Ew You Reek of Poor People

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I hate when I get take out somewhere and they are looking at the tip line to see if a tip is left. Why am I going to tip to get take out. I don't tip the guy behind the counter at taco bell, why would I tip you for doing the same job.
The worst tip for someone I ever left was for a serve was me writing pay attention to your customers instead of talking to your co workers you lazy bitch. She saw me going to other tables to get ketchup and to get silverware and just ignored me. No refill on my drink either. I was traveling for work and it was the last thing I needed after I long day.
I agree with you on that one. In my mind, you either make $2.13/hr and get tipped or you make minimum wage and up, and don't get tipped.

I'm actually upset to hear so many of you have had such bad experiences with servers. But the fact that that is happening is management's fault. Complain to them. See if there is a Server Survey you could take. The problem will be addressed if enough people say this server sucks.

the point I was trying to make is consideration. If I hinder you in making some cash, I'll throw you a few bucks. If you hook me up, I'll throw you a few bucks. Is the there really a difference in tipping someone $5 instead of $3? I don't think so. To the individual, it's $2. To me, over the course of the night, it adds up.

Example- $1000 in sales x 10% tips= $100- 3% tip out= $70
$1000 in sales x 15% tips= $150- 3% tip out= $120.
$1000 in sales x 20% tips= $200- 3% tip out= $170.

My point is simple. It all adds up. Toss in a few extra bucks. It won't kill you.

Im a pretty easy customer. You take my order, fill my drinks, dont come asking "hows the everything?" every 30 secs and give me my tab. But Im not going to give you $5 tip on a $10 bill unless you did something extraordinary. Doing your job isn't extraordinary. Also, i'm tired of seeing tip jars everywhere. If you want more money, get a better job.

Here's how I see it, depends on the restaurant and the "perks" to tip more or less.

***Hypothetical mediocre restaurant***
If I go into joe schmoe's burger joint for a $20 burger and beer. He is going to get $3 bucks. Joe schmoe has probably 10-12 tables, and hands a beer, and burger and walks away. Comes back when beer is empty and solicits purchase of another and takes away empty food. Comes back with check after I refuse a 2nd beer. He attended my table for literally less than 2 minutes for the entire thing. Why would he get more $3 bucks? I doubt it took 4 minutes total with walking to serve, wipe off, etc my table. This is when your argument Slush comes into play about turning tables. He only makes money if he gets you out the door for someone else to keep the revenue coming in.

*** Now a nice restaurant***
I took my dad to Daniel's broiler last night. I was there for 1.5 hours.

$114
$11 Tax

$125 Total

I tip the guy 25 bucks. That's $25 he splits up with the busser, bartender, and himself.

The guy had 8 tables in probably one of the nicest restaurants with the nicest view in Bellevue, WA. $25 from me was more than generous and right at 20%. His service was great. He wasn't pushy, and when my dad's filet was a underdone he came back with sorbet for him to eat while it got cooked longer. He probably spent a total of 6 minutes maximum working my table in that 1.5 hours. The timing was perfect and everything was smooth. No needs went unmet and he wasn't upselling the entire time. I'm spending $50 on a fricking steak. You can't beat that.

Moral of the story. You want to make more money as a server? Work at a nicer restaurant.

Last edited:
Got to agree with Slammed here. The quick joints are going to get a little tip unless they absolutely stood out and went out of their way. The nicer places will get a nicer tip, provided they did their job well, too.

On the other hand, I'd say the quick joint guys have more service-based opportunity, because I can afford to tip them more when they do well. The expensive places, it'll take a crapton more service to get me to drop more onto an already-high tip.

Moral of the story. You want to make more money as a server? Work at a nicer restaurant.

Im totally with this. Sometimes the server just knows how to "hook it" up more. Like giving me a free refill or sticking extra bread sticks into my togo box. Or being honese that what I am about to get is horrible. Im not expecting it every time nor I expect everyone to do it. You pick and choose who you want to hook up.

Been there done that and im not going to change my tipping habits unless i become filthy rich and give everyone benjamins.

Im totally with this. Sometimes the server just knows how to "hook it" up more. Like giving me a free refill or sticking extra bread sticks into my togo box. Or being honese that what I am about to get is horrible. Im not expecting it every time nor I expect everyone to do it. You pick and choose who you want to hook up.

Been there done that and im not going to change my tipping habits unless i become filthy rich and give everyone benjamins.
I do all that and more. I've worked high end and it can be lucrative. But on the off night, it sucks donkey dick. Very few high end places get busy every night of the week like a chain restaurant. You'd be surprised how similar the earnings can be.
Here's how I see it, depends on the restaurant and the "perks" to tip more or less.

***Hypothetical mediocre restaurant***
If I go into joe schmoe's burger joint for a $20 burger and beer. He is going to get $3 bucks. Joe schmoe has probably 10-12 tables, and hands a beer, and burger and walks away. Comes back when beer is empty and solicits purchase of another and takes away empty food. Comes back with check after I refuse a 2nd beer. He attended my table for literally less than 2 minutes for the entire thing. Why would he get more $3 bucks? I doubt it took 4 minutes total with walking to serve, wipe off, etc my table. This is when your argument Slush comes into play about turning tables. He only makes money if he gets you out the door for someone else to keep the revenue coming in.

*** Now a nice restaurant***
I took my dad to Daniel's broiler last night. I was there for 1.5 hours.

$114
$11 Tax

$125 Total

I tip the guy 25 bucks. That's $25 he splits up with the busser, bartender, and himself.

The guy had 8 tables in probably one of the nicest restaurants with the nicest view in Bellevue, WA. $25 from me was more than generous and right at 20%. His service was great. He wasn't pushy, and when my dad's filet was a underdone he came back with sorbet for him to eat while it got cooked longer. He probably spent a total of 6 minutes maximum working my table in that 1.5 hours. The timing was perfect and everything was smooth. No needs went unmet and he wasn't upselling the entire time. I'm spending $50 on a fricking steak. You can't beat that.

I agree with almost everything you said here. Location does dictate some parts of this. I would have tipped the burger guy $5, but that's just me. Tipper Karma- Tip good, get tipped good.

Also, I don't consider asking if you want another beer upselling. I'm asking if you want another beer. If you had a diet coke, I'd ask if you wanted another diet coke. I really don't upsell, but I'll give you my honest opinion about anything on the menu. My favorite things on the menu are a $17 risotto and a $8 panini. Today I literally described every beer we have on tap. I don't need to have that knowledge to serve tables, but it certainly helped out tonight. I made about 30% of my sales tonight.

All this being said, I am so sick of serving tables and I'm ready for a new job.

Do eeeet. Waiting on other people, in any capacity, sucks cock.
At the moment, I'm just bridging the financial gap between finishing grad school and landing the job I went there to get. Although I'd settle for a day job with modest earnings at this point.

Also, I don't consider asking if you want another beer upselling. I'm asking if you want another beer. If you had a diet coke, I'd ask if you wanted another diet coke. I really don't upsell, but I'll give you my honest opinion about anything on the menu. My favorite things on the menu are a $17 risotto and a $8 panini. Today I literally described every beer we have on tap.

All this being said, I am so sick of serving tables and I'm ready for a new job.

Yeah I don't really mean upselling like that. I get the beer thing. Otherstuff is more along the lines.

My friends that are in school that wait still, make more than I do working a day job sucking the big corporate dick.

Back