steerin wheel vibration - axles?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EFDX

My '90 DX h/b has a steering wheel vibration most noticeable at 90-110kph (54-66mph), but when im on a long bend in the highway it dissapears halfway through the bend only to return when im going straight again.
ive recently installed machined rotors, 4 ball joints, right lca shock fork bushing, front end engine mount, all of which needed doing ive aslo tried 3 sets of ballanced wheels/good tires since the vibration started. none of the above has had an affect on the vibration. im beginning to think its one or both axles.
Has anyone had axles create a steering wheel vibration? Any other ideas?

perhaps you just have a bent rim do a rotation and see if that makes a difference, or jack your car up put it into 1st and let the wheels spin BLOCK YOUR BACK WHEELS FRONT AND BACK AND USE JACK STANDS look for wheel hop(the tire itself being out of round) and look for any variations in the rim

The only thing I can think of thats left being you replaced all four ball joints AND you've done 3 different sets of wheels and tires and nothing changed at all, is possibly a bad either inner or outer tie rod. I've never personally heard or seen a case of bad cv joints.

Give me some more details. How long of a highway bend are we talking about here? Is it like an 1/8th of a mile long? Longer? Shorter?

How bad is it the vibration from a scale of 1-10? 10 being the worst as if your hand is being knocked around hardcore back and forth from left to right. The more I think about it, the more it sounds like tie rods some where.

The axles sometimes have a rubber 'doughnut' along the shaft for balacing, but if the axle is 'out' it will shake under acceleration and go away when you let off.
There could be a couple things.
Bent hub mounting flange that the rotor mounts to.
Bent rim.
Jack it up, grab rim at 3-6, wiggle it. If it moves slightly it's tie-rods. Grab at 12-6, wiggle, movement? balljoints..

Did you get it aligned after all that work?
You may loosen all the lugs, spin the rim a hole or two, snug them up one at a time in a criss cross motion until tight. If it's an after-market rim, it might not seat on the centering hub correctly.

Just my .02
E

not sure how long the bend is but at 60mph im in it for about 6 or 7 seconds. i have removed the doughnut as the rubber had deteriorated, made no difference, i have checked for play in the tie rods, they're good, i have not done an alignment yet but will soon, next time im at the shop im gunna measure the runout on the hubs, i have a 90 si hatch, will the axles from the si work with the dx tranny and hubs? i know they have a different part number

im really not sure if the axles will match up from the si to the dx tranny. If its the same series engine i would say so but thats just my opinion.

My buddy has a si civic and he put a dx axle in it... it only lasted like a month and was fed.... i dont think it will work...

i have a similiar problem and its my raq n pinion system is shot out

not sure if this is possible but when the rotors was machined the guy didnt have them on the machine centered and they got recut but warped recut..... dunno just a thought prollly not what it is but just my .02 cents.... i had a flywheel cut down like that and had this issue dam trade school machinist lol ...

Back