Propane with Nitrous

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Excuse me, nitrous does not burn hot, however it makes the car run lean, raising engine tempatures. To be done safely requires fuel management, pair with propane that sucker is going to get hot. make sure you have plently of fuel moving through there.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Nov 13 2004, 01:08 PM
Excuse me, nitrous does not burn hot, however it makes the car run lean, raising engine tempatures. To be done safely requires fuel management, pair with propane that sucker is going to get hot. make sure you have plently of fuel moving through there.
[post=416383]Quoted post[/post]​

For Fuel I have a 190lph Fuel Pump.. Aem Fuel Rail along with FPR.. I have a set of 390's that I can put in or else if needed I also have a set of 450's to go in.. And Engine Management will be done with my Vafc.. I KID I KID!!.. We will be doing Uberdata on the new setup..

my friends dad owns a shop and of the used dealer calls him and says he can have this nitrous kit they took off a nsx to sell, and he was running the propane setup instead of spraying regualr fuel in, also had a 105shot jet in there for the nitrous, i would also liek to learn more about this.

dont do it ...... there are a few reasons if your ganna run a big shot you just need uber data and a strong block .. and the 12.1 compression is fine.. nitrous loves compression .. the propane doesnt ... thats why alot of diesiels use propane is becouse its easy to control with there low compression ... when runin anything above 11.5:1 compression with a high shot you need to tune it first with a lower shot and upgrade.. there is NO room for error ive heard of people blowing there motor first time on the dyno with a 125 shot and he had only tuned it na then he set his air fuel ... and completly fuct himself and he detonated like a mother fucker.. and pop ... no more piston number 1 !!!

Originally posted by sohcbuilder@Nov 13 2004, 06:08 PM
dont do it ...... there are a few reasons if your ganna run a big shot you just need uber data and a strong block .. and the 12.1 compression is fine.. nitrous loves compression .. the propane doesnt ... thats why alot of diesiels use propane is becouse its easy to control with there low compression ... when runin anything above 11.5:1 compression with a high shot you need to tune it first with a lower shot and upgrade.. there is NO room for error ive heard of people blowing there motor first time on the dyno with a 125 shot and he had only tuned it na then he set his air fuel ... and completly fuct himself and he detonated like a mother fucker.. and pop ... no more piston number 1 !!!
[post=416482]Quoted post[/post]​

dude do you have any idea what your talking about? Deisels run solely on compression so what the fuck would make u think they have low compression????? I dont know where u get your info but most diesels run 15:1 compression and up. <_<

Originally posted by driver1@Nov 13 2004, 03:56 PM
dude do you have any idea what your talking about? Deisels run solely on compression so what the fuck would make u think they have low compression????? I dont know where u get your info but most diesels run 15:1 compression and up. <_<
[post=416499]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup, haven't you ever heard of people using deisel compression testers to test their high comp setups

Originally posted by BseriesKllR@Nov 13 2004, 01:11 PM
my friends dad owns a shop and of the used dealer calls him and says he can have this nitrous kit they took off a nsx to sell, and he was running the propane setup instead of spraying regualr fuel in, also had a 105shot jet in there for the nitrous, i would also liek to learn more about this.
[post=416464]Quoted post[/post]​

Please consider revising this.

haha what the hell is going on in this thread.

1.) Nitrous doesn't burn at all. It breaks down and releases oxygen and nitrogen.
2.) Diesel engines have insanely high compression. Thats why they work.
3.) Propane does burn hot. You check check your nice backyard grill for evidence of this.
4.) Nitrous all together is probably one of the most unpredictable and hard to control upgrades you can perform. It is almost impossible to adjust engine conditions for it instantaneously, beause the oxygen gets added in the cylinder - not the intake pipe. Nitrous to me is nothing but something you do to dick around on an engine you don't care about. In Hondas, anyways. I will never reccomend it to someone who wants to keep their engine.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Nov 13 2004, 07:13 PM
haha what the hell is going on in this thread.

1.) Nitrous doesn't burn at all. It breaks down and releases oxygen and nitrogen.
2.) Diesel engines have insanely high compression. Thats why they work.
3.) Propane does burn hot. You check check your nice backyard grill for evidence of this.
4.) Nitrous all together is probably one of the most unpredictable and hard to control upgrades you can perform. It is almost impossible to adjust engine conditions for it instantaneously, beause the oxygen gets added in the cylinder - not the intake pipe. Nitrous to me is nothing but something you do to dick around on an engine you don't care about. In Hondas, anyways. I will never reccomend it to someone who wants to keep their engine.
[post=416519]Quoted post[/post]​

all true except the last part i have had engines run for a damn long time on no2
if you start small and work up you can keep it safe as you go

Compared to gasoline, propane does not burn hot at all. I drive an LPG forklift indoors and outdoors, the direct exhaust temps are no more than 85*.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Nov 13 2004, 08:13 PM
Nitrous to me is nothing but something you do to dick around on an engine you don't care about. In Hondas, anyways. I will never reccomend it to someone who wants to keep their engine.
[post=416519]Quoted post[/post]​

All valid (and already covered) points except for this one point. Reading the whole thread before answering is a great start!

If the car is tuned properly, with the right supporting equipment, there are zero reasons why a nitrous setup is not 100% as reliable as any other forced induction setup. Way OT here, just thought I should clarify.

Yeah. It's just a personal opinion. I wouldn't put nitrous in a car unless it was the very last thing left, and I wouldn't reccomend nitrous to anyone who wants to keep their motor. Especially when people don't know what they are getting into, and they don't have big budgets.

Also, I think propane engines must operate differently than a gas engine (to stay that cool). I say this because propane has an ignition temperature of greater than 900 degrees, while gasoline has an ignition temperature of only about 400 degrees.

Ignition temperature has very little to do with heat content in the dE. I might have to crack open my thermo book, but I think it is a inverse correlation.

Originally posted by [Freemantle]@Nov 15 2004, 11:42 AM
Ignition temperature has very little to do with heat content in the dE. I might have to crack open my thermo book, but I think it is a inverse correlation.
[post=417033]Quoted post[/post]​

Thankyou, and not to mention, ignition temperature changes when you start compressing things. A normal, gasoline engine can be converted to propane quite easily. The only changes are in the fuel delivery system, everything else works just fine with LPG. Anyways, like I said before, who knows about propane and gasoline....... :blink:

well you look at a 2:1 relationship at atmo pressure, I would have just thought that the trend would continue. I don't know. I'm a computer engineer, I don't even take thermodynamics.

There is also a big difference since liquid propane super cools things, and liquid gasoline is at room temp.

I don't see how you can easily interchange the two in an engine. But like I said, I don't really know

wow, this is a fun thread.

running a gas motor off of propane shouldn't be that hard. Like said, I use a forklift with LPG, and it has a run of the mill mazda engine. It has a distributor and spark plugs just like a normal engine. The biggest problem I could see would be the fuel storage, since it is pressurized.

At my shop, as well as in buildings all around my cities' jurisdiction, we have plenty of propane powered engines. The generator at our shop fires up when the power goes out. Propane powered Ford 460. Works beautiful.

I don't know shit about nitrous besides what I've read, and I don't know how to tune a propane engine. Propane works flawlessly on gas engines. The oil even looks clean after a shitload of use. The only tip I can give you is to change the oil at normal intervals even if the oil looks clean. It becomes more and more acidic as time goes on from use with the propane.

oh, just for fun...........try this.

turn off the gasoline supply to a normal four stroke engine. Use a propane torch, *UNLIT*, to push a little propane into the main bore of the carb. Fire up the engine. The engine will run on the propane going into the carb, with no gas.

It's one of our troubleshooting tools if we suspect a small motor isn't getting fuel.

Back