1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the correct way to install h22a4 pistons

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by alterdcreations, Aug 9, 2006.

1. alterdcreations

alterdcreations Member

hi i am rebuilding the stock usdm bottom end(just changing main bearings, rod bearings, piston rings). i hear that the h22a has fmr walls. how am i suppose to seat the rings in the clynders? do i hone them or lightly scuff them.
    i would hate to put the engine back togeather and find out that i am loosing compression.(need all that i can get 10.1) can anybody help me?:confused:
    i have built b16a's and ls/vtec before but this is my first h22a:D

2. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

if you have replaced pistons, your piston choices are very limited. you can either sleeve your block (HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and use a normal forged piston like JE, Wiseco or CP. If you do not sleeve the block, then your limited to the mahle gold series and OEM (and thats still up for a little bit of debate). from what i hear, you just need to hone the cylinder walls and seat as usual.

3. alterdcreations

alterdcreations Member

i will be using factory honda usdm pistons and rings.
    i understand that you cannot hone the walls with a stone because their are fmr cylinder walls. i hear people saying not to touch them and just put new rings in them. i hear that you are to use a ball type hone a i need to know the correct way .
    does anybody really know?

4. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

honda? call the service dept.

5. alterdcreations

alterdcreations Member

They wont tell me.If anybody has done it with any sucess please let me know.

6. alterdcreations

alterdcreations Member

7. alterdcreations

alterdcreations Member

8. formby

formby learning in progress

do you have a reputable machine shop around?

ask them

if you are asking these questions then you dont need to do this....just let a pro do it...your messing with the most important part of the engine... better safe than sorry...

OHHH and if you go to a shop and they say...whats an H22a4? or what are fmr cylinder walls?...LEAVE RUN DROP AND ROLL

9. alterdcreations

alterdcreations Member

$650 to assemble my bottem end(same shop that is finishing my head). i have never played with fmr walls before but i hear that they get alot wetter than other puss* walls that i have played with.(funny) but your right i have never hone fmr walls but i have build and honed b16 and b18 bottem ends before so i not concerned with assembley(if you never try then you will never learn) but i have decided not to touch the short block because i found out that the problem that i had was do to a leaking exhaust valve seal on the 4th cylinder. the oil was then sucked into the egr system and was distrubuted throught the rest of the engine. if the head /intake manifold comes togeather to make good power then later on i will stroke if with factory honda parts. My beautiful baby girl should be hear in 5 days so i cant spend $650 on a botten end build plus parts when its in perfect running condition. when it goes back togeather then i will know if it needs a rebuild. untill then i will be runnig piss out of it. 8500 rpms he he or maby 8200rpms were ever it makes power

10. alterdcreations

alterdcreations Member

i still would like to know if anybody knows how to.
    my cylinder walls are smooth with no scarring or markes at all.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted