JDM pass California smog??? Charcoal Canister

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well i went to smog today and I got passed the inspection but it didn't pass the sniffer at idle. Not sure what the eff but its pissed me off. It was warmed up and thought the cat was up to temp. It sat there running for almost an hour and he seemed like a good guy but it didn't make it

120 is the high in CA and it was 240. He said its unburnt gas. Makes me think my P30 USDM has a chip in it or something (maybe b/c the fuel/air ratio isn't stock which puts it higher....??) It don't read the knock sensor so I think it might be the problem. The cat has always been good to me ('92 original) but I might need a new one? He said it wasn't that high and that he could diagnose it for $70. Gonna have him look at it Monday and see whats up...seems like my only option. I can take the ECU back and switch it with the guy (he has one in his car too) he told me we could switch if I wanted....so I just might now and try again. I figure I can find out if its the Cat first and go from there.

chip would be in this location

254549d1257174383-diy-honda-ecu-repairs-p30-p08-p27-pr3-chip-feels.jpg

254550d1257174383-diy-honda-ecu-repairs-p30-p08-p27-pr3-ecu.jpg

I think I'll crack it open soon to check thanks

Took the four screws out and it seems to be stuck on there.....I don't want to pry it off too hard....not sure what the hell is going on....edit...nevermind...I'm an idiot. I left the receipt on the ECU which was covering the center screw....pics up in a moment

Last edited:
Okay....I can't get into my photoshop account.....Eff!

eg6sir I do have a chip in that location....doens't say much on it (not liek the pic you gave) but there is something in the same exact spot. Is that spot suppose to be empty or what???????

Place I bought it from is gonna do right by me and get me another one. Hopefully get it this week...along with ordering me a Knock Sensor for the one I busted taking the oil filter off "Doh!!"

damn dude that really sucks! did you check craigslist for a P30 first? I have seen some arround here for 100.

questions about swap CA Smog

Hey. I was wondering if anyone on this thread might be able to help me..

So I am in the process of replacing the B16A engine in my 93 Honda Del Sol. I decided to get a B18C GSR. But after researching I am trying to answer these questions.

1.) Do I need a new manifold, ECU, motormount, and transmission for the car? or can I use the old ones. and are there any serious problems that this might cause besides the decrease in torque for the old 1.6L ECU?

2.) Is this swap legal in CA for my 93 del sol? And do I have to install the p72 ECU in order to pass, or can i just use the ECU for my B16A? What about any of the other components I mentioned?

I don't know a lot about car engines or parts so this is really confusing for me to figure out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Research and read. The topics you need to look up are easily found throughout this site and others (Including this actual thread)

so from what i understand it is illegal to put a JDMb18cgsr in a del sol since it is a JDM motor not offered in the del sols, but it's legal to put in a USDMB18C1gsr since its a us model. That is so annoying..

Still it seems, CAFROG, if i understand correctly, you got a BAR sticker from the visual inspection of the REF but you failed to pass the smog check at the smog station? So basically once you pass the smog you are effectively BARd?

Could i do the same with my 93del sol b16a -> a jdm b18c gsr using the B16a manifold and ECU since they are both already USDM?

Come on people... it's 2010 and we've been talking about this since 1996.

Directly from CARB's website:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Engine Changes[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine. [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    [*][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine.

Background Material: Replacement Parts Guidelines - Aftermarket, Performance and Add-On Parts Regulations

[/FONT]
So in short, yes, you can put a GSR engine in a Del Sol as long as it's the same year or newer and you retain all of your smog equipment. You HAVE to use a USDM ECU. It's easier / cleaner to swap to a USDM intake manifold (or simply just the throttle body on some engines), but you can T in a vacuum line for your charcoal canister and zip tie the purge control valve instead.

What you CAN'T do is put a B20 into a Civic, Integra, or Del Sol because that engine came from a different class of car. You can only put that engine into an SUV.

If you want to put an OBD2 engine in an OBD1 vehicle, you have to convert the vehicle to OBD2 to match the US version of the vehicle that engine comes in. In other words, if you get a JDM B18C (type R), you have to put a USDM Type R ECU and charcoal equipment into it and it has to pass the Type R's minimum allowed emissions. But I'm pretty sure they will test it on the dyno as an OBD1 and not do the OBD2 ECU scan test.

The bullet that mentions "California certified vehicle" is new. Open your hood and look at the emissions label on the underside. It will say "This vehicle conforms... ... ....". If it says "California", then you can no longer swap in a JDM engine. You will have to swap a USDM Integra or Civic Si etc. If it says "Federal", then the car was originally sold in another state and then brought to California. They hold you to federal standards so it's slightly easier to pass, and you can still swap JDM engines as long as they meet the other criteria.

Last edited:
CAFROG that is a chip.. and it sux it isnt the one that you can lift the lever and replace w/ a different one.. because i have a stock b16a map burned to an SST chip from when i chipped my p28.. the guy made me a stock map just in case the basemap he made me didnt work out

Not BAR'd yet....just getting a smog ;-) shhhhhh

So I am glad to find out I have a chipped P30 and this MIGHT be my problem at idle. I would rather not buy a $200 restricting Cat (mines all broke in lol) or a $180 O2 sensor.

Shop I bought it from will get me a new one and I'll pop it open right in front of him before I go through this crap again. And I'm hooking it up right then and there to see if the CEL for Knock comes up.

Back