Is a d series worth building?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jdmfosho
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 13K

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jdmfosho

I have A 99 civic coupe and I plan on building my engine
Was wonderin if it's worth it to put the money in a d series single cam or should I look into putting like a b series in and then build that?

well to get that safely your gonna have to build up a d series and turbo it on to of it or, just get a b series with a turbo on a good tune and be done with it

300hp is possible w/ a D-series.. much easier w/ a b-series.. .. either one will require a turbo setup

LS, 1000 bucks. GSR 2000 bucks. LS/V do it yourself.. 1500 bucks.

These are rough numbers for decent engines. Go to hmotorsonline.com and shop around, that will give you a good idea what a good clean motor will cost. Or you can roll the dice at your local salvage yard and see what comes up.

ive never done a swap before but i ahve some friends who have but they were sayin would be a little harder cus i have a d series in mine now and want to put a b series in its not to difficult is it?

i have and its the first place i will check when buying my next motor

Nobody here has any confidence in the D-Series. Ever think of it this way?
For the cost of your swap (say around $2500-3k when its all said and done) you could have easily built that D-Series (Pistons, Rods, Sleeves). Now, say that B-Series wasn't enough, and you decided to turbo it stock.. another 1500-2k on a decent turbo setup +tune puts you at almost 5k into the B-Series and you're still stock turbo'd.

Take that money you just put into the turbo for the B, and turbo the D, and you already have a built engine that's ready for it.

IMO, stick with the D-Series. Just as capable of making power with the right parts.

but even with the new sleeves which cost a pretty penny they cant hold as much hp as easy a b series can tho can they?

and where u take your car to get after market sleeves?

but even with the new sleeves which cost a pretty penny they cant hold as much hp as easy a b series can tho can they?

and where u take your car to get after market sleeves?

A properly re-sleeved D-Series will EASILY take just as much abuse as a B-Series. Its just cheaper to do because you already have that engine.

You can send your engine to just about any speed shop and they will do it, I know Kaizenspeed in Washginton does it, search the shops in your area.

Back