Finally dyno'd the B16 today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBoy

setup:

JDM B16A
1 layer head gasket
skunk2 stage2 cams
skunk2 valve springs
toda header
apexi ws2 exhaust
carsound 2.5 cat
aem 3" cai

182 whp 128 ft/lb

what do you guys think?

an AEM cold air with a 3" pipe id assume. If it were my engine i wouldnt have changed the IM...from what ive read the B16 flows find for N/A applications.

Which JDM B16a do you have? If that's an SiR, then it's pretty impressive. If it's a II it's not quite as impressive.

Quoted post[/post]]
Which JDM B16a do you have? If that's an SiR, then it's pretty impressive. If it's a II it's not quite as impressive.

why is it less impressive if its a 2? i think the diff. between a 1st gen B16 and a snd gen is the cams which he changed so it wouldnt have made any more power either way.

182WHP from a stock B16 with bolt ons and a thinner head gasket is pretty fucking good if you ask me.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

why is it less impressive if its a 2? i think the diff. between a 1st gen B16 and a snd gen is the cams which he changed so it wouldnt have made any more power either way.

182WHP from a stock B16 with bolt ons and a thinner head gasket is pretty fucking good if you ask me.

Because the II puts out 10 more horses stock, according to Honda.

He got a 40ish~ whp increase with just those few mods.

I'm sorry, but imma call bullshit on this one. There's no way you dynoed a B16 with that much torque. I've seen fully built B16's put down less torque. Post a dyno sheet pal.

All you have is an intake, header and exhaust. Those cams don't give you that much HP with that low of compression. You can't be any higher than 10.6:1.

As for Stock B16's putting out 145....that's a healthy ass motor. You'd be lucky to hit 140 w/ all the bolt ons.

What are you using for tuning? I'm sorry, i just don't believe this. how high are you revving? because those cams don't make any power till almost 8k RPM and you have a stock computer? where did your power and torque peak at?

I work at an Import shop and I've NEVER seen a B16 dyno that high even with serious mods.

:blink: what the fuck kind of reason would he have to lie about this for?

Seriously? lol

yea its kinda hard to believe....cuz a buddy of mine is pushing 210 whp..and he has a type r block bored out to a 2.0, fully built GSR head .. i'm not sure what hes running in it...i know one thing its f'ing fast

Compression is 11:1 with jdm P30 pistons. Heres the graph. I peaked early at 7600 probably due to some restriction, maybe the cat or stock manifold. P28 tuned with Crome.
IMG_1083_1_1.jpg

I don't see why everyone calls BS on everything involving a dyno. 128ft-lb seems a bit high, and it maybe that the dyno isn't exactly right, but is it so odd to think that a good tune and good parts = good power? I think everyone is just used to seeing crappy numbers because not everyone has a good tune, even though they may be using a well build engine. TUNING IS EVERYTHING. I am hoping for numbers a little higher than that for my ls build, of course, more torque. Unfortunately my car won't idle nearly as smooth as yours. :) Good numbers, now use the dyno like it was meant to be used, for a tool to see the difference in power you will get as you do more modifications.

edit, you need to tune around your vtec switch a little more, that much fluctuation in the midrange will start taking a toll on your engine at some point. What were your AFR's for the run? I'm a bit curious to see how rich you are running at 11:1CR, as I will be at ~11.6:1 CR on my ls

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Because the II puts out 10 more horses stock, according to Honda.

He got a 40ish~ whp increase with just those few mods.

yes and my point was the reason the 2 put out 10 more is from the cams, which he changed. physically the block and head are identical.

It is very impressive yet hard to believe- What kind of correcting was the dyno set for ? SAE? I noticed this can be the difference between 10-12 whp +/- depending on the correction that the dyno is set for.

everyone calls BS on everything involving a dyno. 128ft-lb seems a bit high, and it maybe that the dyno isn't exactly right, but is it so odd to think that a good tune and good parts = good power? I think everyone is just used to seeing crappy numbers because not everyone has a good tune, even though they may be using a well build engine. TUNING IS EVERYTHING. I am hoping for numbers a little higher than that for my ls build, of course, more torque. Unfortunately my car won't idle nearly as smooth as yours. Good numbers, now use the dyno like it was meant to be used, for a tool to see the difference in power you will get as you do more modifications.

edit, you need to tune around your vtec switch a little more, that much fluctuatio

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm sorry, but imma call bullshit on this one. There's no way you dynoed a B16 with that much torque. I've seen fully built B16's put down less torque. Post a dyno sheet pal.

All you have is an intake, header and exhaust. Those cams don't give you that much HP with that low of compression. You can't be any higher than 10.6:1.

As for Stock B16's putting out 145....that's a healthy ass motor. You'd be lucky to hit 140 w/ all the bolt ons.

What are you using for tuning? I'm sorry, i just don't believe this. how high are you revving? because those cams don't make any power till almost 8k RPM and you have a stock computer? where did your power and torque peak at?

I work at an Import shop and I've NEVER seen a B16 dyno that high even with serious mods.

are you ok in your head??? Brian is right, ive seen with my own two eyes, 4 b16's get dyno'd including my own. mine put out 146 hp to the wheels, with just a short ram intake everything else bone stock, and one guy hit 147 and the others were 142 and 144. so whats your argument exactly homie?? second off how are his cams going to start making power at 8,000 rpm? motor stock redline is 8300, which im sure you know, so hes got a 300 rpm powerband window to aim for?? cmon the friggin guy gave you a picture of the dyno. and yeah honestly why would someone lie.

again dont forget not every engine is the same, even if honda or toyota or any engine manufacturer, they are not identical, no two motors will run EXACTLY the same. 2 b16s comin off the line and go into two 99 SI's. one can get dyno'd at 144 and the other at 147. same motor same car, same ambient air temperature, same air pressure ratio. i cant see why everyone is gettin on this guys case. Great numbers bro, keep it up!

well the cams do make power under 8,000 but if you overhaul the head with new valves, springs, retainers and a PnP...you can probably rev that b16 to 10k and probably make power up there...just my .02c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back