the beater quest

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

accords/civics are too low.

There's over a foot of snow up here in the bigger storms... i need the extra ground clearence that an AWD car has.

That A4 sold off-ebay before I got a chance to look at it :(

I did go look at an s4 wagon today....
which turned out to be an S6 wagon when i got there....
and it was missing a 0 on the price that was published.... and i don't need a v8 wagon for a winter car. lol

so, the hunt continues...

no offense... An Imprezza doesn't exactly have alot more ground clearance...

1997 Honda Accord = 1400mm ground clearance.
1997 Subaru Impreza = 1410mm ground clearance.
Same Wheelbase too.

no offense... An Imprezza doesn't exactly have alot more ground clearance...

1997 Honda Accord = 1400mm ground clearance.
1997 Subaru Impreza = 1410mm ground clearance.
Same Wheelbase too.

Holy shit. 4.5 feet off the ground? I'd like to see that.

Subaru RX For teh w1n !

IT's a 2 door, hatchback Loyale. It's a goddam tractor in the snow, and since it's part-time 4WD when it's off, it gets good mileage.

how many miles?...looks like a good deal of the miles are under 90,000

I still can't beleive the one I bought has soo many miles and it keeps going without burning a drop of oil and no problems for the price I paid...$1200 and lasted over a year.

5 speed.... :drool:

i'm really trying to stay in-state on this one, as I don't have time to deal with inspections and vin checks.

Buying a car instate:
- drive m3 to DMV
- show title and ins crap, get plates.
- drive m3 home, install plates.

Buying a car out of state:
- drive m3 to dmv.
- get temp 10-day registration
- drive beater to dmv
- wait in line for 20 min to get service ticket
- wait in line for 4 hours for vin check/inspection
- go back in line for 20 min to get service ticket.
- wait 1-2 hours to get plates.
- get served emission notice

and thats all IF it passes.

you gotta make everything too complicated..... :rolleyes:

once you see that my older cars don't have those troubles....you'll join the club eventually....

1. Take bill of sale to DMV for a 74 datsun.
2. pay the cheaper fees with no tax, no inspection, no emmissions, no VIN check, and have a chance to pay $40 for a collectors licence plate....and the bill of sale listed for $100...the most tax I paid was $6....
3. Insureance on the car is dirt cheap, no city property tax on the car, and I can swap any motor into it, and never worry about about emmissions or paying anymoney on the car except gas after the swap is done...
4. Go on with normal life with a cool car, that has potential to be hot, or fast as hell...if I ever get the back or the time to do it.
5. Parts and mods are endless, can homebuild it, or wait and jump on deals when they appear...
6. Not good in the snow:( but I didn't get it for a beater...but I beat the crap out of it and it still keeps going.... :)

my problem is I have too many projects, life threw me a curve a few times, and I'm finally getting out of the hole....this year just sucked completely...next year the beast, or beasts will be at any or every event....I hope:p

:D :ph34r:

actually, it was that simple...with the CT DMV...I just showed up with a bill of sale, they gave me an application, I filled it out, paid the fee's, and walked out 20 minutes later with a plate to throw on the Z. no title, no inpection, no emmissions, and the bill of sale was for under $500 and the fee's was taced like it was for $6. The cities I've lived in, no property taxes for the car ever came...and if I used it for anything, the only money out of my pocket was for gas. But I had to have faster, better, and sexy...so that money I saved from all the bullshit fee's the state normally wants...goes for mods and parts.

I fear what the BMW will run you for a years taxes in Bristol....I could prolly buy a full set of decent tires for your taxes you'll end up paying. And if you pick up another car in the year you want...times the taxes, upkeep, fee's x2.

Last edited:
brian all you need to do is bring an out of state car to the nearest emmissions station and make sure it passes thats all. im going through it right now. sounds dumb but its as simple as that.

in order to bring it there, i need to get a temp registration.... which required going to the dmv.

I have 0 use for a 1970's RWD car for a winter beater/daily driver. come on man.

taxes on my sti were 750 bucks. i imagine the m3 will be 1000 or more... but who cares. This topic has nothing to do with any of this.

I was just giving an example...;)

go for the subby's....but in the short and long run...and for winter beatings only...look for something cheap and something your not going to pay out the ass if somebody else rams into you. They might have lost control of their car, they have insurance...but your rates also go up. You can have the best 4x4 out there, can drive better than an F-1 race car driver, know your snow driving better than you know your mother...but there will always be someone out there that can't drive worth a damn in the snow, their in the next lane..and you know CT drivers......enough said.

Cheaper is better...as long as it can get you there in the snow, has heat, and gets better than 4mpg....you can't lose. ^_^

Back