Help me decide on a new car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeef,
Now go get an Evo, they are fantastic fun little cars! :)

I would love to look into it, but I can only have 2 cars at my condo. My truck and my girls Civic. The truck is almost paid off and I do need a truck. Also, my work just cut my hours again, cocksuckers.

got a response:

Selling you the car at invoice, you would be at 27255, TOTAL, I would love to earn your business, but just do not have that sorta room. That would be on a black hatch, that would be here the first week of feb. Most dealers when it is a shortage of a particular model want you to pay over sticker? I am offering invuoice?? I really want to sell you a car. ..

i call bullshit on that being the invoice price. check around and do some research. you can find dealer cost if you search around. then expect to pay $500-$1500 above that.

of course he wants to sell you the car, it's his job. you need to search around and find the car you are looking for. if you don't get 100% what you want, don't buy it or you'll be pissed down the road. if you need to travel, you might find better deals out of state.

and imho, $450/month on a car when only making $50k is a shitload of money. plus you still have to pay for insurance. just my .02 though.

It's not a lot of money really. I have no expenses and make like 3000 a month.

But that's what I was thinking. What does invoice mean? How can I find out invoice cost if all dealers tell you is a bloated price? How does tax/title/tags work when buying out of state? Can any dealer do it for any state? Or will I have to do it myself?

dealer cost=hard to find, obviously what the dealer paid for the car. often times they can get a car cheaper than invoice because of manufacturer incentives.
invoice=what they want you to think they paid
msrp=manufacturers suggested sale price

do you have a costco card? they get really good deals on cars. very little negotiating needed.

Reply back.

Thanks but $25,000 OTD is what I'm looking to spend, if the car doesn't move let me know I'll bring money in hand.

Leave it at that and look else where.

do you have a costco card? they get really good deals on cars. very little negotiating needed.

This is a great point, if you have a card and that card allows you to get very good deals, then CLEARLY there's a lot more room to move then you think.

I have zero doubt that if the car is 27K invoice, you can and should get it for 25K OTD.

No one is going to just hand it over, they assume you go in low, they go in higher and you go once again a bit lower then his offer and you both agree. That's how it works. you meet in the middle. Trust me, 25,000 is not the bottom and they'll still make money.

If dealerships bought cars at invoice prices not a single one would be in business even with a great auto market.

be prepared to walk away from this dealership and take it as a learning experience. there are thousands of dealerships in the U.S. and all of them want to sell cars right now. remember, you owe them nothing. you are the one with the money, they need to work for you. you should have no loyalty whatsoever. treat your money like you earned it, because you did. be stingy with it.

Yup. The invoice price is far from the lowest that they can go. There are a ton of other fees and incentives that a dealership can make back beyond the invoice price, and if you do well you can deal into that price terriroty.

As far as walking away- you're shopping for a new car. Every dealer is going to be able to offer you the same equipment, so shop around and don't be afraid to walk out. Worst case, you wait a while longer for your car and your deal. Best case, they call you back and give you what you want.

i wasnt sure exactly where the hell you are so i put in baltimore for the location

for a 2010 Subaru WRX Wagon (non premium model)

edmunds.com has the invoice at $24,082 and the MSRP is listed at $25,495
KBB
has the invoice listed at $24,777 and the MSRP is listed at $26,190
NADA has the invoice listed at $24,082and the MSRP is listed at $25,495
cars.com has the invoice listed at $23,617 and the MSRP is listed at $24,995

so yeah id say hes full of shit
thank him for his time and walk away

Greenbelt, it's south of Bmore, and north of DC, pretty much right on the northern edge of the dc beltway.

yea thats where i work. i live in east Bmore county though. this particular dealer was in owings mills (north western bmore county).

costco? the wholesale sams club type place? why would the dealer care about that and give me a better price based on that? im not a member, but i think my parents are. can i still use it? also they arent quoting me 27k as invoice, they are quoting 27k as OTD including all taxes and fees. hes probably putting invoice around 24k and leaving the rest for tax title and tags.

ill give this guy one more chance to come down on price before i move on. but how should i approach it? i think i should give you guys a quick run down of my interactions with this dealer first so you can see it more from my POV.

1. emailed dealer requesting more info
2. got a reply back more or less saying price is like 26k + tax/title/tag ect
3. offered saying im looking to spend 24k OTD
4. got a reply saying to expect no less than 26k OTD
5. went to dealer, spoke with salesman, Tony. test drove red WRX sedan
6. they offered me 23,999+ tax/title/tag/ect (est 26.5k OTD) (sedan), some other random salesman walks buy and mentions that its 300 under invoice
7. i walked to "look over my finances" and "do research"
8. Tony emails me says 27.2k OTD on a black hatch

so they want to negotiate it seems, but really arent comming down much so far on a car i want. they will probably be easy to work down on the red sedan, as i get the feeling its been on the lot a while, but thats not the car i want, so its out of the question at this point.

so what should i say in my reply? what can i say to get the point across that i know they can go lower, i know they can sell below invoice and still make money, but i dont want to be confrontational, i dont want to seem like im calling them liars, and want to remain professional. like i said, ill give them one more shot, but i still want to increase my chances of them taking the bait in 25-26k OTD. i also need to remind him that i only want a white or silver hatch, not black lol. i mean i have nothing against black, but if i can choose i want white or silver

Last edited:
ill give this guy one more chance to come down on price before i move on. but how should i approach it? i think i should give you guys a quick run down of my interactions with this dealer first so you can see it more from my POV.

I already told you, e-mail him back saying thanks but no thanks 25K OTD is where my offer stands. treat him like a girl, its better to ask 10 girls out hoping to get one to say yes then it is to nag 1 girl day after day only to get shot down. Just ask, if you get a no, move on.

You're really putting too much into this.

A. go to your bank and get money.
B. Next day you have off go dealership to dealership with money in hand. Walk in, say, I want that car for this much here's the check take it or leave it, if they take it fine if not leave.

stop being so worried, set your price and stick to it, you get something great, if not ohwell move on to the next idea.

As to price club or even credit union membership benefits, (most credit unions offer them) they do lower the price and it's great for someone who loves the idea of buying at car max because they're the cheapest around. Anyone who knows how to buy and sell knows that those discounts mean jack shit.

car is listed at 27K priceclub style card gives people a discount making the car 25K that's a BIG discount to a lot of people. add tax tags and yada yada you're back up to 27K I for one would rather say screw the speical handshake and discount card. Find the car you want and get it for the price you want. 25K OTD sounds pretty spot on.

Bring check. Place check on table. Sign. Get keys. Drive away.

It's really that simple.

And lol, you can't "have anything against black" if you live in bmore. heh.

Exactly what Jeffie said.

Yup. You're buying a commodity item- a base model WRX wagon. Every Subaru dealer in your area is selling the exact same product. There's no reason to make them compete against each other.

Tony,

Thanks, but i'll have to pass. 25k is where my offer stands and I feel its a fair price. Again, thank you for your time and if you change your mind and are willing to meet my price, feel free to let me know. Sorry we couldn't do business.

Ian
time to look on at other dealers

:thumbsup: Good for you! Don't let those skeezy salesmen play you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back