N. Korea - Missle on launch pad

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I wonder if we zapped it with a laser...

I'd be willing to bet we did.

no way...
i highly doubt the missle defense system is to that stage of operational ability, and even if it were i doubt we would let that cat out of the bag unless it was a missle that could 1. hit the US and 2. was known to carry an active warhead

reckedracing said:
no way...
i highly doubt the missle defense system is to that stage of operational ability, and even if it were i doubt we would let that cat out of the bag unless it was a missle that could 1. hit the US and 2. was known to carry an active warhead

:)

the lonely smile post makes me shiver...
especially considering the field you're in...
lol

Yes.. this is what happens when a 3 year old picks up a gun and starts shooting it randomly in a crowd.
ah hahahahaha

The air force labs are testing megawatt solid state lasers whose generators could easily be mounted in a bomb bay on the JSF. I have no doubt that chemical laser platforms are already floating around in space. That is old technology.

MikeBergy said:
The air force labs are testing megawatt solid state lasers whose generators could easily be mounted in a bomb bay on the JSF. I have no doubt that chemical laser platforms are already floating around in space. That is old technology.

Once again, the militarization of space is illegal by world treaty. I think the world's attention would quickly focus away from NK if even the slightest hint of us having orbital lasers were to be discovered.

Also, chemical lasers are a bit trickier in the cold of space. Plus you have to look at the simple fact that there is a lot less medium for which to dissipate heat from such a weapon. It would burn up rather fast.

What world treaty is this ?

Because we've had space lasers since Ronald Reagan.

I know they WANTED to have a space treaty.. declaring Space off limits to weapons.

Ronald laughed for 3 hours.

His intent was defending the country. And to date, we have not used it to attack anyone. I dare say the same were other countries to have the same technology.

Russia attacking Afghanistan? Saudi Arabia attacking Israel ? China attacking Japan ? You bet.

Of every country on the planet - even if I were another national - I would feel most comfortable that the US has this stuff. They have ... we have... proven time and time again to be responsible with military force.

Now, Bring it on, Libs.

I'm all for it. Reminds me of the space ray gun that focuses the sunlight beam... i think that was a james bond movie with "Johnny Tran" in it as diamond face

Celerity said:
I know they WANTED to have a space treaty.. declaring Space off limits to weapons.

Ronald laughed for 3 hours.

His intent was defending the country. And to date, we have not used it to attack anyone. I dare say the same were other countries to have the same technology.

Russia attacking Afghanistan? Saudi Arabia attacking Israel ? China attacking Japan ? You bet.

Of every country on the planet - even if I were another national - I would feel most comfortable that the US has this stuff. They have ... we have... proven time and time again to be responsible with military force.

Now, Bring it on, Libs.

Well, I'll go ahead and start by saying that space based laser weapons are more than easy to take out. Think about it... going back to what I said about dissipating heat in space. All you'd have to do is fire two... maybe three small missiles at the thing. Let the thing shoot all three of them down, it'll fry from the intense heat. Liquid cooling? That heat still has to go somewhere, and without much air as a medium to transfer that heat from one place to another, it'll just build up and build up.

So either it will be blasted down OR it'll fire till it fries.

Hell, the Russians could just ram it with one of their old Cosmos sats. Might not destroy it, but it'll sure as hell deorbit it. Do the math right and you stand a good chance of hitting a city with a superheated object going ten to twenty times its terminal velocity.

Can we say boom?

And you CANNOT say that another country would immediately use that type of technology to attack another country. That's just idiotic neocon foaming at the mouth bullshit. First off, no countries have gained that technology and that type of weapon can't be used for much more than dropping a missile, it's firing time is extremely short and it's recharge/cooling time is extremely long. Simply not a convenient weapon.

Real Genius is not real. Sorry to tell you.

You have a lot to learn about the limited technology we have in the area of energy weapons. Give it a hundred years, then we'll have cut-the-moon-in-half lasers that can be mounted on spacecraft.

Oh, another neat concept Cel... granted we do have or put these weapons in space that are capable of being used for ground based attacks. I'm thinking a project that the Bush administration named (catch this) Rods from God. Basically a weapon that would hurl rods of tungsten or uranium at several thousand miles per hour at whatever target we decide to aim it at with the end result being similar to a nuke.

Ya know how easy it would be to take control of that thing, to turn it around and fire it back at us?

What am I thinking? It's not like the terrorists would ever think of using our own technology against us...

Sabz5150 said:
Once again, the militarization of space is illegal by world treaty. I think the world's attention would quickly focus away from NK if even the slightest hint of us having orbital lasers were to be discovered.

Also, chemical lasers are a bit trickier in the cold of space. Plus you have to look at the simple fact that there is a lot less medium for which to dissipate heat from such a weapon. It would burn up rather fast.

No no no... not space based lasers- plane mounted. The current technology uses a plane the size of a medium sized passenger jet (747 I think), and runs a laser system pretty much down the entire length of the plane. It's capable of hitting the ground.

Calesta said:
No no no... not space based lasers- plane mounted. The current technology uses a plane the size of a medium sized passenger jet (747 I think), and runs a laser system pretty much down the entire length of the plane. It's capable of hitting the ground.
That's a different story, although you still have the fire/recharge rate to deal with. It's not a weapon that can be used to cut a swatch of destruction across a target with a flyby. As a method of missile defense, it's choice. Good range, capable of destroying its target and quick to deploy.

We already have lasers for research purposes that are many, many times more powerful than the weapon you are talking about. Lawrence Livermore has a petawatt laser (yes, 1.25 quadrillion watts) but it only fires for a fraction of a fraction of a second. Mainly because of the mind croggling power consumption and heat generation... plus you'd probably cut through anything from here to the center of the galaxy with a sustained blast. I'd pay to see that :lol::lol::lol:

EDIT: That laser is used for tests involving fast ignition of fusion reactions. In theory, that thing could kickstart a star.

Last edited:
Back