My newest build for SCCA STL/HPDE's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well I called the guy after work and the shop wasnt open about the tires. Im calling earlier tomorrow but work had me swamped today.

I took the car to my buddies today and did some break in procedures on the way.

I got on it for a couple 2nd gear pulls to about 8k. The car feels very strong and has very good low to mid range power which is what I want considering most tracks only have 1 straight away. The high end isnt terrible but in comparison to my old vtec motor it just doesnt have that same pull which is to be expected. I have to say Im pleased with the butt dyno and its not even broken in or tuned perfectly yet. I still need to add race oil and the MSD ignition setup which might free up a couple ponies......it sucks I cant open the air flow up because I can tell thats where I'm choked up highend.

Outside of that I cant complain with the power...now the race to get the cage done with enough time to dyno, align , and corner weight and balance before June 25 lol.

conti take offs ....these should be fun!

225-45-15

contit.jpg

Last edited:
I think he ships them too, he has like 9 more sets at that size.

I paid $200

The guy runs a tire store locally.

They arent legal for scca or nasa I dont think because they are not dot.

Last edited:
Ya, those tires would bump me into TTS.. +30 points in TT for those tires!? crazy.

Minor update.

I got a valve adjustment tool kit since nobody carried just a 12mm I needed for my ls motor. (amazon - norwalk tools)

I also got an antena block off plate because what type of race car would I make with a gay half broken antena sticking out lol.

toolw.jpg

Shitty news is my roll cage guy cant do my cage so I have to got and pay someone now and I was not expecting that!

I will have to replace my front windshield too so it looks like I wont make the Sebring event in June :( maybe Oct.

Last edited:
Damn, that sucks!

LS uses 12mm for valve adjustment? I took a 10mm box end wrench and a torch bent it 90 degrees for my valve adjustment tool. lol

Yeah I have a 10mm for my old vtec motor and when I went into the ls head I was like wtf!

So I did it the wrench way which I think is pretty hard to be as accurate, so now that I have these tools I will be re adjusting the valves again to try to be more accurate. These cams tick loud and I want to make sure its not from a bad valve adjustment and just the cams.

The roll cage guy Im meeting with Saturday so hopefully his quote is within reason considering I have a pre bent kit.

Here is my shitty design. The x bar would connect from the rear shock towers to the shoulder bar.

cagez.jpg

Last edited:
STL is Super Touring so you can go through the firewall to or past the shock towers no further than 31 inches past the front axle.You can also have as many points of connection as you want on the interior.

I met with the cage builder today and was shocked at the pricing, $1200 to put in my pre bent cage or $1900 to do a full cage at a smaller and lighter weight. The cage I have now isnt a perfect fit but is close. Im trying to sell it so I can go with the full blown custom done IT Improved Touring cage which will not allow shock tower monting but will allow me to drop classes if I cant hang in STL. If I do well in STL and feel I can compete I will have the cage gusseted and extended through the firewall.

I also will be picking up some enkei rpf1s with hoosiers and r888s for $800 from a friend so its going to be an expensive month sigh :facepalm:

Someone buy my cage!

Last edited:
Some more money burned through my pockets today.

Used transponder, no choice I have to have one
img2618hx.jpg

Used Cool Shirt, fl is too hot.

img2605nj.jpg

Sparco cup suit, I have a brand new omp but this came as a package deal for $500 total so I couldnt pass it up. I might sell my omp as this is a nicer suit but I have to see how it feels.

img2606g.jpg

Still prepping to drop the car off with the roll cage builder.

Nice! I had a hell of a time finding a used AMB, had to end up buying a new one. Cool shirts FTW.

Nothing special update wise. I need to wait until I get back from my trip Im taking and recoup a little money after the new vehicle purchase.

I needed a new helmet because mine just didnt fit properly.

I went with an HJC AR-10 II 2010, I couldnt find a black si 12 2005 under $500 and a 2010 si 12 is $700 so I went with this one. The si 12 isnt worth the double price for the lighter weight anyway. The 2005 si 12 you can find for 350-500 in white and black if anyone is looking. Installed my hans attachments and test fitted, everything seemed good. I also bought a tinted blue lens which is installed in the pic.

helmetv.jpg

I hope to have some progress soon after my trip.

Last edited:
Feel like a poser just aquiring and bs'ing about racing lol

I got these today, RPF1s 15x7 with a set of used hoosiers, and a set of used toyo ra 1s which should both be good for a race each. I have my contis too which are basically non dot hoosiers for track days towards the end of this year. Im currently planning on using my kumho xs for rain tires which is really not optimal but with the cost to get my license, memberships etc for SCCA I cant get everything I need.

rimtire.jpg

$800 for everything which I dont think is too bad of a deal.

Now I just need the $2k for the cage and Im back on the track which I should have soon once I get my quarterly bonus.

Last edited:
That seems a bit steep to be trimming and welding in pre bent cage bars.

Have you considered shopping around?

Also, I'm not sure what the rule book says but DOM tubing is just ERW that is Drawn Over a sizing Mandrel after it is welded. This makes the size of the tube more exact. So a 2" ID dom is closer to 2" than a non DOM. Otherwise, the metallurgy, wall thicknesses etc. should correspond. All tubing is ERW, or electronically welded.

The idea that DOM is somehow so much better is really an enormous myth, perpetuated by people that sell products made out of "DOM" tube at a premium.

Back