 shaft play it would't run, All oil bearing turbos have side to side shaft play, End to end is what you don't want... I'd make sure of what you were buying. Also, where are you getting this all from, 1300 for the lot seems a little high.

2 places that I see you could definatly loose some $$ is with the expencive BOV and intercooler. Those are more "show" than "go" in most cases, albeit you don't want to small an intercooler or a really crappy one. Just keep in mind that these "flashy" parts will put you over your 1500$$ most definately.

I'd have to actually see the parts to tell you if you were getting crap or not, but you didn't seem to do anything wrong in picking out the parts so far, so good luck.

Buzz1167
Jon N

that leaves $350 for other stuff such as piping, oil lines, oil cooler (going to be nice. , gauges(egt, a/f, and boost).

I don't know that $350 will get you all that..at least not new, you may want to also add a fuel pump and fmu to your list.

The guages i'll prolly pickup used...

piping is maybe $30-50

oil lines... i dont know how much thy run.

downpipe can be made for $25 max. I might have my exhaust redone to 2.5" from 2.25" just because The pipe i have now is like 1/4" wall and heavy as shit.

oil cooler is like $25.

Unless the oil lines are like $100 i dont see a big problem

btw, a 255lph pump is a good idea...I will probably be doing that also.

nathan

thanks again buzz for all the info. damn,what you said got me thinking. i think i should just get all the pieces together myself.this is a dumb question but are all oil feed and return lines universal? for the fuel management what do you suggest? ok here's the list of what i need....add anything i'm missing. thanks

t3/t4 garrett turbo with atleast .48-.60?...manifold that fits my b18b(any brand?sites?).....johnnyracecar fmic....jcwitney piping....tial wg regulated at 7ish psi.....oil lines(how many ft. or size?).....hondata,uberdata,chipped ecu?....hks bov....vaccum hoses?(i have no idea on what kind or anything on the hoses,f*ck i hate being a newbie)....intake(i'm also confused a little on the intake size,brand?)...and that's about it. sorry for all the questions and thanks a shit load for the help

my buddy's dad owns a junkyard and they owe me favors for fixing their computers.

oil cooler = $25.

my other buddy works at an exhaust shop = $25 for down pipe

as far as couplers i was thinking the homedepot rubber 2" couplers.

i read on some turbo site about thsoe...

nathan

The oil feed lines are not universal, they are different for each turbo. I got mine from ebay and if you wanna know who I bought them from I can go look it up for ya, they got here real fast and it looks nice. Only 60$.
You also don't need a fancy Wastegate, and internal one will do you fine unless you wanna go for lots of boost; but then if you wanted to do that, I'd say get off the budget...
You need to figure out what kind of ECU you have so you know what your options are for the fuel management, What car is this going into? I won't go into any more detail about fuel until I know what I'm dealing with, I'd just be wasting my words...

The turbos have Lots of dimensions, only 2 of them are major that you need to worry about. An exhaust A/r and a compressor Trim. The exhaust, .48 a/r should do you fine with a 1.8L and 50 or 60 trim compressor will be good for you. Garrett and turbonetics are good brands. Generally speaking the 'Cummins' brand are way to large, and the IHI's are too small, keep away.

A manifold that fits your b18... Goto ebay and type in 'b18 turbo' and see what you get. Other than that, goto google and type in 'b18 turbo manifold' an see what you get, most of them will probably be too expensive for your budget.

I would go with JC whitney piping, figure out what size your turbo compressor oulet has on it (ask the person your buying it from) and get the same size to run your charge lines.
The Charge lines are the intake pipes that go from your turbo to the intercooler, then from the intercooler to your intake manifold. You don't buy an intake like for naturally asperated cars, you're going to make it, if your not going to buy a kit. (and you probably aren't buying a kit; becuase making your charge lines isn't hard and it saves you money.)
You also forgot about exhaust, if you can't weld then your pretty much SOL, you're probably going to have to just take it to a muffler shop and have them do it, with all the turbo differences there probably wont be an exhaust that will bolt up, and to mention it, if there were, it would be out of your budget for sure...
You need to figure out vaccum hoses after all this other crap is done, you don't even know what your going to use that needs vacuum hoses yet...
Piecing togethor a turbo kit is no easy job, you aren't going to do it in a day, or a week. It's taken me about a month to collect all my parts, and its finally all coming togethor.

You just have to start somewhere and go, don't look back, I started by putting in an A/f meter that I made. Then I put in new injectors and screwed with those for a few days, now I'm putting in a Vafc and next comes the big equipment...

Buzz1167
Jon N

home depot couplers will blow off ever freakin day.

get real couplers, or you'll hate yourself.

http://64.49.247.187/index.asp?PageAction=...TS&Category=232

oil lines, -3 feed, -10 return.
get the kit from fast-turbo.com
its th best for the money hands down, and also comes with the pan tap fitting.

this is as small as i'd go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33742

this will be a nice size...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33742

Back