Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was going to put the engine back together today, but I realized I was missing a new O-Ring for the oil pump. SMH. It'll be here Tuesday.

Update on some progress for you all:
I just finished replacing parts on the main shaft of the transmission. It was actually fairly simple.
Parts replaced:
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and Reverse Synchronizers with new carbon coated Synchrotech Synchronizers.
3-4 Synchro Sleeve
1-2 Synchro Sleeve
5-R Synchro Sleeve
Did some filing on the gears to remove mushroomed material. Scuffed up the gear cones to ensure that the new synchros will grab to the best of their ability.

Waiting on a shipment from Majestic so I can put the case back on the transmission. I'm also playing a waiting game with the machine shop that has the cylinder head. The bottom end is back together. Fresh oil pump, pan gasket, pickup gasket, oil front and rear main seals.

Need to order up some fluids as well. I'll either run Honda MTF or GM Synchromesh in the transmission, I can't remember if the LSD likes Honda MTF or not.

I have had good luck with honda mtf mixed with pennzoil synchro mesh in my itr trans.

GM has 2 synchromesh one with friction modifier and one without

Yeah, I ran the friction modified Synchromesh in my transmission prior to replacing the synchronizers in an attempt to quick-fix the problem.

I'm probably going to have to call MFactory, I can't remember what they said about the transmission fluid. I DO remember that they said I couldn't run a certain type, I believe it was engine oil.

Just trying to get in touch about that wastegate

Matt96HB.. I've been following your work here. Found out about the wg you're selling. There's 3 buyers for your wastegate at your FS synaspse wg page. We're all getting antsy about the wg. Can you take a minute and let us know if you still have it... I'm the second asker so if the first does not want it. I'll take it.

I completely forgot about that thread. I responded in there.

Got some pics uploading from my phone of the re-assembly. I'll post em later on tonight if my phone decides to finish the upload.

These are old now, but I thought I'd put em up anyway:
new parts: seals, gaskets, etc..
2011-08-12_15-52-38_0.jpg

New OEM oil pump:
2011-08-12_15-50-10_230.jpg

Bottom end together:
2011-08-12_15-49-13_640.jpg

This was during the transmission rebuild. Not as bad as it looks.
2011-08-12_15-49-20_93.jpg

Updated pics tomorrow, I'll be back out in the shop.

Broke the vacuum nipple off of my map sensor last night :( was trying to fab up a bracket for it and it got pinched in the vise. Fail. Good thing I can get a new GM map sensor for $25 shipped :)

The good news is that my energy shift linkage bushings arrived, along with some Torco MTF.

I'll make one as soon as break-in is complete. Oh and with views from outside the car, and maybe some editing this time. lol
My engine bay is a fustercluck.

I think the valve cover is going to stay raw looking. I may clean it up a little bit, but not much. I like the look.

The car is driving very well. The transmission shifts really smooth at all RPM's. It is definitely a night and day difference. I love it. No fluids are leaking, the engine sounds healthy.

Kay, so now take a road trip to the Tacoma area. Youll get free photo shoots when you get here, at multiple locations. And Ill even give a place to stay for a few days. lol

^ deal! lol except my car runs at 4k on the freeway. not good for the engine :/

I took my parents for a ride in the car last night. My dad is impressed, my mom is scared of it now. haha

trying to get the idle ironed out (rich on the tune and the idle screw is being a whore), hopefully will get some miles packed on it this week then its tune time once again.

expect higher numbers. that is all.

Back