*Official* Gym and Diet thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i misread your diet plans. they make more sense after re-reading them. as far as a post workout, pure whey is going to be your best bet. and maybe grab a tub of casein, that is best right before bed.. try to get whey in your system within 2 hours of your workout (after)
thanks, any specific brand you would recommend? or just whatever? do any grocery stores even carry it? i see walmart has like 2lb jugs, but probably more economical to get a bigger one, like 5-10lbs. or will i have to go to like GNC or something for that?

thanks, any specific brand you would recommend? or just whatever? do any grocery stores even carry it? i see walmart has like 2lb jugs, but probably more economical to get a bigger one, like 5-10lbs. or will i have to go to like GNC or something for that?

I buy all my whey from Sams Club, it's 27 bucks for I think a 5lb bag yes it says 6 in the picture but I think sams is 5.

EAS-powder-chocolate.jpg

GNC = $$$ plus they try to sell you everything in the store. Go in for one thing, leave with 5 others. Really annoying even more so when the pros are sticks.

dont have a membership there :( prefer a regular store. so brand doesnt really matter much then? at least from a results standpoint (im sure taste varies some)

Optimum Nutrition. Gold Standard Whey. Buy it on Amazon. And get the pack with casein for before bed.

And start eating. I've gained 29 lbs to the T since september and I've had to eat like 4-5k a day everyday since just to get here. I'm not built for size so its real hard.

Brand does matter in the sense of what types of protein and how well it taste/mixes

For the most part all major brands are going to be up to par, mixing is the kicker. For me I put 2 scoops of protein and then fill the rest of the glass up with milk, I stir it using a fork making sure to scrap down the sides, then I put it in the fridge and let it sit while I work out, when I come out I find that it's nice and smooth, very well mixed. If you mix it and drink it right away it will be all funky.

Brand does matter in the sense of what types of protein and how well it taste/mixes

For the most part all major brands are going to be up to par, mixing is the kicker. For me I put 2 scoops of protein and then fill the rest of the glass up with milk, I stir it using a fork making sure to scrap down the sides, then I put it in the fridge and let it sit while I work out, when I come out I find that it's nice and smooth, very well mixed. If you mix it and drink it right away it will be all funky.

This is how I know you're anal.

Who the fuck mixes a protein shake then puts it in the fridge to cool it off?

This is how I know you're anal.

Who the fuck mixes a protein shake then puts it in the fridge to cool it off?

Has nothing to do with cooling off. It makes for a very smooth zero grit protein drink. If you mix it right away using a spoon/fork then drink it, that shit sticks to your teeth.

Even if I'm in a hurry I let it sit for at least 5 minutes to allow all the crap to dissolve it even adds a nice little foamyness to it lol.

Has nothing to do with letting it cool off. I've been doing protein drinks for 10 + years. I've got the way I like it down. =)

milk + chocolate optimum + a1 shaker cup = win for me. i do get what you mean about letting it stand for a few though.. i still get chunks from time to time though optimum mixes VERY well

Has nothing to do with cooling off. It makes for a very smooth zero grit protein drink. If you mix it right away using a spoon/fork then drink it, that shit sticks to your teeth.

Even if I'm in a hurry I let it sit for at least 5 minutes to allow all the crap to dissolve it even adds a nice little foamyness to it lol.

Has nothing to do with letting it cool off. I've been doing protein drinks for 10 + years. I've got the way I like it down. =)

I use a shaker with the ball in it. And water. And its smooth and creamy tastey goodness and I get the same foam. I can't use milk because of the lactose intolerance.

And yes protein brands are better than others. Consumer Reports y0.

you want to slow your metabolism DOWN. You need to pig out 3 times a day... 2 ginormous meals is even better (but often not logical). If you eat a little bit all day, you won't slow it down at all. Thats how you speed it up.

If you want some of my 'mass', pay for the operation and it's yours :D

I'm in the exact opposite group here. I have the mass. it's easy as hell for me to gain size. Just from shoveling the past few days i have a TON more definition in my arms and chest. lol
of course, it's burried behind fat. but hey, the core is there.

me, i need cardio, to eat more often and smaller portions, and that's about it. I put on a good 20 lbs since i quit smoking, so now isntead of getting cancer, i'm going to have a heart attack. lol

I buy all my whey from Sams Club, it's 27 bucks for I think a 5lb bag yes it says 6 in the picture but I think sams is 5.

EAS-powder-chocolate.jpg

GNC = $$$ plus they try to sell you everything in the store. Go in for one thing, leave with 5 others. Really annoying even more so when the pros are sticks.

I HATE this stuff. Srry maybe its just me but this protien makes my stomache queezy after I take it. My friends all like it however.

I only use ON brand whey and casein... i used to buy glutamine powder and bcca powder, but that stuff is a waste of money. Also, I used to take noexplode and superpump in the mornings before working out, but for the past 3 months i have also ditched the pre-workout crap as well.

Just take regular protien and multivitamins. All the other crap is worthless and can damage your liver.

btw im up another 5lbs this month.

Last edited:
5lbs in a month is damn good gains.. im hoping to be at least 180lbs before i start my cut for summer. btw, was looking for some tips on cutting since ive never done it too aggressively.
im looking to lose ~10lbs of body fat (have a little, mostly concentrated around my waist/lower back) before summer hits.

im planning on starting in the beginning of march, and ending when i feel that ive achieved my ideal look.

i know to cut cals, eat smaller meals spread out during the day. my main issue is avoiding a catabolic state. i dont want to be losing a bunch of muscle mass. i was thinking of replacing my regular whey shakes with some casein shakes to avoid this. would this be a decent strategy to avoid such a situation?

also, the only thing ill be changing with my workout is the addition of cardio 3 days a week. all im going to be doing is walking on the treadmill.

im 6'0 and about 165-170. fairly skinny but have a little gut and love handles SLOWLY increasing. i havent worked out in forever and probably have the worst diet you can imagine (fast food, frozen pizzas, beer, etc, college lifestyle lol).

i decided to download P90X and my and my gf started it. i was initially a little peeved cause all the commercials i had seen all say you only need some basic hand weights, but they have all kinds of crazy shit in the videos like pull up bars and workout bands, etc. i dont have a whole gym at my disposal, but i may look into one of those pull up bars that attaches to your door.

any way we started this week. i could only do about half of the first vid because i didnt have a pull up bar, and i still got wrecked lol. then the ab workout is pretty intense. 2nd day i could only make it through like half the "plyometrics" workout (intense cardio, lots of squatting and jumping and shit) and my legs just felt like jello. and like you said, im sore as fuck today so i took a day off. but i plan to try and keep up with it and slowly try to do more and more of the workouts until i can do the whole thing. i may just need to pace myself more so i can last the whole workout rather than burning out early. and the guy in the vids is a total tool lol. me and my gf literally crack up at the cheesy shit he says.

we also arent really following the diet guide. just doing the workouts and trying to eat more healthy. less fast food, and more fruits/veggies and more "real" food. im probably going to pickup the P90X "after workout drink mix" or whatever they call it. sounds like a mix between a protein drink and gatorade from how they described it lol. unless someone can suggest a good reason for NOT using the p90x stuff and using something else.

goals, just try to get in better shape without sacrificing TOO much diet-wise. i need the added exercise, thats a given. i sit on my ass 12hrs/day at work (4days on 4 off). i cant imagine that doing the workouts and eating more healthy that i wont see any results. im not after MAX results, just something better. not trying to be an OCD body builder calculating my every calorie or anything lol.

sorry for wall-o-text lol

You and your girlfriend should try Crossfit. :D I absolutely LOVE it. I thought about doing the P90X or Insanity dvd's but I knew I wouldn't have the self motivation to keep doing it. I joined my local crossfit affiliate last March and have been addicted ever since!

5lbs in a month is damn good gains.. im hoping to be at least 180lbs before i start my cut for summer. btw, was looking for some tips on cutting since ive never done it too aggressively.
im looking to lose ~10lbs of body fat (have a little, mostly concentrated around my waist/lower back) before summer hits.

im planning on starting in the beginning of march, and ending when i feel that ive achieved my ideal look.

i know to cut cals, eat smaller meals spread out during the day. my main issue is avoiding a catabolic state. i dont want to be losing a bunch of muscle mass. i was thinking of replacing my regular whey shakes with some casein shakes to avoid this. would this be a decent strategy to avoid such a situation?

also, the only thing ill be changing with my workout is the addition of cardio 3 days a week. all im going to be doing is walking on the treadmill.

Your going to feel lousy if you drink protein shakes all day during the day.

Eat healthy and make sure your workouts are diverse. Get on the treadmill and do wind sprints (2 min) followed by a 1min moderate walk... keep this up for 20 minutes. Then do abs. Do this every day and you WILL lose weight.

Avoid eating large meal before bed. Go to bed feeling just hungry enough for a small snack.

brutal, thanks for the suggestions. i really didnt think fruits were that bad, what is an example of "starchy" foods?

Oh, don't get me wrong, fruits aren't bad. A lot of them are great sources of vitamins. I'm just saying that they naturally contain more sugar than a lot of the other foods we eat during a typical day, so it's best to eat your fruits at breakfast, lunch, or for snacks earlier in the day as opposed to at dinner or for late-night snacking. Your body can metabolize and use the sugar better earlier in the day.

But like I said, it's not really that big of a deal. An apple at 9pm is still much better for you then a soda.

As for starches, I'm meaning stuff like bread, potatoes, cereal, chips, crackers, pasta, etc. Stuff made from wheat and grain. Like I said, you need some of it, but don't go overboard because a lot of it contains bad carbs. Once again, better to eat it earlier in the day, and if it's whole grain, that's even better. Whole grain is harder for your body to digest, hence more calories burned.

It's really good to eat a lot of veggies. Veggies are far lower in calories and carbs then starchy foods, so you hurt yourself a lot less (barely at all really) by going overboard with veggies as opposed to pasta or bread or something like that.

These are just some guidelines that I try to go by, and it seems to help me. I lost 55 lbs ending 9 months ago, and I haven't gained anything back since...

Your going to feel lousy if you drink protein shakes all day during the day.

Eat healthy and make sure your workouts are diverse. Get on the treadmill and do wind sprints (2 min) followed by a 1min moderate walk... keep this up for 20 minutes. Then do abs. Do this every day and you WILL lose weight.

Avoid eating large meal before bed. Go to bed feeling just hungry enough for a small snack.

thanks for the tips, im actually excited to cut now that i have some mass lol

No problem. Exercise is not complicated. The simplest suggestions are always the best and there is no substitute for old fashion hard work. This is why the dumbest people are able to get into the best shape.

I'm still doing an hour of cardio(30running/30bike) 5x a week. I haven't tried my P90X yet. I'm broke and still need weights and a pull up bar.

Not even sure I want to do it. I think I want to start training for a triathlon. I'm not sure. Maybe I can do both.

The thing I really need to change is my diet. I don't eat bad, but I tend to over eat. I was looking into Atkins. By counting net carbs I would also be aware of everything I'm eating. Plus, I'm hypoglycemic. A low carb/low GI diet is really what I should be doing anyway. Level out my blood sugar rather than the roller coaster I do now.

I'm going to talk to my friend Matt about my goals and ask what I should be doing to get there. He has a degree in health and exercise science and actually is an extremely expensive personal trainer these days.

I think you will realize if you start training for a triathlon how not difficult they are to compete, but for times they're hard.

It's all about the Ironman. I have a few friends that do that stuff, and its seriously legit.

Back