what is the correct way to install h22a4 pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hi i am rebuilding the stock usdm bottom end(just changing main bearings, rod bearings, piston rings). i hear that the h22a has fmr walls. how am i suppose to seat the rings in the clynders? do i hone them or lightly scuff them.
i would hate to put the engine back togeather and find out that i am loosing compression.(need all that i can get 10.1) can anybody help me?:confused:
i have built b16a's and ls/vtec before but this is my first h22a:D

if you have replaced pistons, your piston choices are very limited. you can either sleeve your block (HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and use a normal forged piston like JE, Wiseco or CP. If you do not sleeve the block, then your limited to the mahle gold series and OEM (and thats still up for a little bit of debate). from what i hear, you just need to hone the cylinder walls and seat as usual.

i will be using factory honda usdm pistons and rings.
i understand that you cannot hone the walls with a stone because their are fmr cylinder walls. i hear people saying not to touch them and just put new rings in them. i hear that you are to use a ball type hone a i need to know the correct way .
does anybody really know?

honda? call the service dept.

do you have a reputable machine shop around?

ask them

if you are asking these questions then you dont need to do this....just let a pro do it...your messing with the most important part of the engine... better safe than sorry...

OHHH and if you go to a shop and they say...whats an H22a4? or what are fmr cylinder walls?...LEAVE RUN DROP AND ROLL

$650 to assemble my bottem end(same shop that is finishing my head). i have never played with fmr walls before but i hear that they get alot wetter than other puss* walls that i have played with.(funny) but your right i have never hone fmr walls but i have build and honed b16 and b18 bottem ends before so i not concerned with assembley(if you never try then you will never learn) but i have decided not to touch the short block because i found out that the problem that i had was do to a leaking exhaust valve seal on the 4th cylinder. the oil was then sucked into the egr system and was distrubuted throught the rest of the engine. if the head /intake manifold comes togeather to make good power then later on i will stroke if with factory honda parts. My beautiful baby girl should be hear in 5 days so i cant spend $650 on a botten end build plus parts when its in perfect running condition. when it goes back togeather then i will know if it needs a rebuild. untill then i will be runnig piss out of it. 8500 rpms he he or maby 8200rpms were ever it makes power

i still would like to know if anybody knows how to.
my cylinder walls are smooth with no scarring or markes at all.

Back