Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Never heard of coddington. I was just saying it would make it look cheap and ricey. It looks fine just the way it is. Though, it was dark blue before, wasn't it?
It has always been black, but I did go with Nighthawk Black Pearl which has some blue flake in it

I can't find a picture of the color I was thinking of. Darker blue, definitely didn't think it was black the whole time. Goes to show how observant I am.

I can't find a picture of the color I was thinking of. Darker blue, definitely didn't think it was black the whole time. Goes to show how observant I am.
And the light and camera, plus camera angle. Add to that the translation done for the interpretation onto the video screen - doesn't do the color justice at all.

I talked about going midnight blue with it, I can't remember if I said that on here or not. It's a possibility if I do decide to repaint the car at some point.

Hahahahaha.

I'm heading home for the weekend (my bday is Monday) so hopefully the roads will be clear and I can take the hatch out for a spin. :)

Got to drive my Civic last night! I missed it.

I found a couple of VTEC heads in the area, I am thinking I will pick one of them up over the course of the next week. I have been contemplating going LS-VTEC and I think it'll be a good move in the long run. The head will remain stock.

Picked up a GSR head with ITR springs/retainers, GSR cams, V/C that has -10AN bungs welded in for my breather box, a set of LS-VTEC dowels, and an oil line for the head. It has been freshly milled, only .002" taken off, which really doesn't matter to me because I'm already at a low compression ratio.

I plan to find a used aftermarket intake manifold and a throttle body. I'll re-use my fuel rail and injectors, possibly my TB if I cant come up with anything else. So, my LS head will be up for sale shortly.

nice! I'm really curious to see what the power gain will be. I got my hatch on the road for the first time since November. It felt like an absolute rocket ship after driving my autotragic truck for so long.

Got some pics of the new DD. I did a cut, buff, wax, and oil change today. I decided I am going to sell the maroon 4dr, and just keep this. Keep in mind it has 192k on it. The following picture is the reason why I decided to do a cut and buff (obviously a before pic)
2012-03-12_12-00-08_872.jpg

Some shots after I finished.. cell pics:
2012-03-12_15-50-24_143.jpg

2012-03-12_15-50-44_280.jpg

2012-03-12_15-51-05_583.jpg

2012-03-12_15-51-22_936.jpg

Also snapped a couple pics of the new head. 95 GSR head, ITR springs/retainers, GSR cams, VC is shaved and has fittings for my breather box.
2012-03-12_15-52-30_204.jpg

2012-03-12_15-52-38_53.jpg

2012-03-12_15-53-01_183.jpg

2012-03-12_15-51-49_845.jpg

nice! I'm really curious to see what the power gain will be. I got my hatch on the road for the first time since November. It felt like an absolute rocket ship after driving my autotragic truck for so long.
It should be a noticeable improvement. Not to mention I won't be fighting the damn valve train when I try to set the timing :thumbsup:

Driving my hatch again was definitely a wakeup from the old 4 door. Haha. I can't imagine going from a chevy to a hatch.. I bet it did feel like a missile :p

Nice work! Red is a rewarding color to cut and buff, it always seems to make a dramatic improvement.

What do you use to cut/buff? How hard was it to learn to do properly?
After going through several cheap polishers, I found this and I love it so far:
Cyclo Polishers
I used the supplied pad kit (came with my polisher) and 3m cutting compound and machine glaze. I started with the orange cutting pads and 3m cutting compound, worked the whole car with that and then moved to the green pad with 3m machine glaze. After that I finished with a cheap ($4) bottle of Turtlewax. I applied the wax by hand and then used the white polishing pads to buff the car to the shine you see in the after pictures.

Cutting/buffing isn't too difficult; the most important part is to take it slow and do one panel at a time at first. Also, be aware of the age of the paint you are working with. Even basic washing will remove small amounts of clear coat over time, and when hit with a polisher the clear coat disappears a lot faster than you'd think. I start at the top of the panel and work my way down moving side to side with the polisher. I usually polish until the compound is worked into the surface (meaning there's not much left on the paint) and then let it dry to a chalky texture. Wipe it clean if needed, and move to the next compound.

Damn you work fast. Glad you still got that hatch.
Yeah I don't have a lot of free time these days so I have to work quickly :p
I am glad I still have the hatch too. Financial stresses made me want to sell it for a while, but as it turns out I have some spare cash so the hatch will stay. As you can see, I have some upgrades planned as well ;)
Nice work! Red is a rewarding color to cut and buff, it always seems to make a dramatic improvement.
Yeah, this is my second red car that I have polished (first was my maroon cb7) and I am happy. This car looks great, especially for 192k.

Red and Black are the most sensitive colors to UV damage and "aging". Nice work Matt.
thanks! :thumbsup:
Yeah the hood of this car was covered in those hard water spots pictured above. When taken through a car wash, nothing changed. My dad insisted that they were permanent, and advised me not to mess with it. Oops;)

thanks! :thumbsup:
Yeah the hood of this car was covered in those hard water spots pictured above. When taken through a car wash, nothing changed. My dad insisted that they were permanent, and advised me not to mess with it. Oops;)
What happens is this: Once the clear coat is cut through and into the color, it will recover and shine when polished, but the shine doesn't last very long anymore.

Not throwing cold water on your effort. Short of a paint job, you did the next best thing. It's old paint and you shined it up. It is what it is - either polish it or drive it around skanky looking.

Just keep a coat of wax on it or glaze and it'll do fine. :)

That buffer/polisher is very nice looking. Certainly one a less experienced user could have success with. :thumbsup:

What happens is this: Once the clear coat is cut through and into the color, it will recover and shine when polished, but the shine doesn't last very long anymore.

Not throwing cold water on your effort. Short of a paint job, you did the next best thing. It's old paint and you shined it up. It is what it is - either polish it or drive it around skanky looking.

Just keep a coat of wax on it or glaze and it'll do fine. :)

That buffer/polisher is very nice looking. Certainly one a less experienced user could have success with. :thumbsup:

There's still clear coat left on the car, I think it was just really dirty and oxidizing in some spots. It came out nice. The polisher has been great so far, it also has a lifetime warranty so I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon :thumbsup:

The maroon 4dr Accord is now listed on craigslist. I pulled all of my stereo stuff out, fixed a couple little things, and cleaned it tonight. I have it up for 3k, have to start high with craigslist people. haha.

God damn there's a lot of interest in the maroon 4dr. At least 15 calls today, and had 3 texts within 6 hours of posting the damn thing last night.

Threw an intake on the new coupe. Love the sound of it :)

Back