1990 CRX Si Build thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I know I realized that I was doing it wrong, thats why I kept getting super low compressions, and when I realized I was doing it wrong, I did it right and now I'm getting the right compression estimates. z6=9.95:1 and y8=10.3:1

pictures of new stuff
boost.jpg

boost guage
downpipe.jpg

downpipe
exaustmanifold.jpg

exaust manifold
z6.jpg

z6 head
p28.jpg

p28 ecu with crome chipping
goldvalve.jpg

vtec valve cover
newhead.jpg

painted w/ matched intake manifold
evo.jpg

lol evo anyone?
types1.jpg

types2.jpg

I actually downloaded a couple sound clips, just so I could listen to it.

Thats all the pics I have for now, the only thing I need is the lower charge piping, which I'm getting this weekend, and progress will start a week from Friday.

maybe I should give you credit then?
I knew how to paint a valve cover before coming to this site, but figured I'd just read through all the stuff anyway, saw that, and thought it looked real nice gold with the black lettering. I didn't think you had the colors copywritten lol, but I do admit that I got the idea of the colors from your guide

except i think you used a better gold paint, yours looks much nicer

haha.. i dont care if you use the colors.. .. thats what its there for.. i'm selling that one anyways.. putting the b16 one back on, but its painted a medium grey.. nothing too fancy.. just not my style.. i'm pretty basic

yeah, I'm real big on dress up I guess you could say, I love all that shit so thats what I do a lot of, I'm pretty unbasic lol.

I'd buy it if I had a b16, looks great. My brother has one though, so how much anyway? he may be interested

I'll let him know, I know he has to adjust a couple things because his hood is rubbing his valve cover a little

so I have everything except for the final pieces of my charge pipe. I started building my head again, and I have a couple questions.

Does anyone know how different the rocker assemblies for a z6 and a y8 head are, if different at all? I have the y8 one all put together again from when I planned on using it, and I'd like to just slap that on, but I don't know if it'll work right.

Also, as far as intake manifolds, they're pretty much the same as far as compatibility, I have one from a 90 civic dx I believe, but it looks just like the one on my rex with the a6, and it also looks just like the one that came on the z6 head

thanks

back from the dead, I bought a beater car and in the same day started ripping into the rex. There's been a huge change of plans though, and as of now, I'm just doing a mini-me swap into the rex.

There's a bolt though, on the bottom side and in the center of the intake manifold, how are you supposed to reach it? there's a slight metal lip in front of it so you can't really reach it with a open-end, and sockets are super difficult. Any suggestions?

intake manifold bolt...

I know which bolt you speak of. It's a bitch.

I used a u-joint socket extension and some swearing to get it off. Put it on with the engine out of the car which was way easier. I can't think of any reason you wouldn't be able to just remove the head with the intake manifold attached to it and get the bolt off out of the car.

I'm about to start a similar project with a D16 block. Complete teardown, proper rebuild and mate it with a z6 or y8 head. Funny part is that I don't have a car to put it in yet. Might pick up a rex, they look fun.

Good luck!

thelostnet

yeah I couldn't figure out why the intake manifold wouldn't come off, because that was my original plan. i ended up removing the alternator bracket and very painfully slowly using an open ended to get it off. I didn't realize that there was a bracket on the back of the intake manifold holding it to the chassis though, and thats why it wouldn't come off with the head. BUT, I got the head off, and now I'm working on getting the timing belt off. Is the only was to get it off, take the right motor mount off? I have to take all that plastic shit off but it seems like I have to take the motor mount to get that and my timing belt off. Blahh. Other than that, its going very well.

Might want to set the crank and cam to TDC (top dead center) before pulling the timing belt off. I suppose it doesn't matter as long as they don't get moved at all before the new timing belt goes on. You did get a new timing belt and water pump right?

Might want to set the crank and cam to TDC (top dead center) before pulling the timing belt off. I suppose it doesn't matter as long as they don't get moved at all before the new timing belt goes on. You did get a new timing belt and water pump right?

yes I did. The head is off, will it be any harder to set it to TDC?

also, I was told this by a guy doing the same swap, can anyone else find any truth in it?
Yea the a6 distributor bolts right up to the y8 head

Im doing this swap also here pretty soon. btw did you get a y8 head stud for the bolt nearest the vtec solenoid.

Also you'll need an adjustable cam gear, you may or may not know that. new headgasket for the y8 head. timing belt off a d15b7 (1992-1995 honda civic DX/LX)

Because if i recall the y8 head sits slightly higher then the a6 head when mounted on the block. So for one the stock belt will not work its too short. also you need an adjustable cam gear because you need to advance cam timing 4.5 degrees to compensate for the slightly higher head. if you dont get an adjustable cam gear you wont be able to advance the timing enough and it will run like butt

I have a new waterpump, y8 headgasket, etc. I did get the timing belt off the d15, and a new cam gear, and have it currently adjusted to advance 4.5 degrees. Can anyone else verify this?

Yup, motor mount and crank pulley. Have fun :)

and I just noticed this, how are you supposed to take the crank pulley off? I haven't looked at it more because I havent been that far yet, are there multiple bolts or something holding it?

and I just noticed this, how are you supposed to take the crank pulley off? I haven't looked at it more because I havent been that far yet, are there multiple bolts or something holding it?
I used a 6' breaker bar. Might be trickier with the engine still in the car. It's just the one bolt holding the crank pulley on. Makes a terrible noise like your breaking something when it comes loose.

WD-40 or similar can help some, but mostly you need leverage. Sometimes an impact wrench can do it, though not sure if you can get in there with one. Can you get to it through the wheel well?

yeah, I can get to it through the wheel well or from the side, I lost my breaker bar so i've been using a piece of 6.5 foot pvc pipe for leverage, which has worked well so far. What about the other stuff, heard any truth to it?

I'm actually getting ready to do this, but I assume that that one bolt is also the one used to turn your crank to set it to TDC, so I ask this now, what is the best way to set it to TDC, then remove it without unsetting it? I was thinking of setting it, making a mark at the top of the crank pulley, taking it off, so that when I put it back on, say it does unset it when I take it off, I can put the pulley on with the mark up, and re-set it. also what are the torque specs for it?

alright, well, I got the top dead center crap down, but I can't get the crank pulley off. Should I put the head back on, just so that to turn the crank pulley its also turning the rest of the motor or is there a better way since the head is off? The PVC is too big to fit in the engine bay, so I'm gonna try an extension out of the wheel well and pvc it. its bedtime though. goodnight

Back