New shoes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
tsw_nur_med_01.JPG

Got them earlier this week... more later. Hopefully will get them mounted today.

-----

Pics of sloooooooow progress... comparison of the 255/40-17 RS-3 on the ground vs the worn out 225/50-16 Fuzion ZRi.

tsw_nur_med_03.JPG

Last edited:
Yup, RS-3s @ 255/40-17 all around.

I was just outside taking wheels off the car though- then realized that the locking lug set I bought from Discount Tire yesterday was NOT a true locking lug set- they're just spline drives. All 20 are identical, and use a standard 6 point spline drive key. That's not security at all to me. I was thinking that I could use the "lock set" on Katie's xB when it comes back from the body shop, but there's no point since she has the same spline drive nuts already. :( Guess I'm waiting until Tuesday night for when my real locks come in from Summit.

Added 255 vs 225 pic. Nothing more until Tuesday/Wednesday.

Nah. I wanted to run 275/40-17 all around, but tire choices kind of suck, and 17x10 wheels in a good offset are hard to find. 265/35-18 was an option, but the overall cost of another $400 for a set of tires and an additional $200-250 for the wheels was just too much too. 255 will have to do. :)

Nope. There are wheels in there too. Hopefully I can get them mounted tonight- storm Hermine has been doing a number with the rain here lately.

Sorry, crappy iSuck pics. No good camera right now. :(

Stock suspension
Stock alignment
Comptech front sway set at 4/5
17x9 +63 all around
255/40-17 all around

Stock setup:

tsw_nur_med_02.jpg

New setup:

tsw_nur_med_28.jpg

tsw_nur_med_29.jpg

Weight of new wheel and tire together:

tsw_nur_med_10.jpg

Front fitment:

tsw_nur_med_20.jpg

Rear fitment:

tsw_nur_med_21.jpg

255/40-17 Hankook RS-3 (right) vs 225/50-16 Fuzion ZRi (left)

tsw_nur_med_04.jpg

tsw_nur_med_03.jpg

255/40-17 Hankook RS-3 (right) vs 245/40-16 Hankook RS-2 (left)

tsw_nur_med_05.jpg

tsw_nur_med_07.jpg

245/45-16 Hankook RS-2 (left) vs 225/50-16 Fuzion ZRi (right)

tsw_nur_med_22.jpg

tsw_nur_med_24.jpg

Weight of stock front 16x6.5 +55 wheel and worn 225/50-16 Fuzion ZRi (40.6 lbs):

tsw_nur_med_25.jpg

Weight of stock rear 16x7.5 +65 wheel and worn 245/45-16 Hankook RS-3 (40.4 lbs):

tsw_nur_med_26.jpg

Empirical "evidence" of grip gain... this was obtained through my Apex'i RSM with the accelerometer (G sensor) mounted on the firewall. It's pretty accurate- more so in my opinion than the ones that just plug into your cigarette lighter and wobble around. The highlighted numbers are the peak measurements since the last reset, large number is current state (taken on sloped driveways, parking lots). Top line is forward/reverse, bottom line is left/right. The only one measurement that I'm putting any weight into is the top line for braking power. I measured by stomping the brake as hard as possible from 80mph to 20mph.

Stock setup with Fuzion ZRi in front and Hankook RS-2 in rear, playing on the way to work Thursday:

tsw_nur_med_18.jpg

Immediately after the RS-3s were installed (not scrubbed in at all yet) and on the way to work today:

tsw_nur_med_27.jpg

0.14G gain! :eek:

After work today, playing with a racer buddy:

tsw_nur_med_30.jpg

No real impressions yet... even though each corner is about 5 pounds heavier, the car feels great. There is a more squishy feeling since the tread is new and at full depth, but the grip is GOOD. The rubber grabs gravel just like my old S-03s did on the Civic, which was a little worrying when I pulled out of the driveway on the way to work today. The sidewalls are pretty compliant, and seem to respond quickly just playing around going from lane to lane at speed.

Need more time to really tell about the tires, but I think I'm going to like them a lot.

Oh, slight rubbing at full lock so far- sounds like rubber on metal, not metal on metal like some others have reported. Will investigate more later, but I think I'll run with 5mm spacers in front after a drop and alignment and probably 10mm spacers in the back, so it won't really be a factor for me.

:)

Back