B16A2 head build....(prepare for some long wind)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Get a GSR/ITR girdle :) Also, I believe there's cheaper aftermarket girdles out there(3-point ones).

For the ERL, it shown as MSRP so I guess it would be best to just call them and ask how much it really is. It's a nice unit, but definitely not cheap.

I'm still learning, so I am not even sure that I would need one for my build. I also have not run into after market girdles. Then again, I have not gotten to that point and researched them, yet.

*raises hand* Who the heck makes sleeves for B20's? I'm looking at sleeves here and there, went to the Darton site, and they don't make them for the B20. Are B20 sleeves hard to find?

Woooooo...this almost took an act of congress to find. AEBS - Advanced Engine Breathing Systems, LLC.

It seems like AEBS is the only manufacturer that makes sleeves for the B20. At least, that is all I have been able to find.

Here's another one I just found. Block Sleeving

I would have to guess, not assume, that AEBS is so far the only manufacturer that makes sleeves for this block.

Last edited:
This is something I DON'T ever want to happen to anyone. Hence, yet another reason to take your time and do your research before, as Blanco has said many times, throwing things together and making your engine go boom. :D

Attachments

• pwned.jpg
    pwned.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,516
This is something I DON'T ever want to happen to anyone. Hence, yet another reason to take your time and do your research before, as Blanco has said many times, throwing things together and making your engine go boom. :D

It looks like someone dropped it from the 323654th floor of their apartment.

It looks like someone dropped it from the 323654th floor of their apartment.

Now that would be impressive. I was thinking more along the line of rushing everything, not getting a proper tune and then the engine went boom...literally.

How would you guys rate the following IM's: AEBS (wipes drool), Edelbrock, and Skunk 2. Mind you whichever one I end up going with (wipes drool again after looking at the AEBS) will be used for forced induction.

Just a brief updated. I said before that I had run into some financial problems, due to my hours at work being cut. (If I hadn't mentioned this before, hey, guess what? My hours got cut at work so that screwed my plans big time) In hopefully a week's time one of my two "children" (a.k.a. my EG four door or my EK hatchback) will be back from their transplant (my EG has a Z6 with a DX tranny which is being swapped into the EK, and my EK has an automatic tranny which is being swapped to manual with the EG's tranny, then the EG is getting an Si tranny for the Z6 it has in it..yay!) and I will be applying for an almost guaranteed and well needed second job. *doing the happy dance* This will help get my finances straight almost immediately AND allow me to continue my builds. *moon walks across the room*

I'm still learning, so I am not even sure that I would need one for my build. I also have not run into after market girdles. Then again, I have not gotten to that point and researched them, yet.

Main girdles are just extra strength for the block that can be bolted on. From my point of view, you spend all that money on other internals, maybe even sleeves, why not buy something that is comparatively inexpensive, and will only increase the strength of your bottom end.

How would you guys rate the following IM's: AEBS (wipes drool), Edelbrock, and Skunk 2. Mind you whichever one I end up going with (wipes drool again after looking at the AEBS) will be used for forced induction.

Cant give you any info from personal experience here, but Ive seen the JG/Edelbrock Victor X on quite a few high power boosted setups. The price doesnt seem too bad either.

Main girdles are just extra strength for the block that can be bolted on. From my point of view, you spend all that money on other internals, maybe even sleeves, why not buy something that is comparatively inexpensive, and will only increase the strength of your bottom end.

Cant give you any info from personal experience here, but Ive seen the JG/Edelbrock Victor X on quite a few high power boosted setups. The price doesnt seem too bad either.

I definitely agree with the main girdles being worth while.

As far as Intake Manifold's go, I know that Skunk2's have a larger plenum and better or longer runners than most. As far as I have read, this is good. How, umm, I'm still trying to figure this out. haha I know it has to do with better flow. I agree that the price seems good too, as the Skunk2 and Edelbrock IM's seem to run around the same price. All that I am sure about as far as IM's go is that I will NOT be going with a polished IM.

My name is Sam. as for my build I roll with the single overhead cam motors lol I have a d16y8 in my civic now, but it just jumped time. My car makes me wanna cry man. lol As lame as that sounds. I also have a y7 block that I am going to build up to eventually drop in my car when I have replaced the pistons and rods. Right now I am trying to talk this guy down on a set of viatara pistons, and then I will eventually pick up some eagle h beam rods. Oh and I have an f22b2 that is kinda just chillin til I decide what I wanna do with it. But either way I am watching this build. I am learning a lot and I don't even have a b-series motor. "Learning is fun!"

My name is Sam. as for my build I roll with the single overhead cam motors lol I have a d16y8 in my civic now, but it just jumped time. My car makes me wanna cry man. lol As lame as that sounds. I also have a y7 block that I am going to build up to eventually drop in my car when I have replaced the pistons and rods. Right now I am trying to talk this guy down on a set of viatara pistons, and then I will eventually pick up some eagle h beam rods. Oh and I have an f22b2 that is kinda just chillin til I decide what I wanna do with it. But either way I am watching this build. I am learning a lot and I don't even have a b-series motor. "Learning is fun!"

Learning is a very powerful tool. How much is that guy charging you for the Vitara's? Here's a site FJ Distributors where you can get the Vitara's at, for what I believe to be a good price. What is your goal for your Y7, Sam?

lol $80 for the pistons I am just a budget freak if I can cut $1 from a part to spend towards somethin else I will do it. As for the y7 the vitara pistons would be goin in there. The block will be built with the vitara pistons, forged eagle rods, arp rod bolts, new oil pan gasket, I also need to weld the crack in my turbo oil pan I have. Then I am droppin that block in the car with the y7 head I have til I have the chance to build the head with cams, cam gears, valves, retainers, PnP, and 3 angle valve job then slap that on with a new head gasket and find myself a turbo kit somewhere along the way. Lookin to push 300 or more horses. I will probably get an engine managment unit that can have two different tunes so I can have a tune for all out balls to the wall power, then a more modest setup for the road. I have big goals. how bout you with your b16 if you go with that block?

That's smart man. Why overspend, you know? It just makes sense to save a few bucks here and there as long as you are not short cutting your build.

What size turbo are you planning on using? I have read of quite a few Y7's making some very good power using the Vitara set up.

It sounds like you have a good plan. Will you be getting your blocked sleeved? I was talking with Blanco about that, and besides needing a boost controller in order to have both set ups, there are a lot of calculations that need to be considered.

Chances are that I will not be going with the B16 block, even though it did come with Eagle Rods. It will most likely be sold soon. We shall see what happens.

As far as what block I will be going with, that may or may not be determined within the next few days, pending a conversation with someone that has a block in which I am VERY interested in. Trust me Sam, there will be updates as soon as something update worthy happens. :D

On a side note, after having swapped out my engine back in November and never felt the "power of VTEC" since I have owned my Civic....WE NOW HAVE VTEC! haha Man, it was so funny when I got to the crossover point. I started laughing my ass off. I told myself "so this is what people make such a big deal about." It was GREAT! haha The swap that I am talking about was an upgrade to a Z6...which now has an Si tranny bolted to it, and a re-programmed, or chipped P28 to compliment it. I'm loving the gearing of the Si tranny versus the old Lx tranny.

damn man I bet that thing flys dude. even with the z6 in there. and I am definately not gonna short change myself. And most likely I will have someone tune it for me. I can tear apart a motor and build it back up, but I can't tune at all yet. and yeah block will probably get sleeved, and maybe bored out a little I haven't decided. Well when you do swap the b-series in let me know I am in the market for an si tranny! or will be down the road. As for the turbo I don't really know yet I know what I wanna do motor wise not quite turbo yet. That is the last thing I will be worrying about. At one point I was gonna do a homemade setup with a t28. I may still do that but I am not sure.

Last edited:
I'm already looking for a shop to do my tune. I've gotten lucky thus far that I have someone very knowledgeable to build the engine up for me. The machine shop will do any boring and honing, of course and he will build the engine up after I provide him the parts.

Let me tell you Sam, it's very nice to say the least and moves very well as far as I am concerned.
How much is your head work going to run and have you priced sleeves yet? Sleeving is up there in cost, but definitely well worth it in my opinion.

By the way, I have bad news for you. See, the Si tranny was actually getting saved for my second build. :D I have a full D16Z6 here, just waiting to have work started on it. Right now I am concentrating on getting all the parts for the B build and go from there. The built Z6 (whenever it is finally done that is) will end up in my sedan and the B will most likely end up in my hatchback. At least, that is the plan for now. In essence, the Si tranny will be in my car until the next Ice Age. :D Sorry to break it to you. haha

Back