help mw come up with my solution

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

serial ata > parallel ata.

yeah I know it's better, that doesn't make you feel any better when you spend all night tearing apart and re flashing an Xbox and then you find out the HD your buddy bought for the box isn't compatible lol

see that's my point, I dunno dick about that ish. I guess that's like Seta HD's replacing the old style?

SATA :)

Yes, they are replacing the older IDE drives. It might be high time to build an all new PC. You can get a decent one for under a grand if you exclude the monitor. Even then with the deals on newegg, you can probably fit a nice monitor in there within a grand.

It all depends on exactly what you want. You will have the extra space for your future upgrades to hard drives and DVD/BR/HDDVD drives, the real questions are how beefy of a system are you looking for.

AMD just dropped the price on their X2 processors. While they aren't the absolute top of the line bleeding edge, they will play games well. Consider that as an option. a fairly decent PCI-E video card will cost you a bit under 200, the drive you can have for 80 dollars (200 gig), RAM can go as high as your pockets go deep and I would recommend a new case that has a power supply which handles newer boards as well as plugs for SATA drives.

Consider this:

Newegg.com - Buy Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Board and mobo combo... $190. a 2.4GHz dual core processor with an nForce board. geForce video onboard (upgradable when you choose)

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Gig -o- RAM: $100

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3400833AS 400GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

400GB drive... another $100

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM

DVD burner with Lightscribe... 43 bucks.

Newegg.com - APEVIA X-ALIEN-BK/500 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX 500W dual fan w/ automatic fan speed control. Connector 20 + 4 pin Power Supply - Retail

BigAss(TM) case... 90 bucks.

Newegg.com - Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 - Retail

20 inch LCD widescreen monitor... 200 bucks.

Total is 723 for a system that will serve you well. Now this isn't EXTR3ME UB3R 1337NESS H4XX0R gamer system, but it will definitely fit your needs. If you need more, you can always upgrade some of your parts later.

that's looks okay but I want at least a 3.0 Gig processor. I have a 2.0 now, spending a bunch of money and ending at 2.4 isn't justifiable.

My goal would be to build something that is fairly top of the food chain and has room for future improvment.

okay the desktop is old, parts of it can be re used on the new computer though

salvage
2006 All-in-wonder ATI video card
2X 500MB strips of RAM
brand new DVD RW drive

so I guess I need to talk to a company that can build me a computer

4ish GB processor
top of the line soundblaster card
1 dvd rom drive, but wired for two with a space empty
1 160GB hard drive, again wired for two with a slot left empty (160gig HD coming out of the xbox this summer)
windows vista

I don't want a monitor, mouse, etc. Just a tower built to specs.

who should I call?
Barebones, Barebone Computers, Barebone Computer Systems, Barebone Kit at Newegg.com
might take some looking for the right one buy you should be able to find a barebones system with a decent motherboard, that takes agp and will leave room for future expansion. the nice part about barebones is that all you have to do is plug in the parts that you currently own and want to keep

Why would you buy a fucking Pentium 4? Makes about as much sense as buying anything but Core 2 or X2 (from what i've seen the amd is "better for games" but the tests I've seen got the Core 2 as better overall - not really the time/place for that debate though lol, whatever)

From what i've seen, the lowest/cheapest Core 2 Duo still kicks the best Pentium 4/D/etc.'s ass. (D seems to be the Pentium dual core?)

Hey silverchild, take a look at my post about constructing your own rig. I have a lot of info on there and Ill be putting pictures up when I get a chance. Maybe tonight if Im not too busy with midterms. Also, its not too difficult.

Intel Core 2 Duo > Anything out there at the moment.

And $100/Gb of RAM is WAY too much now. You can get about 2 Gigabytes for that price.

Shit, if you want. I can help you build it if you want.

Im not going to bullshit you. I dont have a degree in cpu engineering, so I cant explain in detail but pretty much what Sabz said, times 2.

So instead of trying to tell you, heres an interactive chart that will show you how much better an Core 2 Duo is better than anything out there at the moment:

CPU Charts | Tom's Hardware

Back