b16 vs b18

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alright cool, i trust u guys so i will go with them, next question, and i know its been asked 100 times but since this thread is alright started i was wondering what kinda of wiring will i have to do. i no i need to stick with an obd1 engine, but isn't there a vtec wire-up i need to do. mayb someone could point me to the right link/thread. thanx

sounds to me like you want the gsr, and yes your gsr in a del sol would smoke an integra gsr, the weight difference between a eg civic and an integra is like 800- 1000 pounds , im not sure how much the delsol weighs but its gota be close to the civic . Also the gsr is a better option for NA because its has the much needed torque that the b16 lacks , Also the resale value is much better and easier to sell

you say you have the d16z6 the vtec should already be taken care of for you. Even the S model del sols came prewired for vtec

ok quick question, first off i would like to say i am going to install a b18c1 into my sol eventually but here is the question. i came across $700. could i drop that in my d16z6 and come reasonably close to the hp/trq of the b18? or should i just save it to put into my b18 when i gt the money?

well your d16, which puts out about 125 hp , would need 55 hp to match the ouput of the b18c1 (180hp) , the only way to make that power for the least amount of money would be to use NOS. But for you right now in my opinon , to make the most power for the least money, would be to build and boost your d16z6, ive heard of people making 300 whp with a d16z6 engine boosted with internals for about $3000

thanx for the input. but i dont want to boost be thing right no, plus i don't have 3000 or even 1000 to put towards a turbo. i was askin like i/h/e and maybe the underdrive pullys altho idk if everyone is yay or nay on underdrive i no i won't do it on the b18. could i chip the d16 to like 8k rpm's and still be safe, i just really like high rpm motors.

im a fan of the hi rpm;s as well, but even with all those mods to your si motor , you wont make the 55 hp, and 30 torque equivelent to the gsr , in my opinon u, should save that money you have for the si, and put towards what you really want , cause you jus throwing money away at that engine with very little gain

Last edited:
um u can put cams and a light weight flywheel and clutch on ur del sol... not 2 talk smak on a b18 i knw they move but i got a b16a in my eg coupe, and ive been spankin gsr left and right and all i got is a spoon chip dat i payed 50 buck on ebay and had it put on for 75 at the speed shop, and a 7 pound flywheel with a stage 3 clutch and i got a 13.9 at the track with street tires... i got my whole b16 swap for 1500, so pretty much for about $2300 i got myslef a hi 13 car... complete stock internals... just somthin 2 think about wen ppl wanna say b16 r slow... but my got a ls/vtec and he rips da shit out of me by lik 1/2 a car everytim we run and he spent less then me

For $700(in used parts) you can be faster than a stock B16 or some B18A/B's, but a B18C should still be faster.

Last edited:
im a fan of the hi rpm;s as well, but even with all those mods to your si motor , you wont make the 55 hp, and 30 torque equivelent to the gsr , in my opinon u, should save that money you have for the si, and put towards what you really want , cause you jus throwing money away at that engine with very little gain

There's a few D16Z6s and D16Y8s in the 160-180whp range, all-motor. But, they have more then bolt-on's in there and plenty of tuning.

How about this; what's your goal?

i knw das almost nothin but 1/2 a car but ive havnt been able 2 beat him and me and him been at it for lik 2 months... but anyway he's had that ls/vtec for lik a year so far and he's had no problems

all im sayin b18 r good but dont sleep on a b16 and ls/vtec r just as responsible if u dont over rev them... and no motor even stock live long after an over rev das all im sayin

im jus saying cause ive raced alot of B16's . and didnt even launch my car, jus roll out of first , and they launch at llike 4500 , and by the time i hit 4th, i have like 6 car lenghts and climing,

all i have to say is, b18c type R JDM first gen . period , fuckin over rev that shit all year long, and still have no problems till 350 000 k

well b18 do hav good torque, but dudeman should biuld wat he want we can tell u wat we lik wat we think is best but the truth is they hav all been don and any swap u do will mak a big difference so tak ur pick and look at wat u want

if you buy a b18c1 wiring should be simple. Obd1 to obd1 means no odd wiring.
if you are not planning on boosting i would def. put a 1.8 in your car.

Hey wassup, if your looking for a COMPLETE B18C1 OBD1 swap....Im selling one in MN....The advantage is you get axle and linkage and mounts to complete the package....Its a JDM B18C1 OBD1 straight from OSAKA JAPAN MOTOR INC. in New York...I have Papers....25,000-40,000 miles on it....i put about a good 2000 miles on the motor RUNS STRONG....things i replace was the Oil cam seal, Vtec Solenoid gasket, Oil Pan Gasket, Head Valve Gasket, Fuel Pressure Regulator ( ADJ.), might put in Adjustable Cams i got from my brother off his GSR... Motor is inspected all around when I got it....from leaks to compression tests....I run it with AMS Oil 5w-30....After all the works a cost over 3500 bucks, finding the linkage and drive shafts....STUPID guy sent me some bull linkage and driver side axle which doesnt even fit so i shipped it back and found myself some good stuff from the junk yard.....If you like PM me....Im looking around 3400- 3500 COMPLETE CHANGE OVER.....Its perfect as i said with all the gasket CHANGED....If you understand how bad JDM motor are....as they just sit in the warehouse...

i don't want to boost, im not really concerned on hp right now cause i know if i want to i can always add more. so for now i would say around 180hp. ive just heard the b18's torque is impressive on these little cars. i know b16 can be pretty potent but i want the torque.

Back