Any SCCA guru's out there?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Well, I've decided to go track racing in my new civic, instead of drag racing. I know the solo and solo II classes are where everyone is at, but I would like to club race. I've never track raced on an amatuer level so I guess I would need to go solo a few times to get the hang of things.

Problem is, I started building my car before I decided to go SCCA. So my non-stock sized SIR-G brakes are illegal in just about every class. I've found a "street super stock" class that limits motor size to 3.1 liters or less, but my CX would get PWNED in that class. Unless I do the H22 supercharged swap.. Then I would have a fighting chance. There is NO WAY I am leaving my car as a CX in factory specs.

Just kind of lost. Not sure what to do. The goal is to club race on an amatuer level. So the current goal is to fit into a solo/II class that is somewhat fair. I could swap in an Si engine and try to wiggle into the civic Si class.. I don't think they would allow that, as they class cars by vin numbers and my car is also considerably lighter than the factory Si..

Anyone experienced with this kind of thing?

Quoted post[/post]]
welcome to street mod :)

oh, and you're fucked with the cx power plant. lol

Fucked with it as in stuck with it?? Like I can't change it? Or fucked as in MAD underpowered.. Because I knew that already. :dry:

I wonder if I could make a stealth vtec solenoid and valve cover to go with my z6 head :ph34r:

fucked as in mad underpowered,but you wont do that bad.

oh wait. yes you will.

the mirage wasnt too far off the pace :)

the mirage would also smoke a cx.. lol

with the gsr in the hatch, i was off class pace by about 1.5 seconds.

Well, it will very soon have front and rear ITR sway bars, Neuspeed springs, KYB AGX struts, skunk 2 pro camber kit, and SIR-G/GSR brakes at all four corners.. It should carve 'em up and stop really really well.

Now all I need is enough power to get it going again.

I'd sooner lose horribly to track vipers and corvettes than race in a CX powered class.

I've been reading the rules, and they do allow brake upgrades.. and motor swaps, as long as the badging matches.. But then it says something about the motor having to come stock or as an option. So does that mean I can slap a B16 in it? What about a 'teggy or 'lude engine?

you can put any motor into any chassis. but you'll be in preparred class... and racing against quarter migets, and like that hill climb vid car i posted the other day.

starting with a CX is the wrong way to stay in a stock class.
you're going to want the motor swap.... and well, that puts you in street mod until you gut it. when you gut it, you go to preparred class. and see above about that.

Not to thread steal but I to want to get into SCCA racing...where will my 92 Sedan LX with Turbo'd Z6 go into? street mod? I just need sway bars and a rear brake upgrade and I think ill be set.

Quoted post[/post]]
pretty much anything with a swap and retains full interior minus rear seats = street mod.

What other vehicles do you see in street mod? Gotta size up the competition.

I will not be gutting the interior at all, as a matter of fact, This car will have the full interior with radio and speakers and all.. along with functional A/C. (I will probably remove the A/C belt on track days) Its my daily driver.

highly modified sti's, evos, wrxs, m3's

:p street mod is no joke. other than preparred classes, its usually the FASTEST class at nationals.

Feck. :dry:

Maybe I should sell my CX, buy an Si, and compete in stock class..

I'm going to have to max out all the rules and make that little civic a contender. Thats going to cost alot of $$$. :cry:

Is there no lower class that allows motor, brake, and suspension upgrades??

upgrades, yes.
swaps, no.

if you want to be competetive in a stock honda, your best bet is a 91 crx si, 95 civic si, or an integra GSR.

but, who cares.

autoX is designed to better yourself as a driver more than anything. it's not about winning.

as long as YOU keep on progressing your self, you're on your way to become a driver.

and congrats on taking the step away from drag racing and into something that actually requires skill, not just a butt load of power :)

that should make 6 of us now who are out of drag racing :)

I wonder how far the words "stock engine" can be stretched.. Such as a Civic Si motor in a Civic CX. And Civic Si brakes on a CX..

If that would be allowed, I could change my brake swap and play in the "street touring" category.. Maybe..

Or if I could even stretch the meaning to a Civic SiRII engine.

And alot of the rules on the engine state "block" but make no mention of the head.. If I could swap my z6 head onto it... I think I'm dreaming.. :dunno:

locally, you can get away with a lot of "cheating".

but at nationals, you'll be sent home crying.

other competetors in your class have the right to challenge your car.

noone better to ask than your local classers... find out who classes cars at your local autocross, and ask them.

i personally, dont cheat. its that bitch with the modded focus that should be in DSP that cheats. i could cheat easily though, since noone there has ever seen a freaking mirage besides mine.

1.6DOHC :) comes stock in a few extremely rare summit LSi's.

Quoted post[/post]]
Well, I've decided to go track racing in my new civic, instead of drag racing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quoted post[/post]]
who cares.

autoX is designed to better yourself as a driver more than anything. it's not about winning.

as long as YOU keep on progressing your self, you're on your way to become a driver.

:werd:

Just go try it for fun, and don't worry about winning. Make sure you like it first before you sink too much money into it!

Quoted post[/post]]
and congrats on taking the step away from drag racing and into something that actually requires skill, not just a butt load of power :)

that should make 6 of us now who are out of drag racing :)

:werd:

You're counting me in there, right? :p

I'm actually going to an autox with my car in 3 weeks at teh final event of the 'season' at CLemson. Just for kicks though. Will be my first attempt at autox.

I'm going to be building my car over the winter and hoping to get a good start at racing some time around spring.

Finally got in all the suspension parts.. Going to be replacing every suspension component as well as the brakes. Should be fun!

Back