Turbo time for my b18b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

projectxspeed

I am starting my long build of a bugdet turbo LS. I have some good direction, but I still need some help. What would you recommend for fuel management and turbo?

My budget is 3K - 4K for the whole setup including installation. I want the car to be streetable and run off of 93 pump gas. My power goal is to hit 12.5-13.5 sec on the quarter mile on DOT approved drag radials. I would like a quick spooling turbo so that I could easily pick up autocross if I wanted too.

Id say go with the greddy kit..Good price complete kit come with alot of extras. I myself would build one but if you dont want to take the time to hunt down everything part by part the greddy kit is good overall street kit.

check out greddy's website see what the kit comes with I dont remember everything. just upgrade what would need it. I think plugs maybe a fuel pump should be the only upgrades that you need.

The greddy kits is a very basic bolt on kit. Unless you want to start making some major power you wont need all of that. Plus thats where the big money comes into play. I have a b18b now and building it up right the first time is going to cost a pretty penny.

since im broke I havent started it yet. I actually have a few people looking at my car so im not sure if im going to keep it right now. But if I do ill send you a list of parts I plan on using. I have 3 books on building high performance honda engines. I suggest buying them. I got all mine on amazon.com for like $8 a piece. 2 of them are called high perfomance honda builders handbook volume 1 and 2 and i cant find the third one but it was off a link recomeded from buyers of the other 2. Hope this helps

fuck the greddy kit. it will never put you where you want to be.

on gsr's it makes like 230 whp.
on ls, about 180-200 whp.

200 whp = high 13s to low 14s

3-4k including installation, isn't going to happen.

most shops are going to change 800-1000 just to install it.
a basic kit is 2800-3800 bucks
add exahust, misc fuel pumps, and you're well over your budget.

Relax dude...i was just giving him some ideas. I wouldnt get that kit but i was looking at what was in his budget. I prefer the drag kits. All of my boys in NY run those. they have had no problems and absolutely praise them.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 6 2004, 01:43 PM
fuck the greddy kit. it will never put you where you want to be.

on gsr's it makes like 230 whp.
on ls, about 180-200 whp.

200 whp = high 13s to low 14s

3-4k including installation, isn't going to happen.

most shops are going to change 800-1000 just to install it.
a basic kit is 2800-3800 bucks
add exahust, misc fuel pumps, and you're well over your budget.

:werd: to your mothers bishes.

B's right the GReddy kit isn't gonna make much power especially on a b18b.

The shops will kill you on installation, doing it yourself would save you some $$$.
It's not that hard to do just takes a lot of time to make sure you have everything installed correctly. Simply make a list and double check everything once you've completed it, the GReddy kit should come with instructions. You can make it an all day project or strech it to a couple days to be safe. Get a friend or 2 with prior experience with turbo kits to help you out. Or just buy the kit and don't install it until you have the other things you want to upgrade.

I have some mechanical skill and do intend on installing it myself. After I will bring it to a dyno to have someone intelligent tune it. I would like to piece together my own kit; it seems like a better way to go.

piecing you own is the best way cause you can decide on which parts are the best for your application. Those books I told you about have extensive sections on turbos. The more you know the better parts you will buy. Just remember to do it right the first time and spend the extra money if necessary. It would suck to get it up and running then have parts start to fail one by one.

Yeah thats the only complaint I have heard about them.. I guess SFP would be the way to go for manifolds. Just remember to get a cast iron or storng steel. The one with the 304 steel arent meant for much boost.

Back