Headphones

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nothin fancy for me. My "on the go" earbuds are either the apple ones or Creative EP-630s. I've had the Creatives for probably 5 yrs now and love them, good enough sound to me and the fit really well. Currently at the computer I'm using Zune Premium v2 earbuds. I just recently had to retire my set of cheapo Everglide headphones that I bought on Woot for like $10 a couple yrs back, and luckily I had the Zune phones around to use.

I'd like to get a decent set of Beyerdynamics at some point for use at the computer, but I don't really feel like looking at an amp and soundcard to really make them sound good.

I'd like to get a decent set of Beyerdynamics at some point for use at the computer, but I don't really feel like looking at an amp and soundcard to really make them sound good.

BD makes some low-impedance models, for no additional charge iirc, for portable devices and applications where you may not be able to provide enough power to comfortable supply 250 Ohm cans.

Try Koss PortaPros; they're cheap and sound pretty good; though the design might clip your hair(there's all sorts of mods for them). Also, Audio Technica ATH-M50s are pretty good cans for the price and cheaper than Beyers.

The Beyerdynamic cans actually sound different between the impedance levels. IIRC, they still offer 80, 250, and 600ohm versions of the DT 770/880/990s.

Try Koss PortaPros; they're cheap and sound pretty good; though the design might clip your hair(there's all sorts of mods for them). Also, Audio Technica ATH-M50s are pretty good cans for the price and cheaper than Beyers.

The Beyerdynamic cans actually sound different between the impedance levels. IIRC, they still offer 80, 250, and 600ohm versions of the DT 770/880/990s.

I have a set of 770s @250 personally, and also a set @32 ohms. The 32 ohm set is great for not using a heaphone amp. And yes, it's much better sounding to listen to the same device, amped, through the 250 Ohm pair...

I have a set of Brookstone's "Thunderbass" headsets. I like them, and to me they sound way better than bose does for the in ear headphones.

I got a set of the Apple earphones with my Ipod Touch and my new Nano Touch- and damn am I glad I never used them after reading about you guys getting shocked in the ear by them. F that!!! I'm gonna go home and throw those bitches in the trash. I can't use that kind anyways- they hurt like hell in my ears. I use the Skullcandy (hot pink and black- of course, since just about everything I own is hot pink and black except my Mazda). I like them enough for what I use them for and I'm too cheap tp buy more expensive ones. There's a good chance my kids are going to break them or my dog is going to chew through the cord anyways...

dont toss them, apple will swap them out for free...

BD makes some low-impedance models, for no additional charge iirc, for portable devices and applications where you may not be able to provide enough power to comfortable supply 250 Ohm cans.

i have read reviews that the 32ohm sound real muddy.
seeing that you have those and the 250ohms, what are your opinions on that?

i have the 80ohm. they work well without an amp, i would like to get one for the computer though (i just dont know a lot about them to know what i should be looking for yet), and my phone can push them decently without an amp, not as loud as other headphones, but still a good volume level.

Just got back from Frys right now with a new pair for the computer. I was using the Zune earbuds, but they are annoying to use at the comp because if I lay them on my desk the cat tries to play with them so the only other option is to unplug them everytime or throw em on the floor. I checked out the Sony V6's, but a lot of reviews say they have great bass but lack in the mids and highs. The only other set there in the <$75 range was the Shure SRH240. Amazon reviews were good so I ended up getting those. If they don't work out I'll take em back and probably shell out the extra for the Shure SRH440s.

EDIT: Okay, so I've given these things about 3 hours of listening today and I'm not impressed. I do like the fit and finish of the headphones, but the sound quality is just not there. Mids and highs sound good and really clear, but there is absolutely no bass to these things, like to the point that the music just doesn't sound right. These were the cheapest of the ones I was looking at at $60 so I wanted to try them first. I'm gonna go tomorrow to Fry's and get the Sony v6s and check em out. I had looked them up on my phone in Fry's and saw a couple reviews saying that there was too much bass, but after being here at home and reading quite a bit more about them it looks like they should do the trick.

Last edited:
I checked out the Sony V6's, but a lot of reviews say they have great bass but lack in the mids and highs.
That's weird, a lot of people say they're too bright; but I like them. The bass goes low and is accurate, but lacks impact or boominess. The V6s are designed to be monitors; they're just very accurate and expose any flaws in recordings, etc. The ATH-M50 would be a better all-around headphone.

I rock a pair of Skullcandy Crushers for snowboarding, I can hear my music and so can the people on the lift behind me. :D Chops for riding my bike, regular earbuds fall out and I like to wear my helmet too.

Picked up the V6s today and am loving them so far :) I'm gonna order the Beyerdynamic velour pads maybe sometime this week.

Back