3A racing seats into 89 crx

what do u think of these seats (see link below)

• POLL CLOSED

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • POLL CLOSED - READ BE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OMG man, dont even think of buying these seats. i am so pissed. you can't even fabricate something custom to make them fit in my rex because... it turns out that the inner OEM bracket needs to sit right over the 2 mounting studs in the seat, and there is no way to drill through the bracket. its not wide enough. kind of a wierd design on honda's part. those mounting studs are the ONLY metal on the bottom of the seat! i am gonna just return it. its a piece of crap as far as im concerned. i hope they stop selling these things!

one more thing...you can't weld the seat to anything either because the mounting studs are behind the seat fabric and are surrounded by seatfoam!

corbeau makes sweet ass seats and they have mounting brackets for the CRX :)

:thumbsdown: That's too bad about the seat, and how it isn't working out. I am just getting probably sparco sprint's so I won't have any hassle at all.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Aug 5 2003, 03:53 AM
http://www.dominionperformance.com/catalog...g.0.html.1.html

(UPDATE 8/28/03):

THESE SEATS ARE EXTREMELY LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

- custom brackets/adapters ARE NOT AVAILABLE for ANY VEHICLE! i just got off the phone with 3A racing to confirm this.

- there is no metal on the underside of the seats except for the 4 studs where their "universal" brackets go.

- you can't weld the seat to anything because the mounting studs are behind the seat fabric and are surrounded by seatfoam!

according to rep from 3A Racing...there are 3 ways to install these seats:

1. see if their universal brackets bolt up to your existing seat bracket holes in your car's floor. (no dice for my 89 crx. not even remotely close.)

2. modify your oem brackets to work with the 4 mounting studs on the bottom of their seat.

3. bolt their universal brackets directly to the floor

NONE OF THESE SUGGESTIONS WILL WORK IN AN 88-89 CRX!!
trust me..i found out the hard way!!! for one thing...the crx's center console width prevents the seat from aligning with the steering wheel in my crx.

NOTE: THE REST OF THIS THREAD IS OLD.......

why dont you get a refund? or better yet, call and talk to the main guy and threaten them with either a small claims lawsuit, or calling the BBB and/or directing them to this thread?

tell them exactly who you are and what you intend to do to them if they do not remedy the situation.

companies like that fucking suck.

Or you could try comparing the bolt pattern on the bottom of the seat to Corbeaus and buy their brackets... they fit great, and are custom made to fit each car. Wedge Engineering makes custom brackets for almost everything- you could call them, tell them your seat bolt pattern, and have them fabricate some brackets for you too.

maybe i read the post wrong, but i have to disagree with you Cal...

from the .3 nanoseconds i skimmed through his update, i came away with the impression that they are claiming this seat is for every application and they offer no real customer service...
i dont see why he should go through the extra effort to make their product work on his car...

to me that is just wrong.

OR

if i read the update wrong, mea culpa.

No, you read the update right- it's a crappy response from the company, and the support sucks. I was just giving a route for him to follow if he still wants to get the seats to work in his car.

Originally posted by Calesta@Aug 29 2003, 01:29 PM
No, you read the update right- it's a crappy response from the company, and the support sucks. I was just giving a route for him to follow if he still wants to get the seats to work in his car.

:D

thanks for the suggestions mike and tony. i have a few days to return it still, but i am gonna ask this guy at work if he might be able to get it installed. he is actually a custom parts fabricator and a welder. he's worked in some off-road racing shops building truggies (cross between truck and a dune buggy) and just opened his own shop. if he says he cant...it is going back to pep boys ASAP.

I've got a 1990 CRX HF, and I stumbled across a couple of those seats.... Heres what you do. Weapon R sells the adapters to mount in the seats..... W/ a drill and a good sharp bit, you can open up the holes on the adapter a little bit, then they bolt up perfect! I've got them in my crx now!

tony...they are only $159 including the brackets and sliders (which are useles to me). had to give them a try.

Mailwho...THANK YOU FOR THAT INFO!!! :) can u post a pic of the underside of your driver seat maybe?? THANKS!!! :D

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Aug 29 2003, 03:34 PM
tony...they are only $159 including the brackets and sliders (which are useles to me). had to give them a try.

Mailwho...THANK YOU FOR THAT INFO!!! :) can u post a pic of the underside of your driver seat maybe?? THANKS!!! :D

159 only?

i think i might do what i did when i was a kid when my dad wanted to goto Kmart to check out the fishing supplies...

put my shirt over my head in case i saw somebody i knew and walk into pep boys to check them out :lol:

hehe. i will post some pics and measurements of the seat later on so you can decide whether or not they are worth a try. aside from the install problem, they are actually SWEET SEATS.

you contradict yourself a little.

they are sweet seats, yet they suck?

which one is it.

now an update...

1) YES! I got the frickin seat in finally! bolted a 1/8" thick aluminum plate to the bottom of the seat, then mounted the OEM seat brackets to that. alot easier said than done cause the inner bracket sits right on top of where the plate-to-seat mounting bolts needed to go.

2)TEST RIDE!! this is where the fun ends unfortunately. first off, my butt sits about 1.5" higher than the OEM seat, so my leg rubs the strg wheel on every shift. second, i gues the seat bottom is too narrow cause now i am getting bruised on my hip. it was only a 20 mile test ride but it convinced me that this seat is NOT going to work out.

3) FINAL VERDICT: its getting put back in the box and returned to pep boys ASAP.

notes:
- if it was the same ride height as the OEM seat, and if the seat bottom did not bruise my hip (if it was roomier)....i would have kept it.

- i found out the seats are identical to OBX seats which actually pass ISO 9000 standards! big thumbsup! also, overall quality of the seat seems to be very good.

- there were no door clearance issues. in fact, there was about an inch of clearance between the seat and the door when shut.

Hmm. Corbeaus sit about an inch lower in the CRX than the stock seats- you might want to try a set.

Back