Obama from the eyes of a Soldier

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1 - i don't follow anyone, but i do respect ron paul. who do you respect, if anyone?

2 - i only mentioned ron paul's gtfo stance to show that republicans are even divided on this issue and to provide counterbalance the anti-democratic vibe you were emanating.

3 - i imagine the states would take care of state education, as it should be. the federal government was not intended to be this moneysucking hog that it currently is; it was intended to oversee national business and protect our asses in an international setting. the states were given the rights to govern themselves with the constitution as a governing document which ties the rights of all americans to the country. states could grant further rights but could not limit our rights as americans, set forth in the constitution. where the fuck does it say 'ps gib my kidz a gud educashun too" i'd surely like to know. you don't like the education in your home state, fix it at the state level by participating in local/state government. crybaby.

As much as i disliked most of Ron Pauls platform, this is a part of it that i whole heartedly agreed with.

Show me where in the constitution it says Education will be regulated by the federal government. Because I'm quite sure that 10th amendment would rip the Federal Education Board apart. It still bugs me, not because I didn't get a good education, but so many of those around me didn't. NCLB has completely ruined the US Education system the same way it ruined Texas' in the late 90s, coincidentally causing me to have to pass a test using 5 year old knowledge every year after 7th grade.

I mean, what does it prove if a senior can do division? What does it prove if he can use the geometry taught freshman year, but is never actually asked to prove if he can do the calculus he was supposed to be taught his senior year. Even if he was in calculus he didnt get a lot out of it because he was forced to 'retake' geometry in his calculus class "because it will be on the TAAS" (Texas Assessment of Academic Skills).

I have learned to bow out of political discussion since I'm marrying a republican, but this one hits a little too close to home to let slide.

I mean, what does it prove if a senior can do division? What does it prove if he can use the geometry taught freshman year, but is never actually asked to prove if he can do the calculus he was supposed to be taught his senior year. Even if he was in calculus he didnt get a lot out of it because he was forced to 'retake' geometry in his calculus class "because it will be on the TAAS" (Texas Assessment of Academic Skills).

Here in Washington we have the WASL. Its a freakin joke. Starting with the graduating class of '07, passing the WASL was a graduation requirement. But, like you said, what the hell does it prove if a high school student (a sophomore in the case of the WASL) can solve story problems that are givin to grade school kids? Beyond that, the WASL takes like 2 weeks if I remember right. In that 2 weeks, most of the days are half days, and most regular classes are stopped. So now, were throwin away valuable time to ask high schoolers "If you start with 5 apples..." story problems. Even worse is, we waste equally as much time, if not more, to take a practice WASL. This practice WASL serves no purpose, IMO. It doesnt affect your grade, it doesnt affect the questions on the real WASL, nothing. At best, it numbs your mind enough that you dont mind the real WASL. Dont get me wrong, I think its great that Washington has some of the highest state assesment test scores. Its just too bad that we have to give kids a test that should be givin to children half their age.

its true...thats yet another reason my activity on the forum has been cut down.

see the best laid plans topic.

Last edited:
No. Child. Left. Behind.

NCLB is the number one complaint that I hear from teachers. For lack of better description, it gets in the teacher's way of actually educating the children.

It's a double edged sword... we don't want the gov't to impede the education of children, but we DO want them to interject into issues such as religion in the science class and other attempts to stifle real-deal education in this country.

See that line about a micron wide... walk it :ph34r:

I don't think religion has any place in school, that's what churches are for. Science is what it is, and it needs to be taught without hindrance from religious zealots, and their agenda. If they don't like what is being taught, they can move their kids to a school that teachs creationism.

I don't think religion has any place in school, that's what churches are for. Science is what it is, and it needs to be taught without hindrance from religious zealots, and their agenda. If they don't like what is being taught, they can move their kids to a school that teachs creationism.

Unfortunately there are those in power that do not see it that way. One of them is our current president. Another is our potential vice-president. Others are included in this pack (Gov. Jindal of LA is an excellent example), and they repeatedly stifle scientific education to push a religious agenda.

Back