New to HondaSwap and got some questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Push button start and fuel cut off-Idea

Hey every one I have a 93 civic coupe and I am going to be doing a custom push button start on my car and would like all of your opinions thanks

ok here is what I am going to do---

The button for the push button start is going to be the horn button.
I am going to use a relay on this because of the way the power is delivered through the horn button(neg not pos).I would like to add that you do not have to use a relay when doing push button start but I believe you have to when doing something like this.
I am going to go through the ignition switch harness but I am going to see if I can do it sneakier by going through the back of the fuse panel and it still be as reliable and safe.
Once I have that all installed and the push button starts the car I am going to be hooking it up so the horn will go off if u dont know what you are doing to start it.
I am going to do this also with relay.
It will be going through the seat belt.When the seat belt is latch it will connect the whole setup I did for the push button and when the seat belt is not latched it will make it so only the horn will work and not the starter.
I think I am also going to use the A/C button my fuel cut off.When the button is pushed in the fuel pump will work and when the button is not oviously the pump will not because it will have no power.
I am going to be going through as much of the wiring that is already in the civics wiring harness but only wires that are not being used like the A/C ones since that as been completely removed and only has a few wires left for it and the Relays that I use will be placed so they look stock and I will be using ones that come off of a stock civic so people dont notice them right away.

tell me what you think and if you have any suggestions on where wire this all let me know!!

I have personally made my push button start button my horn button on my stock steering wheel on one of my hatch's and I made it one of the hidden horn buttons on my grant steering wheel and on my last one since I did not have a rear window wiper but I did have the switch for it I hooked it up for that all u had to do was turn the switch like you would to turn on the hatch wiper.
Lies. Stop doing drugs before it's too late. Your ideas are ridiculous IMO. Mount seperate switches in a hidden location. Ghetto rigging your existing wiring is retarded.

I only read part of what you wrote and I say mount a new switch.

I've helped a whole lot of people...

S P A C I N G B E T W E E N S E N T E N C E S
S E E M S TO BE Y O U R K E Y P R O B L E M

PARA

GRAPHS

HELP

ALSO

Lies. Stop doing drugs before it's too late. Your ideas are ridiculous IMO. Mount seperate switches in a hidden location. Ghetto rigging your existing wiring is retarded.
:withstupid: NOT!!!!

whats a lie huh????
I have done push button start through the horn button on my OLD 91 civic hatch but I have not done the seat belt thing yet and just wanted opinions on that and maybe some other ideas.

I am not going to go ghetto and put switchs every where whether they are hidden or not.I dont believe using already existing wires that are not in use by anything and are just taking up space is ghetto at all.

Putting extra wires and switchs every where is ghetto and going to be too easily seen for someone who wants to steal a car.

If you think moddifying your already existing wires is ghetto.Then you must think that when you do a mpfi conversion on a dpfi civic that its cool to add all these extra wires and to not modify the wiring harness for a more stock look.

You know what I am not going to sit here and try and explain myself to you.I know what I am doing and just wanted your opinion not to say I am a liar when you have no idea what you are talking about at all and want to say people are doing drugs because you dont like thier idea's!!!!!!!!!!!

I only read part of what you wrote and I say mount a new switch.

I've helped a whole lot of people...

S P A C I N G B E T W E E N S E N T E N C E S
S E E M S TO BE Y O U R K E Y P R O B L E M

PARA

GRAPHS

HELP

ALSO

haha yeah thats true and I will try alil harder to make my typing easier for all of you to read.
I dont like adding switchs just because of the fact that then a thief can just see it or find the wirng easier.
So any other idea's????

Thanks for not being a dick about my typing...

lot's of people do drugs.....Drugs aren't necassarily bad.

I have to make B's post true.

I read like another half a sentence. Seriously, just get as push button start kit and install it. There's no need for all the extra. And as for using your horn as a push start, you can't pass inspection in any state if your horn isn't functional, IIRC .

Maybe I'm missing part of it but that's cause I didn't read the whole thing.

the horn will still be 100% functional and as of right now my coupes horn was removed but only because the guy I got it from wrecked the front end and it was ruined.

I really only want to do the whole seat belt thing that way when a thief gets in my car and thinks he knows about the push button start yet does not know about the seat belt switch.

He will hit the horn button and instead of the car staring he will have honked the horn instead.

When I did the push button to my old hatch I had people tell me hey man thats stupid bla bla bla and thenwhen it was done they thought it was cool as hell and wanted me to do it to thier cars too.

Plus what does me doing all this have to do with getting my car inspected?

Why would I have to get my car inspected unless I was doing a engine swap and wanted it all set up with highway patrol?

I would like to do that but ha I am not any where near ready for that.

I want to do other upgrades before I do the engine swap.(any recamendations on a good engine?)

I like the B18B block with a b16 head because I really like the LS/V-Tec setup,

Is this typing better or is there too many spaces?????

It's much more readable, I don't understand what you're trying to do though.

CA? I'm pretty sure CA has inspection laws. Don't you have to have your car inspected/emission tested every year or two?

You do know what's involved in LS-Vtec right?

Go LS-T, I loved my LS-T's.

yeah cali has smog but they dont check all of that stuff they just make sure its the correct engine and then no stuff thats not supposed to be on the engine and then do the smog.

what part dont you understand?

I want to go through the horn button to start the car but I also want the horn to work that way if someone who does not know the trick tries to steal the car the horn will go off when they hit the push button start.

Plus what car thief is gonna be wanting to hit the horn button to see if it starts lol

Ok, so you want to use the horn as a push button start as well as a horn, BUT you want the push button only to work with the seatbelt latched? You do realize you won't have a functional horn with your seatbelt latched?

It's a little more complicated then you want it to be... But it's not impossible.

If you want the added security, add another switch. Make the push start only ignite with something a little more reasonable, like when the interior lights go off (i.e. doors closed), when you depress the brake, something slightly more logical then when you latch your seatbelt.

When I lived back east, you have to use your horn, if I had to unbuckle myself everytime I needed to use it I would have been in a good 10-12 accidents by now,

Ok, so you want to use the horn as a push button start as well as a horn, BUT you want the push button only to work with the seatbelt latched? You do realize you won't have a functional horn with your seatbelt latched?

It's a little more complicated then you want it to be... But it's not impossible.

If you want the added security, add another switch. Make the push start only ignite with something a little more reasonable, like when the interior lights go off (i.e. doors closed), when you depress the brake, something slightly more logical then when you latch your seatbelt.

When I lived back east, you have to use your horn, if I had to unbuckle myself everytime I needed to use it I would have been in a good 10-12 accidents by now,

yeah the accident factor is a big deal but I dont use my horn anyway.

but I was also thinking about trying to figure out if I can use the heat fan speed switch on the heater control but like only the number 2 or 3 speed for the switch instead of using the seat belt as the switch.

maybe I will just use the seat belt thing as the fuel cutoff.

I just have to wait for my car to get delivered from my friends house to mine to see if I can do the heater switch Idea.

Do you think its possible that it would work without alot of mods????

I dunno, I never messed with the internals of the HVAC system, that was something I never had a problem with or intent of messing with. The deepest I've gotten there was replacing the bulbs.

ok, i guess i'll have to figure it out and do u guys think its a good idea that i do a write up on a push-button start through the horn and uh maybe the fuel cut off with the seatbelt thing?????

i like the setup you are discribing, very sly if you can pull it off. i know not using a seat belt is irresponsible and illegal, but wont it shit you off having that thing go off all the time? i just pity the poor bloke that you sel the car to. if you dont give him an encyclopedia on how operate it he will be stuck.

i think relays and change over relays are cool things to muck around with, i am thinking of devising a remote start system for my concerto. i have installed a remote imobilizer and hook it up to the c-locking already. the imobilizer has negative pulse lock, negative pulse unlock. rigging two relays up so that the ignition will come on and stay on from an unlock signal isnt to hard. of course i will stil need key to unlock steering. i will then use a change over relay from the lock pulse to remote turn it off, not that hard. the hard part i think will be giving a crank signal for the right amount of time. the pulse from the imob isnt long enough to start her up i dont think, but i havent tried yet. i think its 1.5 secs. when i figure out how to get the right amount of crank time il rig it so that it will only come on with hand brake up and/or out of gear.

i have a diagram i drew on the comp but am not shore how to display, please help?

yeah I dont plan on selling the car but yeah I think I will have to show the person how to do everything but it will be easily explained and easy to use.

I know I can do the seat belt thing but I just have to get my car to my house so I can figure out about the heater switch and the correct wires I need to connect.

If I remember correctly on a 88-91 civic the starter wire you want to connect stuff to in order to do the push button start is either black w/yel stripe or black w/white stripe I cant remember but I am pretty positive its one of the two I said.

So do you think anyone would be interested in me doing a write up on the whole setup I discribed?

if so does anyone know a program where I could draw up the schematics for the wiring?

I will end up using microsoft word for the write up and how to if I do one.

I am going to do a How-To for my setup but I want to know if anyone would be interested in me putting it on here???

I like my setup because its :ph34r: sneaky and clean looking.

about ur diagram I dont really know you already have it written up and thats the hard part lol but try to make it a picture and load it on like photobucket or something that may work

Last edited:
you can easily check which wire you want with a test light, i cant remember off the top of me head either.

i think it would be cool for you to do a write up with pics.

you could use windows paint for pics but this would be time consuming.

do you have any suggestions about my idea for remote start?

ok you are working on trying to find out a way to get the setup to supply power to the starter for a short period of time?

if not let me know I must of misunderstood but if thats it I know there is a device out there somewhere that will turn your car over untill it receives a signal telling it that the engine has started and if I remember correctly it can be shut off by remote too.

I am not sure what its called or even where to get it but when I was working at a car stereo shop in Ventura,Ca I know they were able to get it and I will see if I can reach some of my old co-workers and see if they can tell me how to get one or where...

I am pretty sure u could get one at any real good electronic doo dad store lol

its 11pm here and I know I will be up for another few hours because I am going to try and do some schematics on paper and then on my other comp..

Back