My newest build for SCCA STL/HPDE's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

$2k is the cheapest in town. I got quotes of 2k, 2300, 4000 for a simple Improved Touring style cage.

I sold the pre bent cage so that is the cost for all materials too.

DOM is not an option its required which sucks because I had an ERW half cage I welded in with a friend I could of just extended into a full cage very cheap. SCCA says DOM and I think NASA too so I dont have a choice.
:rant:

One little snag I had is finally corrected. I was trying to find an exact replacement for my oil block off adapter for my ebay oil cooler setup after I had a friend tap it and destroy it for me.

I got this setup from pegasus racing with fittings for $30 because I couldnt find just that piece. I could have run it like this but it is a critical thing to not have properly hooked up and have potential oil leaks causing me to crash or have someone behind me crash.

I wasnt going to risk it over $30.

You can see how jacked the adapter on the right is from a shitty tapping job. I didnt have a drill press and he did and apparently didnt give a shit. I can now finally hook up the oil cooler and check oil psi and oil temp to check and see what weight oil im going to run to try and maintain about 10 psi per 1000 rpms.

oiladap.jpg

Im dying not being able to go to the track right now. I think in a couple weeks I will have the funds for the roll cage.

Last edited:
Why did it need to be tapped? Wasn't it already tapped for fittings?

It was tapped and came with fittings already but barely even tightening one of them and it snapped off.

I couldnt figure out what size it was because it wasnt like a standard 1/2 or 3/16 etc. I called the ebay people I got it from and they didnt even know what size it was so that pretty much left me with tapping it out because I dont even have 1 local speed shop I could go to that I would be able to find the right replacements for.

I took it to home depot and lowes and couldnt get a sizing there either.

Its fixed now so I will be putting it in on tomorrow and then checking my recently installed gauges out (AEM).

I was about to install this today and then I realized its like 100 outside.

So I have been looking into TT for NASA and it seems like it would be a little cheaper for when I cant race and travel as far with scca. I need to figure out my classing, B16 mentioned to email the director about a new classing? I went to look at nasa tt and the rules for classing were not available because they were working on the new ones. I guess I dont really understand the points outside of them using a power to weight formula?

Here are the steps.

1.) email your TT director asking for a new base classing based on chassis, engine WHP and race weight. Pay attention to base tire size too because typically you can subtract points for the width you run vs. the width for your base class.

2.) Fill out this for skipping the engine mod section. http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/time_trial_classification.pdf

Last edited:
One little snag I had is finally corrected. I was trying to find an exact replacement for my oil block off adapter for my ebay oil cooler setup after I had a friend tap it and destroy it for me.

I got this setup from pegasus racing with fittings for $30 because I couldnt find just that piece. I could have run it like this but it is a critical thing to not have properly hooked up and have potential oil leaks causing me to crash or have someone behind me crash.

I wasnt going to risk it over $30.

You can see how jacked the adapter on the right is from a shitty tapping job. I didnt have a drill press and he did and apparently didnt give a shit. I can now finally hook up the oil cooler and check oil psi and oil temp to check and see what weight oil im going to run to try and maintain about 10 psi per 1000 rpms.

oiladap.jpg

Im dying not being able to go to the track right now. I think in a couple weeks I will have the funds for the roll cage.

what is wrong with the one on the left? nothing? thats the same one i have...

Ok thanks, I need to go do some NASA events so I can get up to HPDE 4 and then get checked off. Im allowed to start at HPDE 2 and then see if I can get a ride along and bumped up again.

The oil adapter on the left is fine and what I replaced the messed up one on the right with.

I havent done much lately because its been so damn hot.

Oil adapter is bottoming out before it seals so Im going to have to cut the oil piece down.

But I did pick this up to help my efforts.

acunit.jpg

Drops the garage temps down like 15 degrees or so!

80 degrees is so much better than like 95

I still have some touching up to do but its pretty much done and awesome.

Last edited:
youre not kidding. ive barely stepped out of my house because of the damn heat. all week had been like 95-100 with a heat index of like 115. fuck that noise.

thats the average summer here... put on your man panties and get outside

lol in my case my garage has no side doors or windows so the ventilation is terrible.

I should be getting some new stuff soon....still saving for the cage but almost there.

Last edited:
i feel ya on the ventilation.. my garage has one side door that i have to leave closed or the dogs will book it down the street.. no windows.. i've thought about installing a window in the garage

I totally would have done a window but I have an HOA and all I could do was a stealth dryer duct behind a bush.

Im going to add some flourescent lights because of how dark it is in there now.

Im home today and these just showed up!

hyperco.jpg

Hyper Coil 1100lb 7in rear springs, now I have 800f/1100r and I can always go back to my 500/800.

Wow......stiff stiff stiff. I need to learn more about spring rates. I know that track use should be stiffer than street use but what about road race vs. drag spring rates? I would like to know if there is something in the middle. I am on the fence when it comes to the direction of my hatch. One minute....I want to drag and hit N/A 11's......the next moment (after I watch a video like yours or Katman) I want to road race and pass domestic muscle all day long!

Nice! I'm thinking of picking up a set of 1100's also. I'm currently 800/900, thinking of going 900/1100.

eg6sir, you're forgetting they have humidity and we don't. It really makes 100 deg feel a whole lot different.

cafrog, come out to a track event! I'm in norcal as well. I'll be at Thunderhill 6-7th for the 24hours of lemons race then the following weekend for time trials.

Back