Celerity's Ninja Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i mean in terms of sport bikes.

i know there are some low end bikes. then the buell of course. but i guess the big 4 are what i'm referring to.

OH, well what I'm getting at is the Japanese bikes are the lower end of bikes.

Cheap bikes are a quality all their own. Again, dollars per smile.

The Aprilia RSV1000R is $12k.

So anyway, took the bike out this morning (traded hours with someone at work so I could ride)

WHAT A FUCKING RUSH. Dude, I'm never going back to a cruiser. This thing is so controllable in the corners it's nutty.

Cheap bikes are a quality all their own. Again, dollars per smile.

The Aprilia RSV1000R is $12k.

So anyway, took the bike out this morning (traded hours with someone at work so I could ride)

WHAT A FUCKING RUSH. Dude, I'm never going back to a cruiser. This thing is so controllable in the corners it's nutty.
yep, it handles great. there are a lot of 250 racing leagues. break the tires in right though so you don't slide out. those tires suck.

Congrats man. Finally you got it.

I'm glad on your choice of Icon gear. Its literally the name of my company, and every employee but one rocks at least an icon jacket on their bike.

I personally would recommend, drive as much as you can to the point you're more comfortable on it. The first probably 10x I rode my motorcycle(although it is a super sport) I never left 2nd gear, and never broke like 35mphs. So when I finally hit up an event up here, I wasn't confident enough to keep up and get on the free way and such. Now after riding it almost every week, and putting over 500 miles on it, I'm getting more confident with my ability to go downtown, and get around town well.

Soon I'm going to be taking the Advance MSF course, and scheduling a few track events myself.

Yeah, tonight I'll take a little spin on my street in the dark, Then tomorrow I'm going a few towns away.

YAY

God cars suck. I had a great ride today, did 22 miles in one shot. The gloves make the turn signals a real pain in the ass. I've decided to leave the signal on until I was stable enough to actually grip-off and shut them off.

I didn't even realise the temperate until someone told me, breath clouding in front of their nose .. "Aren't you cold?!" The gear is great. Not a problem at all.

The Ninja has a neutral switch for the light in the pedal, and no in the trans. That means that I kick it into neutral and it doesn't tell me anything about it. So I sit at a stop light and argue with it until the light turns green. My novice clutch work bit me once or twice today, and the bike wound up not too happy with me by the end of my nervous ride.

But I got that little sucker on the highway today ... 60 mph in 6th is~7200 rpm Holy gearing, batman !

Last edited:
Now you have an idea of why my Turbo civic went bye bye after I picked up a SS bike =)

This thing is so controllable in the corners it's nutty.
I've spent some time on a friends Ninja 500, (2003) in fact I tried selling it here awhile back. The bike is a nice bike but if you want to talk about controllable in the corners sit your ass on a new 600 super sport. holy shit talk about night and day. =)

Not saying you can't go fast on a ninja 250/500, you can just go much faster with much less work on a 600, and I'm not talking about because of the power.
But, most supersport bike riders can't ride worth shit, thats where you get the good rider on a 250 can beat a 600 easily on backroad comments.

God cars suck. I had a great ride today, did 22 miles in one shot. The gloves make the turn signals a real pain in the ass. I've decided to leave the signal on until I was stable enough to actually grip-off and shut them off.

Cars do suck, always watch the wheels of sitting cars, you can easily tell when a wheel starts to turn rather, people tend to roll a tad bit forward before pulling out, I figure this is the (auto) factor. people lift up on the brake and the car rolls a tiny bit before they mash on the gas. again watch the wheels!

What kind of gloves are you wearing? Are they really thick? even so, I'm still surprised you're having issues with the turn sigs, Is the knob hard to push in? maybe its dirty? Give it a few months and you'll be turning the signals on and off mid turns =) Or reaching down touching the pavement with your hand for shits and giggles.

also you are wearing ear plugs right?

Today was cold again.

My gear does really good in this weather - and I'm getting used to when the helmet fogs up (open it when you're at a lower speed). The gloves are Icon short gloves, But I may have been a bit stupid to blame the turn signal issues on my gloves. I'm getting better at them, like you said.

But what I REALLY learned today was what a patch of sand could do. The bike slid out from under me about 6 inches and aligned near the double lines again. Luckily I was alone on the corner, and I saw it with plenty time and response. But I still didn't realise how slippery it is. And now I will :)

Still having a blast on it though. The wind has been blowing this weekend, keeping me off the highway. I had it up on the highway every day, but only exit-hopping. When the wind blows it gets alittle squirrelly. Again, I'm sure I'll learn how to deal with it.

God what an awesome thing. Every day I regret when the ride is over.

Yeah, sand is bad. Gravel is the devil. You hit even the slightest bit of gravel in a corner, you'd better be ready to pull some crazy shit. If I see those kinds of hazards coming, if I can do it safely, I'll right the bike and ride straight across, then continue cornering. If not, I do whatever I can to scrub speed before hitting it, then kinda coast across.

Yeah, sand can be a bitch. I rode a dirt bike for so long, I thought nothing of it, but when I got on a street bike, I learned real quick to stay away from it. I live out it redneckville with a lot of dirt roads, so you patches on the street fairly often. Then again, they've paved almost every road now, so I don't have much to worry about.

I read your reviews and reminisce about my motocross days. You make me want to buy a dirt bike again so bad rather than a street bike, but seeing as I don't have a truck to carry it around anymore, I'm going with a street.

Yeah, sand can be a bitch. I rode a dirt bike for so long, I thought nothing of it, but when I got on a street bike, I learned real quick to stay away from it. I live out it redneckville with a lot of dirt roads, so you patches on the street fairly often. Then again, they've paved almost every road now, so I don't have much to worry about.

I read your reviews and reminisce about my motocross days. You make me want to buy a dirt bike again so bad rather than a street bike, but seeing as I don't have a truck to carry it around anymore, I'm going with a street.

Dirt > Street

I miss riding dirt bikes but no where near as bad as I'd miss street bikes.

Dirt > Street

I miss riding dirt bikes but no where near as bad as I'd miss street bikes.
Damn you! I was hoping people would say the opposite. I can afford to buy a dirt bike right now and I've been thinking about it so much. While I have the money, I may get both =).

It's one extreme or the other for me. I'm very experienced in motocross, so I'm talking about hitting up some tracks, jumping, flying through rough trails, and etc. With an enduro, everything would fall off and they're nowhere near as agile.

Then go street. I imagine you can get a used dirt bike and it will be used the same as a new one. And you KNOW a dirtbike was beaten on. With a streetbike, a "beaten one" is completely unpleasurable to own.

OH, and I hate my helmet lock. It hangs my helmet right on the pipe.

I mean, is there a better way to use this ? How do people hook their helmet on the back like it's solid ?

Back