Engine cutting out at 6700 with GSR ecu

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

Hi there guys.
Me again with the B20b and B16 head swap in a 1997 civic hx.
What head do i have if it says pr3-3 on the head? Also i have a gsr p72 ecu in my swap, which is suppose to redline at 8000. My old computer was the hx computer, which redlined at 6700. I used the old harness with the new ecu, but it cuts out at 6700. Anyone know why?

Thanks for any help
Khai

I am running vtec, but it is not hooked up right. I have check engine for vtec p1259 or something like that on a code reader and something something about block 1. I also a check engine for coolant level sensor. I am fixing these soon. Would that have soemthing to do with it cutting out. And i am not sure if my ecu is a manual. Is a automatic p72 redline at 6700? If so how can i tell if my ecu is automatic. If it is automatic would i still have vtec?
Thanks for the help guys.

Khai

Hey there. I looked into it and GSR are only manual. So it could not be stick, unless P72 ecus are not only in GSRs. Any other ideas why my car is redlining at 6700 my old motor and ecu redline?

Khai

GSRs are only manual???????? Uhhhh... well.... I guess I can't remember ever SEEING an automatic. I find that a little hard to believe tho....

Well, it is definetly connected to your VTEC. What do you mean by "cuts out"?

Stock cars have a rev limiter that will stop you from over-reving your motor. You said the car shuts down or doesn't accelerate. Which one is it? If you can accelerate to 6700 rpms and it hits a REV LIMITER, then you have a problem with the ECU. If you simply don't have power past 6700 but can still rev past that then I dunno.

I am not great with terms, sorry, but what i am saying is that it seems like it has a rev limiter. It will not let me accelerate past 6700. I have tons of power until it hits there it just doens't go past.

Ok tell me if this makes sense. My car is a b20b with b16 head. I just got it swapped into my 97 civic hx coupe. My previous ecus redline limiter is at 6700. Mu swapped ecu is a p72 gsr. These ecu should have a limiter of 8000 rpm. My car is still limiting my rpms to 6700. I know i have power to make it past that, but it is not allowing me to.

Dude. I fucking understand what engine you have. I understand what your problem is. What I don't understand is HOW it is not letting you rev past 6700. Is it bouncing off the rev limiter? Or does it just kinda sit at 6700 with it floored. A rev limiter will let you hit 6700 (or whatever it is set at) and continue to "bounce" off the rev limiter. A wiring problem will just lose power at 6700 rpms and sit there without enough power to keep accelerating. Get it?

It is not bouncing off the rev limiter, it just sits there. It feels like the engine just cuts out, but i know i have power to make it past 6700, it just is not letting me. for example my car will be flying up in the rpms and once it hits that 6700 it just stays there (with the pedal down it does nothing but sits there) until the rpms go back down.

That is what I am asking. It is NOT a problem with your rev limiter which means that it is not a problem with the ecu. You most likely have a problem with the wiring. Just out of curiosity, when you are NOT driving, just sitting in your garage and you put the car in neutral and floor the gas does it still stop at 6700 or does it hit the limiter. ie, does it only stop under acceleration or does it just stop at 6700 no matter what?

Back