Remember when ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the blue button on the brake lever is a drifters knob. you push it in and turn to lock it so you don't have to push it in everytime you yank up the handle. dori style. in the past i just wrapped the button up with masking tape :lol:

negative cap'n. it does not twist and lock. you remoe the spring that controls the rachet lever. the knob keeps the rachet mechanism from catching. if you push the knob out ward while engaging the e-brake, it ratchets and locks. you dont spin lock anything.

The Corolla is "Rat Rod". Nothing more.

I like it. Only shame is that it's a coupe, and not the hatch. But hey, they aren't making any more of these.

why do you like the hatch? just a question for discussion.

shoob and I both prefer coupes (both have owned both) coupes not only do coupes have more BA rear interior (when gt-s) , but much nowhere near as much chassis flex with a coupe

he's right here. simply because the coupe has a metal "web" that goes behind the back seat tying both c pillars, and shock mounts together, along with an additional cross webbing from left to right on the car, vs' the hatches open cabin from fire wall to rear bumper. meaning the coupe has the extra web between the firewall and trunk space.

Chassis flex lol.

What suspension, wheels and tire setup did you run that allowed you to notice the chassis flex?

my red 20v coupe actually had trd 8kg front springs, and 6.5kg rear springs, white line 24mm front sway bar, 20mm rear sway bar, tokico blues, NCRA's, poly bushings through out, battle version upper pillow ball mounts, and spherical tension rod bearings, on 15x8 watanabes, on 215 50 yokohamas, and would pull a certifiable 1.04 g's on the skid pad.

the hatch in question had the same setup, spring and shock wise, but was on 14x7's with 195-50's with the addition of front upper strut brace, and it had tons more "gushy-ness", before the point of losing traction. however, the hatch in question was also an sr5 car converted to gts, which gts oem had more body ridgity bracing, than the sr5.

Epic-facepalm.jpg

i was thinking more along the lines of a rectal cranial inversion, but this works too.

well I guess I spoke out of term then ? hatches are much more squeaky , you hear the dash move and flex when you are hammering corners , never felt it, just hear everything flexing when cornering , assuming chassis flex ?

sr5 vs. gts

it was that one time, or the second time, that they decided to just completely get rid of the strut assemblies and just welded in a metal rod. nice and firm. that way, they could feel everything and not have to worry about suspension travel whilst pulling jdm g force (its different than american g's)

as far as tires, they filled them up with fix a flat. no air, no flats. nice and firm.

isnt this what the ef guys are doing these days to lay pinch weld, then grind them off on the road surface?

gotta be talking to you, dilfuck.

whilst this car is an ebay built car, please spare question in ignorance in me, building a quality capable machine......on my end. like i said this car was purpose budget built, and just happen to start making noise in its scene.

Last edited:
why do you like the hatch? just a question for discussion.

Hatchbacks are a matter of availability (Makes me want one more) and styling. I happen to simply like the looks of a 2 door liftback. Well, I mean to say that I hate the looks of a trunk. The only thing my car is missing is a low roof-line hatch. But manufacturers tend to stay away from them for the same reason you're talking about.. and I'm talking about next.

You shouldn't be experiencing flex with a stock hatchback. Something is wrong.

Fix it.

Squeaking is indicative of a problem. That can be tightened, lubricated or in the case of a track-worthy car - reinforced. I've driven a TON of early-model Toyotas in liftback form - many with well over 200k miles on them. They are fine.

Those supports behind the rear seats above the rear axle don't do that much. My experience: 1982-83 200SX hatch,coupe and convertible. 1978-81 Celica coupe, hatch and convertible (Although in those cars, I DO like the looks of the coupe more) 84-91 Subarus in 4 door, wagon, brat, and RX (2 door hatch).

Only my 88 RX-7 gave me squeaks, and that rear glass is a mess of a design.

negative cap'n. it does not twist and lock. you remoe the spring that controls the rachet lever. the knob keeps the rachet mechanism from catching. if you push the knob out ward while engaging the e-brake, it ratchets and locks. you dont spin lock anything.

thanks for the correction. was different in my 240sx. my setup kept the spring so you could use it as a normal e-brake.

Are you guys actually debating over the reason a fucking 1980's TOYOTA COROLLA has a buncha squeaks and rattles?!?!?!?!

Hatchbacks are a matter of availability (Makes me want one more) and styling. I happen to simply like the looks of a 2 door liftback. Well, I mean to say that I hate the looks of a trunk. The only thing my car is missing is a low roof-line hatch. But manufacturers tend to stay away from them for the same reason you're talking about.. and I'm talking about next.

Fix it.

Squeaking is indicative of a problem. That can be tightened, lubricated or in the case of a track-worthy car - reinforced. I've driven a TON of early-model Toyotas in liftback form - many with well over 200k miles on them. They are fine.

Those supports behind the rear seats above the rear axle don't do that much. My experience: 1982-83 200SX hatch,coupe and convertible. 1978-81 Celica coupe, hatch and convertible (Although in those cars, I DO like the looks of the coupe more) 84-91 Subarus in 4 door, wagon, brat, and RX (2 door hatch).

IIRC there were more hatches sent to the east coast then coupes

Fix it.

hatch vs. coupe in the 86 world, coupe is stiffer. hatch has more of an old school feel, and tons more room.

hatch is more popular, just because initial d . . . . . if I see a panda 86 hatch in person, id kick them in the balls

hatch vs. coupe in the 86 world, coupe is stiffer. hatch has more of an old school feel, and tons more room.

I beg to differ on the tons more room deal, maybe head room in the rear, but other than that not really any more cubic ft space, I dont sit in the back anyways, fuckkit

I think it's just funny I never got a real honest reply to the gauntlet I tossed down.

I beg to differ on the tons more room deal, maybe head room in the rear, but other than that not really any more cubic ft space, I dont sit in the back anyways, fuckkit

try putting an ae86 hood in your coupe trunk. shit dont work, you can carry a hood in the hatch.

why would you mount your intercooler laterally in a place completely blocked by the hood? And why would you run such needlessly long lines to the trans cooler? Just mount it on the left. I like the one black pipe connector, and the birdsnest vacuum harness. The adjustable cam gears set to 0 advance are a nice touch.

next your gonna tell me, i do this wrong too?

378765_358338214180608_51025988_n.jpg

377033_358339070847189_958216951_n.jpg

380449_325282494152847_1726366696_n.jpg

317818_325281257486304_1498104823_n.jpg

381323_322160341131729_1733441800_n.jpg

319587_293540433993720_667027102_n.jpg

308703_293532010661229_1091292171_n.jpg

theres only 2 pictures above of a finished product, can you tell me which ones?

that little message you posted to my wall really means nothing. theres many things school isnt gonna teach you, especially a generic automotive school, or ASE class. after basics 101, take fluid dynamics, then go work for a few teams, or a specific local builder for your local dirt track, or sanctioned racing. experiance is more than a class and a piece of paper man. im not coming out as an ass on a high horse but its evident your still young, and have quite a bit of things to learn, especially before you start attacking something that you really have zero true knowledge of. i was just using this as one example, also compiled with the ones above. this post.

Last edited:
if they can afford OS giken then the engine is kind of expendable

Taka ran this same engine in his formula d car for 4 years.... to give you an idea, hes a self funded, grassroots dude in a national drift circuit, and a minuscule 40% sponsor endorsement from megan racing. you can bet your ass megan racing isnt paying the $60k for that engine.

btw, the OS giken trans is an FC3S turbo 2 RX7 trans, lol....ive had to help him change a few out. OS giken is who manufactured them for mazda, back in the FC days.

his wife, yoshi took this pic earlier this year. thats me and my son working in the pits with him at FD atl. bout the only time i get to hang out with him anymore.

the hasselgren pic is from the same car seen here, just a different paint scheme. hes now running a different engine too, a very well built 2az.

new 2az:
featured-article-4.jpg

old:
IMG_0002-taka-aono-ae86-copy.jpg

older: (before megan sponsoring)
one9_2gBr_5.jpg

2013:
IMG_1137-formula-drift-2013-streets-of-long-beach-taka-aono-megan-racing-lifeblasters-hankook-tire-ae86-2az-hasselgren-copy.jpg

yoshi:
images

Last edited:
So much fail, all in one little compact 8-page package...

Back