B16's Time Trial Road Racing Del Sol Overhaul Thread!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well, the old tried and true way is to just drive it normally for about 500 to 1000 miles, while changing the oil 1 to 3 times.

the new way, that some are arguing is to get into third gear, take it up to redline, then, let off the gas while keeping it in gear to let it slow itself down.
and do that a couple of times.
something about how the new technology that we have eliminates the need to baby it to break it in. the claim is that the quick acceleration to redline and the strong vacuum caused by allowing it rev itself down in gear helps break it in.

somebody will link you to that article im sure.

i just hope i remembered it correctly, been a few years since i read it.

^^^^I read that some were too but the old ways have always worked.. but some will argue about how to properly break in a fresh motor

do you know how much oil it burned? my b16 with JE pistons+rings burns like 1qt every 500-1000 miles.. i clocked them and installed them right too lol...

Thanks guys.

I do not know how much it consumed. Engine had like 15 miles on it before I tore it down again. Lol

trial and error is the best lesson learned. you cant learn that in a book, and they cant teach you that at school. for every screw up, there is a valuable lesson waiting to be learned... like not to drink when building engines...lol...

She runs!!! again!! lol..

Compression is now 260 psi across the board.

trial and error is the best lesson learned. you cant learn that in a book, and they cant teach you that at school. for every screw up, there is a valuable lesson waiting to be learned... like not to drink when building engines...lol...
lol.. so true on all counts!

as for break in...

i beat the shit out of mine from day 1. i did some street tuning and did the leaving it in gear thing that was mentioned. it was on the dyno revving to 9000 with less than 100 miles on the engine lol.

the hard break-in worked well for me as well. mine was done on the dyno and saw 8000 rpm pulls in its first hour of run time. still runs perfect 2 years later, no oil consumption, just did a comp test a few weeks ago and it was dead even at 200 psi across the board (not a high compression build, only 9.7:1).

well, the old tried and true way is to just drive it normally for about 500 to 1000 miles, while changing the oil 1 to 3 times.

the new way, that some are arguing is to get into third gear, take it up to redline, then, let off the gas while keeping it in gear to let it slow itself down.
and do that a couple of times.
something about how the new technology that we have eliminates the need to baby it to break it in. the claim is that the quick acceleration to redline and the strong vacuum caused by allowing it rev itself down in gear helps break it in.

somebody will link you to that article im sure.

i just hope i remembered it correctly, been a few years since i read it.

I did that on my CRZ for several hundred miles on the was to Southbridge. Funny thing is that I still got 43MPG. :p

Awesome, way back in the day you got me interested in HPDE's which has led me into STL SCCA.
Nice! I just went through your GSR build thread. I see you're no stranger to build issues either.. haha.. Did you get a new motor for your CX yet?

Nice! I just went through your GSR build thread. I see you're no stranger to build issues either.. haha.. Did you get a new motor for your CX yet?

Ha! Issues!

Yeah I decided to go with an all motor B18B with cams and high comp. STL should be an interesting class since its basically a toned down STU class.

I dont want to take away from your thread but I will be doing another full build out and welding in a full roll cage etc.

Back