Well, guys, say hello to my new toy...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hehe.....helicopters suck........

I know....I build and repair them.

Would I buy a helicopter.......no

if someone bought one for me,......no

if it was bought for the main reason to shoot at....maybe.

There are just way to many flight critical moveing parts that if one fails, then the whole system fails, and then your only chance is to auto-rotate, and if its a problem with the rotor head....then you'll just become a crater in the earth...

I'm late on this one but back to inverted flight...

Have you guys ever seen the video of the test pilot for Boeing doing a 1G aileron roll in a 707 over the crowd of potential buyers/press?

The guy's nickname was something like "Tex".. Anyway, story goes that no one was very enthusiastic about the plane. It looked too big to be safe. The fella goes and does a 1G roll over the crowd. Everyone thought, "Shit! If it can do that, it must be safe."

okay... google search... here's the story:

Quickly Boeing turned its attention to selling the airline industry on this new jet transport. Clearly the industry was impressed with the capabilities of the prototype 707 but never more so than at the Gold Cup hydroplane races held on Lake Washington in Seattle, in August 1955. During the festivities surrounding this event, Boeing had gathered many airline representatives to enjoy the competition and witness a fly past of the new Dash 80. To the audience's intense delight and Boeing's profound shock, test pilot Alvin "Tex" Johnston barrel-rolled the Dash 80 over the lake in full view of thousands of astonished spectators. Johnston vividly displayed the superior strength and performance of this new jet, readily convincing the airline industry to buy this new airliner.

As for helicopters... My uncle flew them in Vietnam. He said basically the thing tries to shake itself apart from the time you start up the engine until you shut it down. I can't remember the exact ratio but for every hour of flight time there is something like 8 hrs of maintenance that has to be done. Screw that!

Of course there cool as heck! He was transporting one that an exec had bought. Brought it by my grandparent's over easter weekend when I was in highschool. He did a few tree top fly overs to get us out of the house then did a "hot LZ landing" Came in at what seemed to us like full throttle, at the last possible second pulled stright up, loosing all his forward momentum. With the nose practically pointing at the sky and no forward motion he dropped straight down on the skids with hardly a bounce. It was cool as hell!! No sooner did the skids hit and he was off again. He wouldn't take anyone up for a ride but it was badass to see

Basically what Airhocky said, plus the fact that they're statically AND dynamically unstable, use a shitload of fuel (I wouldn't fly a non- turbine powered helecopter), and generally, are ugly. The last reason is an opinion, but in my mind, it's as valid as fact. :)

very nice pickup Ji. i wish i knew 2 shits about flying, hell i wish i knew one shit.

well since i dont know crap about planes..........

when is the hondaswap sticker getting on there :ph34r:

Originally posted by Airjockie@Apr 19 2004, 10:32 PM
:roll: It's Airjockie....... :roll:

El Loco Honky

:p

El Loco Honkey? Man, being you know JDM-speak, I figured you woulda called me Honkey Roku or something. :p

You're Airhockey, and Steve is Celery. E is Trunk Gnome, B is pissedoffateverythingandwillsomedaykillmanypeoplefromarooftopbecausecaliforniahas268743510841034reasonstosuck. liquid00meth is either Dude becuase to this day, I can't remember his name (no offense, man; I just suck at certain peoples names for some reason. It's like a birth defect or something), or Spin City becuase his car got a little tail happy on Rt. 17 last August.

Back