import builders intakes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, you are one to talk about being over paranoid. like i said, Cal's werd and the dyno sheet are proof enough. i dont give a rats ass if it looks like a pink flying hippo, it makes power. pure an simple.

if you buy one you are free to take pictures of it, but i think jeff wanted to keep it underwraps till he sold a couple, rather then puttin 1 in, then not sellin any cause someone else produced em cheaper. but hey, thats only my take on it. think what you like.

I am very interested, but still have a few questions. Will the use of this intake system require battery relocation in an crx with a b16? Also when he says "they put the short ram on end of their current short ram
with stack for full effect" that means that in order to achieve the "full effect we need to already have an intake? also Calesta says he needs to buy a 6in k&n filter to run the intake, will we all have to go buy one of those as well? Another issue is how much work is necessary to be able to set this system up in a b16 crx? Is drilling or any other modification necessary? Does this intake require movement of the resonator? is it a cold air intake and therefore need some sort of bypass?

i will pass your questions on and let you know what jeff says.

:werd:

lotsa stuff we need to know...

If i'm gonna have to buy a lot more shit to make this work, i dunno if i want it that bad

id be interested, if the intake was explained better how it went into the vehicle and what other parts would be needed besides his intake.

Originally posted by nismogod+Dec 3 2004, 04:02 PM-->
yea, i just talked to jeff again and he said that the dyno sheet Cal has, which he posted, was a demonstration. and that he perfers not to divulge pictures of the intake. i think this may be because then he can be undersold(is that the right word) by someone that copies it. i'm gonna buy one, and i'd sure like to get a count of how many other ppl would. so far i see

driver1, CRVTEC, and myself. i'm sure there are more people on here that have faith in jeff and calestra. the dyno to me justifies $150 bucks shipped.
[post=425954]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup, demonstration. Oh yeah, no R in my screen name. :)

Originally posted by nismogod@Dec 3 2004, 04:08 PM
per my convo with jeff

"I wont post any(pictures of the intake), Calesta & I did a before and after on(dyno sheet). I don't want everyone seeing it(intake)."

so that sorta explains as to why there aren't any pix floating around of it. just like Cal said
[post=425955]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think there are that many people that have the intake yet- maybe 2 or 3 people and that's all. It's definitely not in production, so unless one of the other people who got a pre-production piece took pictures and splattered them all over the net, it's still "secret".

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Dec 3 2004, 04:12 PM
What all comes with this magical intake?
[post=425957]Quoted post[/post]​

You'll have to ask Jeff. I didn't get what you would call a uh... complete package with the intake. What I have is surely different from what you will get if you buy the intake system from Jeff.

Originally posted by Blanco@Dec 3 2004, 04:54 PM
That's bullshit. What's he going to do when people start to take pictures of the intakes they buy? Or does it come with a confidentality agreement? Talk about being overly paranoid.

I guess I'll just wait until someone buys one and takes a picture of it. Better yet, I'll just go with an AEM since I already know what it's going to look like and it'll actually be legal to put on my car.
[post=425969]Quoted post[/post]​

He hasn't been selling his intake yet- it's not like he has 1000 of these just sitting on a shelf somewhere, and he's not going to make them one by one at any decent kind of price. Once he sells a batch, I'm sure he won't care about people taking pictures- at that point, there's nothing he can do about it. Selling one and having it copied is a lot worse than selling 500 of them and then having them copied. He needs to make some money back on the time he put into it, right?

Originally posted by Blanco@Dec 3 2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Battle Pope@Dec 3 2004, 05:12 PM
What all comes with this magical intake?
[post=425957]Quoted post[/post]​

My guess is pixie dust.
[post=425969]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope. It really works- and it's not really anything groundbreaking at all. Like I said- there are things similar to it on the market (2) for Hondas, but none that I know of in the form that Jeff tested on my car. I like his setup better- it has a lot more flexibility than the setups out there for the Honda crowd, and it will perform better than the current similar systems too. If you know anything about fluid dynamics, you just have to look at it to know that it works.

Originally posted by CRVTEC@Dec 3 2004, 05:03 PM
Yeah...

what do we do if we buy one, and then want pictures of our car? put black tape over the intake?
[post=425976]Quoted post[/post]​

:p

Originally posted by nismogod@Dec 3 2004, 05:03 PM
wow, you are one to talk about being over paranoid. like i said, Cal's werd and the dyno sheet are proof enough. i dont give a rats ass if it looks like a pink flying hippo, it makes power. pure an simple.
[post=425977]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks. It works on a turbocharger too. :lol:

Originally posted by nismogod@Dec 3 2004, 05:04 PM
if you buy one you are free to take pictures of it, but i think jeff wanted to keep it underwraps till he sold a couple, rather then puttin 1 in, then not sellin any cause someone else produced em cheaper. but hey, thats only my take on it. think what you like.
[post=425980]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup

Guy
@Dec 3 2004, 05:05 PM
I am very interested, but still have a few questions. Will the use of this intake system require battery relocation in an crx with a b16? Also when he says "they put the short ram on end of their current short ram
with stack for full effect" that means that in order to achieve the "full effect we need to already have an intake? also Calesta says he needs to buy a 6in k&n filter to run the intake, will we all have to go buy one of those as well? Another issue is how much work is necessary to be able to set this system up in a b16 crx? Is drilling or any other modification necessary? Does this intake require movement of the resonator? is it a cold air intake and therefore need some sort of bypass?
[post=425982]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't think it will require battery location.

I don't know about the "short ram on a short ram". Maybe he's talking about turning it into a cold air intake by putting two short rams together.

Hopefully the production kit will come with a filter. I didn't get one- but I didn't exactly buy a complete intake system from him. All I got was a piece of the full system. We didn't dyno with a filter on either intake setup- and that's fine for measuring numbers on the dyno, but I'm not going to run the intake like that on the street.

Drilling probably won't be necessary if you're going to use it as a short ram.

If you've ever installed an intake system in a CRX, you know you have to remove the resonator box for a CAI setup. On a short ram, you don't. If you set this one up as a short ram, I don't see why you would need to remove the resonator box. It only takes an extra 10 minutes to remove the bumper and pull the box anyway.

You should be able to set up this "system" as both a short ram and a cold air intake depending on what pipes you run, so a bypass would be totally up to you.

Originally posted by dmmd3@Dec 3 2004, 06:29 PM
id be interested, if the intake was explained better how it went into the vehicle and what other parts would be needed besides his intake.
[post=426050]Quoted post[/post]​

Hopefully my attempt at explaining without giving anything away will help you. :)

I would assume that the intake system comes with everything you need. Like I said before- I didn't get an entire intake system from Jeff- he did bring it in a backpack on an airplane... and you can't exactly fit a whole intake system in carry-on luggage. Any extra parts that I need to complete the system will probably come in a box with yours if you buy one.

Well, in achieving the results you got was it set up as a short ram intake, a cold air intake, or something else?

Originally posted by Calesta+Dec 3 2004, 07:36 PM-->
@Dec 3 2004, 06:29 PM
[post=426050]Quoted post[/post]​

Hopefully my attempt at explaining without giving anything away will help you. :)

I would assume that the intake system comes with everything you need. Like I said before- I didn't get an entire intake system from Jeff- he did bring it in a backpack on an airplane... and you can't exactly fit a whole intake system in carry-on luggage. Any extra parts that I need to complete the system will probably come in a box with yours if you buy one.
[post=426059]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes that did help. In the case of that being true i am interested in purchasing one.

Originally posted by CRVTEC@Dec 2 2004, 08:45 PM
:werd:

pics? dynos?
[post=425369]Quoted post[/post]​

Cal had a dyno posted a while back of before and after he put a short ram on his B18c. Pretty impressive numbers.

Originally posted by Blanco@Dec 4 2004, 09:41 AM
Well I've said my piece and I don't intend on buying a phantom product, so I'll just leave this topic now. And Cal, no offense bro' but, most people here don't have a degree in engineering.
[post=426220]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: to your mother bitches!

i understand your point. and i dont down you for feeling such, but i also understand jeff's point. and i appreciate the attitude that was taken rather then being harsh as others may have been

Cal, my bad about the R. lol.

i'm pretty dern sure it comes with a filter, because jeff was sayin it took hima little time to get all the filters made.

dmmd3, i'll add you to the list. that makes 4 now. lol.

Originally posted by Blanco+Dec 4 2004, 03:41 AM-->
Here's my deal. I've been in retail sales for about ten years and what's the most common question I've heard from customers in that time? "Can I see it before I buy it?" It's not too much to ask to want to see what I'm spending money on before it arrives in the mail. When it comes to spending my money, I don't rely on "oh yeah, it works dude...just buy it". To me, it's poor customer service to expect people to buy a product sight unseen, based soley on one dyno day on a built motor and "it should fit". What kind of numbers can be expected on a stock motor? What will this intake fit? For all I know this awesome new intake is just a $60 filter with a $20 pipe and a lot of hype. If he's so worried about it being copied, why doesn't he just take a trip down to the patent office?

Examples. When I worked in a drum shop, there's no way I could just bring a medium sized brown box with no writting out to a customer and actually expect them to wait until they get home before they can see what they just bought. Working in a pet store, "I've just the thing for you, but you can't see it until you get home". Selling vynil stickers, "yeah I can make your $150 order but you can't see it until after you pay for it and it's already cut". See what I'm getting at? It's the principle of the matter, not just taking hype at face value. I know IB builds fast motors and makes power, but that's not the point. He's expecting people to shell out $150 for a brand new and largely untested product, sight unseen. You'll have to forgive me for being skeptical of a product that the manufacturer is afraid to show, for whatever reason.

Well I've said my piece and I don't intend on buying a phantom product, so I'll just leave this topic now. And Cal, no offense bro' but, most people here don't have a degree in engineering.
[post=426220]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with you. Most people want to see it before they buy it- but that's also on a product that's offered to the open market. As far as I know, Jeff hasn't really even advertised or done any kind of publicity on the intakes yet, so it's not really "on the market". I say "should" fit because I wasn't using one of his final production intakes. I have no idea what they will look like in the end, so I can't say anything definite about it. All I can give you is my best guess based on what I have. If you want the specific details, contact Jeff. I don't exactly work for him, and I'm not qualified to give definite answers about his products.

:)

On having the degree in engineering- I could pretty easily explain it so everyone can understand how it works, but that would give everything about it away- and Jeff probably doesn't want me to do that if he doesn't even want pictures of it posted up on the internet.

nismogod
@Dec 4 2004, 07:11 AM
i understand your point. and i dont down you for feeling such, but i also understand jeff's point. and i appreciate the attitude that was taken rather then being harsh as others may have been

Cal, my bad about the R. lol.

i'm pretty dern sure it comes with a filter, because jeff was sayin it took hima little time to get all the filters made.

dmmd3, i'll add you to the list. that makes 4 now. lol.
[post=426238]Quoted post[/post]​

:) No worries about the R. It happens all the time- I just don't know why people think there's one in there! It's always misspelled the same way too.

Hopefully Jeff will come in and answer some questions. I don't want to step on his toes or say anything he wouldn't want me to say about the intake.

could someone email us pics of the intake rather then posting them. I refuse to buy something i cant get a picture of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back