Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Now its got me thinking... If its in the charge pipe then it has to be the turbo seal, cause if it was the rings or valve seals, then it would just go right out the exhaust side of the turbo... It shouldn't pass through the turbo and back into the motor...

Now its got me thinking... If its in the charge pipe then it has to be the turbo seal, cause if it was the rings or valve seals, then it would just go right out the exhaust side of the turbo... It shouldn't pass through the turbo and back into the motor...

thats what im thinking as well. and when i took the charge piping off, there was a noticeable amount of oil. i mean like a small pool at the bottom of the piping. its not just a slight coating..

Does the turbo have an adequate oil return line? Have you checked it to see if it's draining the oil properly?

Then its bigger turbo time or rebuild time??
i think ill probably rebuild the turbo that is on there. its suitable for my build, and has made the power that i want it to.
Does the turbo have an adequate oil return line? Have you checked it to see if it's draining the oil properly?
im using a stealthmode performance oil feed/return setup (i had to get my own barb fittings, but im using their hose)found here: http://www.stealthmodeperformance.com/oil-kit.shtml
its the T3 kit, because i originally had a t3/t4 for the car. 10an drain, 3an feed
the only problem i could see with it is that it has a stretch of about an inch where its flat (meaning no downhill slope towards the pan). shouldnt the car still be smoking if i have the charge piping disconnected in this case?

Last edited:
I'd try to find a way to make sure that the oil drain is as straight a shot to the pan as possible, but you probably just have bad seals. How old is the turbo?

I'd try to find a way to make sure that the oil drain is as straight a shot to the pan as possible, but you probably just have bad seals. How old is the turbo?

i was told it was brand new. it looked pretty damn new, but i honestly cannot say that i know for sure it was brand new. been using it on my car for about a yr now, less than 6k miles on it. would a crappy drain cause oil to push past the seals? repped for your help

Yes, if the drain is obstructed or restricted, it will cause oil pressure to build up in the center section and push past the seals. The seals may still work just fine if you can evacuate the oil faster than you're feeding it.

That is assuming that the drain is the problem.

well i got the turbo out, and i got some pics as well. i completely forgot that i changed the drain from the stealthmode setup. the way i have my charge piping routed makes it only possible to route it a certain way, and the braided line simply would not cooperate. so this is what im stuck with:
2011-03-08_15-48-58_264.jpg

inlet on the turbo:
2011-03-08_15-16-24_564.jpg

outlet:
2011-03-08_16-06-52_833.jpg

exhaust side:
2011-03-08_16-07-23_943.jpg

this is the outside of the turbo. i obviously have a leak somewhere:
2011-03-08_16-07-35_591.jpg

then theres the charge piping. ignore the rocks, i dropped this piece in the field carrying it back out to the shop lol
2011-03-08_16-07-58_76.jpg

another piece of the charge piping, some oil trapped between the coupler and piping:
2011-03-08_16-08-21_69.jpg

also had a leak on the gasket for the turbo, probably not relevant but still notable:
2011-03-08_16-11-08_117.jpg

thoughts?

edit: sorry for the shit pictures, my droid fails at taking pics in the shop for some reason

It looks like your drain flange goes to a reducer, then a brass 45, then hose, then another brass 45? Can't you take out the reducers and use larger fittings and hose?

Looks like it to me, I've never seen a reducer on the drain like that.

That is possible the drain line could be to small... I would to try and get a bigger drain line and make sure there is no flat spots..

fuck, that means im probably going to have to redo my charge piping as well. as of right now there isnt another way to run it

ill try a larger diameter piece of hose, and im also taking the turbo in to have it looked at and be sure that everything is in order. there is a slight amount of side to side shaft play

Back