Job Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My title 'Maintenence Worker'... But I hardly do any fucking maintenance. I work for the City Of Lancaster. My job discription includes anything from fixing irrigation systems to janitorial work. I was one of the last guys hired so guess what I get stuck with doing... yup, fucking janitorial work :( all the other guys took the fun and easy shit like changing light bulbs and riding those big ass lawn mowers... I need some sort schooling... Can anyone suggest some sort of schooling that can be done online for most of the time? Anything that will start allowing me to make more money.............

I need some sort schooling... Can anyone suggest some sort of schooling that can be done online for most of the time? Anything that will start allowing me to make more money.............

Go to a local college, university, community college, etc. and get a brochure or catalog, or just hit up their websites to see what they offer. Don't go through one of the strictly online schools like University of Phoenix, Kaplan, etc. Some of those schools aren't even accredited, which makes their degrees pretty much worthless. Others are accredited, but a lot of HR people would still give preference to people who actually went to an established institution and spent some time in a classroom, even if it's just a community college.

There's nothing wrong with taking some of your classes online, but as a general rule I'd say you'll get more credos by actually having a degree from a more established school where you'll actually spend some time on campus. Even taking online classes from a regular college (as opposed to a strictly online school) looks better to a potential employer then a degree from an online school.

I have studied HR and I have friends in HR, so I do actually know this to be true...

I want to get involved in investigating auto insurance claims. Catching thieves red handed and giving honest guys what their car is truly worth. I think I would love trying to figure that shit out. But unfortunately I have no idea where to go to find out about it. Anyone here know?

Have you looked on Monster at all? I don't know what location you're looking in, but I get daily job listings sent to me and I see ads for auto claims adjusters pretty frequently...

Go to a local college, university, community college, etc. and get a brochure or catalog, or just hit up their websites to see what they offer. Don't go through one of the strictly online schools like University of Phoenix, Kaplan, etc. Some of those schools aren't even accredited, which makes their degrees pretty much worthless. Others are accredited, but a lot of HR people would still give preference to people who actually went to an established institution and spent some time in a classroom, even if it's just a community college.

There's nothing wrong with taking some of your classes online, but as a general rule I'd say you'll get more credos by actually having a degree from a more established school where you'll actually spend some time on campus. Even taking online classes from a regular college (as opposed to a strictly online school) looks better to a potential employer then a degree from an online school.

I have studied HR and I have friends in HR, so I do actually know this to be true...
The thing is I don't trust anyone to watch my kids nor do I make enough money to pay someone to watch my kids. My girlfriend and I have a schedule worked out already so the only time I have, as of right now, is when my kids are taking their nap or playing. I completely understand what you are saying but online is the only way for me right now :( I was planning on going to my local community college and getting my ASE Certification but time-wise, it's just not feasable for me. What kind of degree would be ok to get online? I'm open to anything right now...

My title 'Maintenence Worker'... But I hardly do any fucking maintenance. I work for the City Of Lancaster. My job discription includes anything from fixing irrigation systems to janitorial work. I was one of the last guys hired so guess what I get stuck with doing... yup, fucking janitorial work :( all the other guys took the fun and easy shit like changing light bulbs and riding those big ass lawn mowers... I need some sort schooling... Can anyone suggest some sort of schooling that can be done online for most of the time? Anything that will start allowing me to make more money.............

You should go into HVAC, should be similar to what you're doing now but I hear they get paid pretty good, especially commercial ones. Really, any of the "simple" stuff would help you; welding, etc. and they don't take too long to get(usually like 2 semesters IIRC). Pretty much just take something you're already familiar with in your line of work. That way you'll already have experience plus you'd now have the knowledge/certification.

Right now I'm in community college and working full time(transfering to NCSU in about 2 years). It's pretty hard, but I can do homework and stuff during my breaks. My schedule allows me to take about 4 classes per semester; I can take one 1-2hr class a day M-Thurs and 2 or 3 classes on Fridays. :)

About the kids; most community colleges have day cares. I don't know how much they cost though. ASE's usually take longer to get also.

You should go into HVAC, should be similar to what you're doing now but I hear they get paid pretty good, especially commercial ones. Really, any of the "simple" stuff would help you; welding, etc. and they don't take too long to get(usually like 2 semesters IIRC). Pretty much just take something you're already familiar with in your line of work. That way you'll already have experience plus you'd now have the knowledge/certification.

Right now I'm in community college and working full time(transfering to NCSU in about 2 years). It's pretty hard, but I can do homework and stuff during my breaks. My schedule allows me to take about 4 classes per semester; I can take one 1-2hr class a day M-Thurs and 2 or 3 classes on Fridays. :)
I have an HVAC guy on my crew and i've talked to him about getting into that field and he told me it also requires a full welding course. I can't remember exactly what the different types of welding are but I do remember him saying that he even had to take an under water welding course. I am looking into to it though, thanks. Would you guys suggest any computer related fields?

I am a mechanic for the US Navy. I spend my day getting greasy under a tow tractor.

Im in the process of opening my own car audio shop. Just got a hell of a deal on a location that kinda fell in my lap. Was working for some jackass for 12 years and finally quit. Was worried about leaving because I had job security but I said F#@K IT and left. Was doing a lil work out of my dads shop but now im taking his old shop that we just moved him out of and into a bigger building.

Have you looked on Monster at all? I don't know what location you're looking in, but I get daily job listings sent to me and I see ads for auto claims adjusters pretty frequently...
I'll have to check that out. I also am turning in my application to the Air Marshals. And tonight my mom mentioned a job having to do with the postal service. Who knows, I'm open to everything pretty much.

I'll have to check that out. I also am turning in my application to the Air Marshals. And tonight my mom mentioned a job having to do with the postal service. Who knows, I'm open to everything pretty much.

Didn't you just finish up your degree? Advertising maybe, though I can't remember exactly. No leads in that field? Not judging or anything, but it seems like a 4 year education is kind of a waste if you're not going to use it. I wish all the time I had finished college. Got half done, moved out, met a girl, got married, had kid, etc. etc. The famous, "I'm going to take a semester off" line applies to me. Now it's 12 years later. Not that I don't make good money or anything, but I know with my degree I wouldn't have to work so hard to make that money.

Im in the process of opening my own car audio shop. Just got a hell of a deal on a location that kinda fell in my lap. Was working for some jackass for 12 years and finally quit. Was worried about leaving because I had job security but I said F#@K IT and left. Was doing a lil work out of my dads shop but now im taking his old shop that we just moved him out of and into a bigger building.

^^^^^^^i think someone already has that avatar

Didn't you just finish up your degree? Advertising maybe, though I can't remember exactly. No leads in that field? Not judging or anything, but it seems like a 4 year education is kind of a waste if you're not going to use it. I wish all the time I had finished college. Got half done, moved out, met a girl, got married, had kid, etc. etc. The famous, "I'm going to take a semester off" line applies to me. Now it's 12 years later. Not that I don't make good money or anything, but I know with my degree I wouldn't have to work so hard to make that money.

Honestly very few people end up working in the field that they got their degree in. I graduated a year ago with a BBA in management and HR, and I'm currently doing college recruiting. I guess it's similar to HR in the recruiting aspect, but that's pretty much the focus, whereas an actual HR job is usually multi-faceted, or you specialize in one particular area. It's not a bad job, but it's not what I envisioned doing upon graduation. :shrug2:

A lot of employers are just looking for the fact that you completed a four year degree. The subject area doesn't matter that much. Companies will often provide you with whatever specific training they want you to have. For example, a degree in behavioral science would probably qualify you for some HR type jobs.

Obviously there's exceptions for specialized fields like accounting, medicine, etc. A job in those fields generally would actually require a relevant degree...

Honestly very few people end up working in the field that they got their degree in. I graduated a year ago with a BBA in management and HR, and I'm currently doing college recruiting. I guess it's similar to HR in the recruiting aspect, but that's pretty much the focus, whereas an actual HR job is usually multi-faceted, or you specialize in one particular area. It's not a bad job, but it's not what I envisioned doing upon graduation. :shrug2:

A lot of employers are just looking for the fact that you completed a four year degree. The subject area doesn't matter that much. Companies will often provide you with whatever specific training they want you to have. For example, a degree in behavioral science would probably qualify you for some HR type jobs.

Obviously there's exceptions for specialized fields like accounting, medicine, etc. A job in those fields generally would actually require a relevant degree...
Exactly. All the jobs I'm looking at require a 4 year degree or offer advancement right off the bat with a 4 year degree.

I did get my BA in advertising. The problem? When I got into the hands on stuff my senior year I realized it wasn't what I wanted to do. Far too much research. And a degree in advertising really just talk to how to sell myself, so in turn, I'm very good with people.

Back