My new 2010 Subaru WRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

now i just bought 2 pot rear calipers and the mounting brackets and rear rotors to make it all work. someone stop me lol.

just a little background. WRX's from 02-05 came with standard 2-pot slider front, 1-pot slider rear stock. in 06-07, WRXs switched to a fixed 4-pot/2-pot setup. the fronts are the same size, but the rears are larger for the 2 pots. which shifts brake bias towards the rear and improves braking. then in 08-13 subaru switched back to the old 2/1-pot slider setup.

you can see that a while back, i upgraded the front to the 4-pot setup. this was really a small upgrade over stock and mostly aesthetic. but the "feel" of the 4 pots is much improved. i always wanted to upgrade the rears, but at the time, no one made a conversion bracket. a few companies made brackets to fit the older cars, but nothing for me unless i wanted to go all out and upgrade to the 08+ sti brembo setup (which is bolt on). i decided that while the brembos are an awesome setup, and look great, i didnt need it. youre looking at a 1500-2000 investment depending on what kind of deal you can get, and it wont fit under 15" wheels like the wrx 4-pots will.

then KNSBrakes finally came out with a bracket a few months ago. the cost is high for a set of brackets but they are at least well made and come with 12.9 hardware. the rears for the 2 pots are also slightly larger and has a thicker vented rotor rather than a thin solid rotor.

so im going from a 286x10mm solid rotor to a 290x18mm vented rotos.

Last edited:
Wow. You're gonna be able to lock up all four wheels any time you want. lol.

I've been recently looking up brake upgrades as well. I'm sick of drums on the back. We'll see where that goes though.

and some more "while I'm in there" parts.

Whiteline Steering rack bushings (poly)
Whiteline "Positive Shift Kit" Transmission mount bushings (poly)

can i use dirt? LOL.

ask him what media i need? the interior surfaces of the piston bore CANNOT be damaged. and those parts dont need to be blasted at all. ask him what would work best for getting the paint off of aluminum but wont damage it or score it in any way. sand may bee too harsh i think.

can i use dirt? LOL.

ask him what media i need? the interior surfaces of the piston bore CANNOT be damaged. and those parts dont need to be blasted at all. ask him what would work best for getting the paint off of aluminum but wont damage it or score it in any way. sand may bee too harsh i think.

Get a jug of aluminum oxide.

think i can get that from HF? how much will he need? its 2 rear calipers that are split in half, so 4 caliper halves

Asking now.

And btw, I figured out why the welds were so messy last night -- it's because I needed to turn the feed speed up a lot higher.

can i use dirt? LOL.

I use Aluminum oxide from harbor freight in my blast cabinet and it is great for stripping paint but it will texture steel easily so I would worry about it damaging the bore surface.

You may want to try soda blasting media or walnut shell media. The down side to walnut shell media is it can impregnate oil into the metal and make it really hard to get a good coat of paint on it when you are done.

off-forum communications:
Ian: You find out where I can get the AlO media at? 5:12 PM
Me: intern boy says "Ill let u know I might have some actually" 5:14 PM
Ian: Ok cool 5:46 PM
Me: And btw, it's Al2O3. 5:50 PM
Ian: I know lol. 5:51 PM
Me: Took me a while to figure out what you meant. 5:53 PM
Ian: Lol 5:53 PM

Sorry to change the subject, but what kind of mileage do you get?

Back