Colin's EK Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I pulled the head tonight and confirmed the problem. This IDIOT put the gasket on backwards. I can't believe I screwed this up. I've done HG's on these motors plenty of times.
DSCN2105.jpg

It is NOT supposed to look like this
DSCN2106.jpg

More like this:
DSCN2107.jpg

I'm not too concerned about the bottom end bearings. I recorded the startup and it ran for about 15 seconds before I shut it down. The oil light came on about half way through that. When I pulled the cam caps off, they were still full of green assy lube. Assuming here the bottom is still good too. Now I've got a week to sit and wait for another custom cometic HG.

Orrrr... I could use the stock thickness gasket I have and push 12.7:1 CR....

I'd reuse the headgasket. When I did my SOHC VTEC swap I reused the headgasket like 4 times, sealed every time. But I know mostly everyone here is against that.

And I agree, your bottom end should be fine, only the head starved and you checked it.

I went ahead and called cometic and ordered another gasket. This time I did a custom .045" thickness. This is a little thinner than the old one and will put me at 12:1cr.

I'd reuse the headgasket. When I did my SOHC VTEC swap I reused the headgasket like 4 times, sealed every time. But I know mostly everyone here is against that.

Normally the cost of a soch vtec unless heavily modded isnt quite the same cost as a b series build like this.

It worked out but I wouldnt go around reccomending that.

Talking about a $100 max for peace of mind at the minimum.

Dont worry sidude, I put my main caps on backwards but luckily caught them before I fully assembled everything. It happens and it seems you have no damage from the screw up.

i wouldnt worry about the bottom end. the engine didnt run nearly long enough to do anything catastrophic

Head is on, everything is bolted back up except the intake and the catback. Commence firing up tomorrow after work.

Got it running. This time no oil spewing everywhere:)

-Fired it up on a stock ITR tune adjusted for the bigger injectors. Cams at +2in -1ex
-let it run for 15 minutes. Gonna change the oil now.
-No smoke or knocking
-Got CEL's for the o2 sensor, and knock sensor. Pretty sure the knock is toast.
-I was going to bleed the coolant, but the stat never opened. When I went to shut it down, Hondata said coolant temp was at 205 degrees.

Finished changing the oil. The stuff that came out didn't look like glitter - I'll take that as a good sign. I need to check the wiring on the LC-1. The gauge isn't working and I have a CEL for the o2 sensor. For now I'll run the car on the stock o2, and use the wide band solely for tuning/monitoring purposes.

I still need to figure out why the thermostat wasn't opening. It could be because I didn't let it run long enough, the thing is faulty (worked before), or I installed it backwards (this would not surprise me).

i have never done trouble shooting on a tstat.
if im not 100% positive that it works. i replace it. they're cheap.

or, if the car is overheating. then, the diagnostic is pretty straight forward.

i have never done trouble shooting on a tstat.
if im not 100% positive that it works. i replace it. they're cheap.

or, if the car is overheating. then, the diagnostic is pretty straight forward.

Back