OBDII 97 EK swap to B18B1 non-vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thank God I found this post on here... I'm about to do a b18b with an ls granny swap on my 97 em hatch..
This weekend. I picked up motor from some kick who was getting rid of it on Craigslist.. pick up the complete swap for only 650.. tranny, wiring harness, ecu, pretty much everything I need to drop it in my ek..

I'm a graphic designer, not much of a mechanic so I have not clue wat I got my self into when I picked up this motor last week.. but I kinda wanted to just make sure that I would be able to put the b18b into my car.. I started looking thru forums just to double check, and thank God I found this post..

I'm about to do the swap this weekend, not realizing that it doesn't bolt right in like the kid said..
So now I'm hunting down all the parts that where mentioned.on here to make this swap happen smoothley. I hope things go well cuz I depend on my Car to get to work every day. Pretty much drive 60 miles a day from one side of town to the other.. I live in Phoenix AZ where its hella hot during the summer.. I I'm trying to find the bracket I need to get my a/c running as well.

The only thing I'm little confused on is the wiring harness issues that I'm going to run into..
Thank God I'm not doing the infallible my self.. lol have some friends doing the whole thing for me.. so i hope I they can pull it off.. but if we do run into some issues ill probably be back on here trying to figure things put if things start going bad.. which I hope doesn't happens... but will...

So wish me luck..

Mad love, for this post U put up bfraley

To help everyone that are looking at this thread about brackets and swap. I hope the OP don't mind.

In an ek swap 96-00. B18b/B18c/b20 driver side post mounts is 3pieces hassport sale those in an ek.

For b16 swaps into an ek. You can use your stock driver and passenger mounts.

Thre rest B16/B18/B20
Get a 99-00 si rear T-bracket, Front tranny bracket at www.majectichonda.com
Also get a p2j for 97 crv bracket for those who wants to keep there a/c. This is where I get my parts for cheap and brand new.

If you want detail info, I guess you can pm the OP or I.

what do i need to put a b18b1 in my 97 civic hx

whats up every one i have a 95 civic hatch and it has a b18b1 in it i cant get the car titled so i want to take the motor out and put it in my 97 civic hx but have no clue what i will need can any one help?

whats up every one i have a 95 civic hatch and it has a b18b1 in it i cant get the car titled so i want to take the motor out and put it in my 97 civic hx but have no clue what i will need can any one help?

Research this post and others in this forum. The info is already there for you.

Emissions Again Already?!?

So, had to pull out my JDM ECU and install the US ECU to prep for my 2 year E check. Well, the rear O2 sensor code was hard and fast. I pulled my rear O2 setup and found a bunch of debris rattling inside my $32 O2 sensor and a corroded/broken wire on the connector. I picked up a universal Bosch sensor PN-15733, $66 at NAPA, and built a new extended harness. I soldered and heatshrinked all connections up to the main harness connection. I'm still running a high flow cat and my US ECU has mods, described earlier in this thread, to ensure compatability with the JDM B18b1. I'm still using NAPA 5/8" plug non foulers to extend the O2 sensor from the back of the cat which keeps the CEL good....at least long enough to pass E check. Wish me luck on my E check. I'll be praying for a pass the first time round.

My hatch now has 249,000 miles on it and my B18b1 has ~ 170,000 miles. Still runs strong and tows great. Still lots of fun on the MASSpike and with the Si tranny I don't have to shift to 4th to get to passing speed but it is more fun that way ;-)

That's awesome! Glad to hear the car is still running great. That sucks that you have to deal with emissions in Mass, but it sounds like you have a good way around it. How does the mileage compare between the two trannies you have had?

That's awesome! Glad to hear the car is still running great. That sucks that you have to deal with emissions in Mass, but it sounds like you have a good way around it. How does the mileage compare between the two trannies you have had?

Mileage dropped 2-3 mpg max. That's with me running 80mph on the MASSpike. The big change was mpg while towing. That really dropped about 5-6mpg, but I have tons of torque now. It's a trade-off.I passed E-check first time through and I had 0 pending issues! Onward for another 2 years.

Hey I want to thank you for this fantastic thread. I am doing a similar swap only with USDM B18B1 into a 96 LX Sedan with a D16Y7. From what I've found this seems to sum everything up I think the differences for me is the wiring harness mostly. I hope my swap goes as smoothly as yours. 2 thumbs up!

Hey I want to thank you for this fantastic thread. I am doing a similar swap only with USDM B18B1 into a 96 LX Sedan with a D16Y7. From what I've found this seems to sum everything up I think the differences for me is the wiring harness mostly. I hope my swap goes as smoothly as yours. 2 thumbs up!

Your welcome! The B18b1 is a great little motor that really makes the Civic scoot. Without Vtec to mess with your swap will be pretty easy. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

Time to freshen up the B18!

The JDM B18 is getting up there in mileage now. Estimated 180,000 miles. Still going strong but going through a touch of oil now and then. Instead of ordering a B18b1 JDM long block for a replacement I've decided to have a good core B18b1 rebuilt to drop in old faithful's place. As I was researching I found I could buy Honda OEM ITR pistons(81.25mm).010 over for $40 less than the original OEM LS pistons. That started me thinking...is it possible to add more HP/torque to my normally aspirated(NA)B18b1 build yet keep reliability and economy at a plus? Well I pushed on with the research and I can tell you the race and VTEC purists were hammering me over my quest. I came up with the following possible additions:-Add ITR pistons increasing compression from 9.2:1 to 11.1:1. I have to have 1mm total machined off each side of the LS stock rod...or so I'm told.-Now to deal with turning the extra compression to useable torque I can install Crower 403 cams. Not sure I want to do this as it adds the extra power to a mid rpm range and possibly reduces my low rpm range torque. One suggestion was to stay with stock LS cams and install adjustable cam gears for more flexibility but keeping the torque where LSers love it...low rpms. -Install a Hondata S300 with full tune to calibrate it all.Not related to the engine, I am also going to change out my Si tranny 5th gear with an LS tranny 5th gear to increase my highway commuter economy. I'll have great pull for towing through 1-4 gears and gas savings in 5th. Estimates from multiple sources is a power increase of 25-30hp with great economy! If anyone out there is already running a similar setup please let me know how you like it. I'm not a racer but the LS is still a kick to drive.

If it were me: (and I am assuming that you still plan on racking the miles up)

Shoot for 10:1 compression (p72 pistons?) and swap over a vtec head. The biggest limiting factor to making power on that motor is head flow, not compression. 11:1 compression is high. Especially when coupled with a poor flowing cyliner head, and a stock cam profile designed for low end power. The stock b18 cams don't have a whole lot of overlap, meaning your dynamic compression will be high at all times. This can cause reduced piston ring life.

With my proposed setup, you can offset some of the cost of the vtec head by running on a stock P72 ecu instead of an expensive S300.

B18 refresh strategy change

After considerable research,self debate(talking to myself) and a solid reality check I've decided to keep the new B18 stock as stock is. Couple of prevailing reasons: decrease in reliability and longevity of the engine from additional power changes, amount of time I have to spend in Ohio to get the car on the road after new motor install for drive back home to CT and the current setup actually meets my needs....I want more power but sometimes more does not mean better. So I am focusing on the areas of the car that would make it more reliable. Stock B18b1 rebuild(.010 over), Change Si tranny 5th gear to LS 5th gear ratio, and I've been wanting to put bigger brakes on the front due to brake fade when I tow my sound system 4x7 thule trailer and the teardrop camper(has electric brakes). So with the new focus I am looking for a budget front brake upgrade. It looks like the 11 inch brake mod may be the choice. I priced integra LS knuckles at $60 each. I need 96 prelude VTEC rotors drilled to 4x100. Finally brake calipers??? still researching. There's a lot of misinformation out there and this brake mod is not a done deal.

b18b1 / 97 civic ex

i'm a complete noob.

i've got a 97 civic ex stock motor right now,

and a b18b1 motor in my garage floor, no trans, no axles, no ecu, no harness.

go slow. what do i need to make this happen?

text me if anyone can help, Eric 732-343-3542

Eric,

As you can tell from my thread I did months of research and parts hunting before I actually performed the swap. Everything you need is in this thread. I suggest reading it thoroughly and taking notes as you go. There are no surprises in this swap that can not be overcome. Thanks for serving our country!!

UPDATE!! The more things change, the more they remain the same :) Well, my machinist has cancer and I was able to visit him recently and there was a fairly large backlog of engine work. I've decided to just buy another JDM B18b motor and install. I bought one from JDMSource in Calgary,Canada. I should get it by the end of this month or the beginning of April. It has 38,000 miles on it and I'm waiting for a compression check video on my motor they email out. So, after research I'm doing the following to keep the Civic strong and on the road: New B18b motor, keeping the Civic Si 5speed but changing 5th gear to LS ratio for highway fuel economy and freshen up springs/struts(~140,000 miles since last ones were installed in 2008). It's an evolving masterpiece.

UPDATE!! The more things change, the more they remain the same :) Well, my machinist has cancer and I was able to visit him recently and there was a fairly large backlog of engine work. I've decided to just buy another JDM B18b motor and install. I bought one from JDMSource in Calgary,Canada. I should get it by the end of this month or the beginning of April. It has 38,000 miles on it and I'm waiting for a compression check video on my motor they email out. So, after research I'm doing the following to keep the Civic strong and on the road: New B18b motor, keeping the Civic Si 5speed but changing 5th gear to LS ratio for highway fuel economy and freshen up springs/struts(~140,000 miles since last ones were installed in 2008). It's an evolving masterpiece.

The fresh B18b just arrived and I'll be inspecting it to find out what I need to get it ready for the trip to my brother's place in Ohio. Right now I only have plans to change timing belt/tension pulley/water pump and adjust valves before the install. I made an appt with slowmotion motorsports in Ohio to swap the Civic Si tranny 5th gear with an LS tranny 5th gear. They will also go through the tranny and replace the high wear bearings. Looks like a 4 hour or so job.

Update: Ordered Ground Control coilovers today. These should take care of my sagging tow issue. front 315lb/in springs and rear 250lb/in springs with Koni sports(yellow). Looking forward to getting them on.

Back