Bandwidth Management w/Linksys WRT54G

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

Well guys, I have an annoying roomate. For the most part, hes cool, until he starts gaming. When he games on the net, the internet comes to a halt. I have no idea how to do it wirelessly.

I looked at the Linksys management and they had QoS for wired where you can insert MAC, set priority and then limit upload, but they dont have it for wireless. What might it be under? Or is there a software for me to do this.

I don't mind him playing it, but i do mind it when its hogging all the bandwidth and no body else can get on because its so slow. BTW, its DSL 3 meg (I kno some have 34058345 meg service, but i dont) and its DHCP, which is weird. My setup at home you have to put in the PPOE crap or watever but this one doesnt. Its auto. I also tried changing channels and changing the MTB to 1492, but no cookie.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks.

have you tried just using the qos with the mac address for his computer. it might say wired only (or give that impression) but i would guess you can do it wired as well.

There is a section under QoS for wireless, but theres nothing there except a place to activate or turn off. Unlike the wired section where it has a place to enter everything i mentioned above. Does turning it on mean that whatever i entered in the wired section applies for the wireless too?

Any other solutions beside putting him on a wired LAN?

i mean try it in the wired section. if its mac specific, it will probably apply to wireless. it couldnt hurt to try.

yeah you should be able to set he QoS based on a mac address wether it's wireless or not

Back