'89 Prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I went with the euro r in my 89. I have nothing else to compare it with (only swap I've ever done), but I've been driving it for 7 years now and I've been very happy with that motor. Bought it from hmotorsonline. Cames with trans, shift cables and ecu (ditched the ecu and shift cables though. Used the 89s cables and a chipped p30). The extra hp of the euro r is nice, but I was more impressed with the trans. Nice gearing and the lsd is a must :)

If you have any other questions ask away. It's been a while. I'll see what I can remember. I had a nice album up on imagestation, but they've been closed since 08. Maybe I can dredge up some other pics from somewhere

I went with the euro r in my 89. I have nothing else to compare it with (only swap I've ever done), but I've been driving it for 7 years now and I've been very happy with that motor. Bought it from hmotorsonline. Cames with trans, shift cables and ecu (ditched the ecu and shift cables though. Used the 89s cables and a chipped p30). The extra hp of the euro r is nice, but I was more impressed with the trans. Nice gearing and the lsd is a must :)

If you have any other questions ask away. It's been a while. I'll see what I can remember. I had a nice album up on imagestation, but they've been closed since 08. Maybe I can dredge up some other pics from somewhere

Why did you ditch the shifter assembly and linkage for the 4th gen lude? So you are shifting backwars for the past 7 years?

Oops, I didn't specify on the shifter. I modified a 4th gen shift assembly so I wasn't shifting backwards, but I used my existing 3rd gen cables. The euro r came with a completely different shift assembly; a plastic base with cables that would've required a lot more modification. I just chopped the 3rd gen shift assembly from the base and welded in the 4th gen assembly. Works like a charm.

Although a cable did just break on me a few months back. Fortunately I still had those accord cables laying around. So now I have a euro r trans, one accord cable, one 3rd gen cable, and a 4th gen shift assembly welded to the 3rd gen base plate. Haha, whatever saves cash ;)

Oops, I didn't specify on the shifter. I modified a 4th gen shift assembly so I wasn't shifting backwards, but I used my existing 3rd gen cables. The euro r came with a completely different shift assembly; a plastic base with cables that would've required a lot more modification. I just chopped the 3rd gen shift assembly from the base and welded in the 4th gen assembly. Works like a charm.

Although a cable did just break on me a few months back. Fortunately I still had those accord cables laying around. So now I have a euro r trans, one accord cable, one 3rd gen cable, and a 4th gen shift assembly welded to the 3rd gen base plate. Haha, whatever saves cash ;)

OK, I see. That is some intuitive thinking to make it work. There are many different ways to get things to work.

I'm workin on an '89 Lude and I want to get rid of the B20A5 engine. Does anyone know the best swap for the buck on this model? :confused:
realy theres no god swap that cheap for this car you can put a h22a in there and thats about it other than the stock one

realy theres no god swap that cheap for this car you can put a h22a in there and thats about it other than the stock one

There is no better engine than the H22 into this chassis. The B20a5 is good on boost, but has its limits, the B16/18/20b motors will require custom mounts and shift linkage and still need to be modified to pull the best power out from them to be in the same class as an H22 motor.

Makes no sense to go backwards in displacement for a chassis that had a 2.0liter motor in it to begin with.

An H22 is 2.2liter VTEC motor that can be pushed hard and modified to pull even harder.

I recommend upgrading to the H22 swap, all the necessary parts to make this swap work has been concetrated on pp.com.(preludepower).

I sell the mounts and traction bar that are outstanding quality. I also sell the Ksport suspension for our chassis that were specifically made for the 3rd gen. I got ksport to make them in 2007.

I personally have done an H23A swap which cost me around $2900, which is relatively cheap compared to a B series swap with more power out of the box and potential.

www.1funryd.com - this is my site showing what I have had produced so far and what I sell to the 3rd gen community as well as to other cars.

For any questions email me at: onefunrydperformance@q.com

Sean

Back