EVO Vs. RX-8 Vs WRX Vs 350z

what one would you buy for 25-30k?

• STi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rx8

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 31 2003, 02:22 AM
the rotary engine is not a 2.6, 3.9, 857857.7, or anything else its a 1.3
it doesnt matter how you want to try to justify it
oh but it makes 3 compressions for every revolution
all that means is that its a more efficient engine design than the standard piston engine
it doesnt ingrease the displacement

what is the general definition of displacement? total volume of air/fuel that an engine can draw into all of its cylinder in one cycle right? look at it this way; when one of the chambers is at the combustion chamber/area, the other chamber is drawing in air/fuel.

an example that many people use is (mostly about the small displacement honda engines) the motor wouldnt even 2-liter bottle. so if you take a b18c; make it suck up water instead of air/fuel mixture. turn the crank two times because the 4-stroke cycle is two revolutions and you will notice it will suck up about 1.8Ls right? now do the same with a rotary(13b) engine, but turn the crank once b/c its full cycle occurs in one revolution. you will notice the engine will draw in about 2.6L.

you guys both make valid points, its hard to decide whos right....

Originally posted by K2e2vin@May 30 2003, 03:48 PM
Scott Oldham of SCC got the evo to 13.5, so that is pretty close.

subaru claims the sti can do 13.4 seconds (even though the IT guys managed a 13.0 - and without touching anything). now thats impressive! i still cant beleive there will be all these guys and ladies who probably dont know a damn thing about performance, driving around in 13 second cars.

Originally posted by rixXxceboy+May 31 2003, 06:03 AM-->
@May 30 2003, 03:48 PM
Scott Oldham of SCC got the evo to 13.5, so that is pretty close.

subaru claims the sti can do 13.4 seconds (even though the IT guys managed a 13.0 - and without touching anything). now thats impressive! i still cant beleive there will be all these guys and ladies who probably dont know a damn thing about performance, driving around in 13 second cars.

and they wonder why their car got stolen.

you cant compare a Rotary engine to a normal combustion engine. thats like comparing a 2.0L diesel to a 2.0L gas. it doesnt work. U have apples and oranges.

its like trying to compare a chevy 5.7 and a done up DOHC 4 or 6. You take away the DOHC and the motor sux. If you wanna compare true apples to apples see how much power the block alone makes without any smancy things on it. then you will see what the block is doing and how much spending oodles of money can affect its outcome.

for example the mini coopers 1.6 to a b16. the b16 owns it. this year the supercharged S hits 200 HP. well just looking on these boards i know you can get a NA B16 over 200hp let alone putting a supercharger on it!!!

displacement is the poor mans route to power. but if you have the time and skills you can take a very small engine and get some amazing number out of it (2.0L EVO makes almost 300)

a rotary engine makes 3 full combustion cycles per full rotation
a 4 stroke piston engine needs 2 full rotations to make 1 combustion cycle

and just for reference a 2 stroke engine needs to make 1 full rotation per combustion cycle

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 31 2003, 08:17 PM
a rotary engine makes 3 full combustion cycles per full rotation

technically, it would be only one cycle per revoltion on a rotary b/c the first chamber will go through the whole cycle(which is when the first chamber is at the exaust) while the second chamber will get to the combustion chamber and the third will be at the intake.

rotaries can be compared to regular piston engines b/c they are both internal combustion and both have seperate intake, compression, power and exaust "strokes". in a way, the rotary is a four stroke that completes a full cycle in one rotation, like a two-stroke. two-strokes actually intake air(into the crankcase) during compression and the air/fuel mixture doesnt enter the combustion chamber till the power-stroke.

the chevy block has a displacement advantage over the dohc 4 and 6 cylinders also. so anyway you put it, the chevy block would have more torque. and if you look at my argument, the renesis engine makes power almost the same as the f20c engine, and i didnt take away any "features" of the engine when comparing. i simply stated they make the same power but with the renesis having a larger displacement.

no people dont compare diesel to gas b/c those are two different types of fuel. would you compare a methanol-powered 2.0L engine to a regular gas 2.0L engine?

The Maxda RX-8 is a killer car. Far better looking than the rest of the choices if you ask me. Plus it is pretty fast.

Back