which swao to go with

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Great thread, I was actually thinking the same as honda_boy911. I have about 6k and no car yet, but I have a hold on this 93 Civic EX with over 200k miles for 3k. Those have the D16Z6 engine in it. Because of the miles and not knowing if it was rebuilt I was thinking about just swapping with B18c1, but I'm only looking for a DD with 250hp (I currently drive a 06 Altima with 3.5 v6 w/ 270hp). The car already has a black cat exhaust, so one less thing I have to replace and the interior is extremely clean like it was redone.

Should there be any concern about the stock tranny? Can you split out the parts list for a DYI turbo kit or is there another thread with that info? Putting 250hp into a civic is there much concern about the suspension?

I was also thinking about getting the swap anyways and setting the D16Z6 aside to rebuild it as a spare. Another thing to think about is you can always sell that D16Z6 motor and recoop some of the cost of getting a B16 or B18c1 especially if you rebuild it before hand. Some needy person will come along after boosting their stock motor to 15psi or more.

Other

okay with you buying that other car I would say swap the motor for a b-series, take your head off of the z6 motor you have throw it on the y7 block in the other car. swap the wiring harness, ecu, and then you got yourself a mini swap and a b16 in your other car sounds like a pretty decent pair to me.

thanks YBLEGAL, like i said i can get the GSR swap complete for 2900, that motor/ lsd trans axles, linkage, ecu, mounts, it comes with everything...and im sure i can get the b16 atleast 600 dollers cheaper. but will i enjoy the B16 as much as the GSR for the months that i dont have this motor turbo'd???

I still don't understand. You can spend less than a grand forging your motor, and then you have $1900 left over to turbo it immediately instead of having to wait. Plus it'll be more reliable at 250-300whp, and you can crank it up much higher without fear of breaking parts if you get bored with it.

Plus its a direct drop-in, since that's what is currently in the car, so you're saving another $100-150 on mounts you don't need to buy.

well thats about 1000 dollers in part to forge the d-series plus labour, and theres a DX tranny on my SI motor so i would be spend money on gettin another SI tranny. lol i haven't really thought of keeping the d-series to much.like i said i want something reliable, so i figured a B-series boosted is really easy to get 250WHP and still be reliable. plus if i had the B-series and got sick of the speed i could always to pistons and rods and make it and 500whp car or more

any ways back to the point of this thread.... what motor would be better a b16a2 or a b18c1?? remember i will be driving this car for a while not boosted so what motor would be more enjoyable?

any ways back to the point of this thread.... what motor would be better a b16a2 or a b18c1?? remember i will be driving this car for a while not boosted so what motor would be more enjoyable?

i've had my B16 since 2006, it's gonna be boosted on stock internals next winter.

all this time, stock internals, i still love it. it sounds awesome. it pulls hard. do yourself a favor and get a nice clutch right off the bat tho. stock clutches seem weak even on a stock B16. i love my Action Clutch 2KS clutch.

i've got it in a 2000 coupe. and with minor bolt ons (intake, exhaust minus header, the clutch i said, and Toda 8.8lb flywheel, still had A/C), no suspension work, and 16" rims w/ low pro's, i beat a GSR swapped '98 coupe who had no AC and the back of his car gutted.

i feel no buyers remorse going with the B16 rathar than the B18C1. the only thing i would have gotten besides the B16A or B16B would be the B18C5. but thats not worth the money, and neither is the B16B. you can make a poor mans B18 type-r out of a C1 for way less. same with the B16B and B16A. at the time of my swap, i spent $2,300 for a JDM '95 Del Sol SiR-II B16A complete swap. at that same time, the B18C5 was $3,200. not worth it for the measly power increase.

i cant tell you want to get. but that's my experiance with it.

the ONLY gripe i have, is the gearing. and only a little

i've got REALLY short gears.

1st goes to 40
2nd goes to 60
3rd goes to 90
4th goes to 120
5th goes to 150

on the highway, i do 80mph on the regular, putting me at 4,200rpm cruising. sort of high.

but in circuit track racing, these gear ratios rock!

and....stock B16 has enough oomff that you can top out 5th gear :ph34r:
fastest i've had it was 138~140 @ 7,000rpm, and still climbing. just sort of didnt like the feel of my stock suspension going that fast.

sounds good man. are you running an LSD tranny or no? would you say to put a lightened flywheel in even if im going boost??

yeah, i've got a factory LSD in mine. i'm sure it will break at somepoint, but it was only 300 more. and it's served it's purpose plenty of times to make up for the measly cost.

i would buy the flywheel based on your driving style. i like to circuit race, which entails quick shifts, both up and down. i also like heal-toe downshifting and really pushing my skill.

if you drag race only, get a heavy one
if you circuit race mainly, get a light one
if you have no idea, it's just a DD, get like a 10~12lb one and you'll be happy.

maybe once you boost it, it'll be time for another clutch, and you can sell this flywheel if you dont like it.

i gotta say, 10 stars out of 5 for my Toda 8.8lb chromoly flywheel. a lot of times you hear really light weight flywheels mess up your idle. nope, not this one. i think celesta has this same one too. this thing rules. it revs up sooo fast now. for me atleast, it's made driving addicting. it takes more skill to handle tho. if you mis-time your shifts, it makes for an unplesent ride. i just love it though.

hold on a second and i'll post you up a video of my B16 right after my clutch swap, and you can see for yourself

why do you say it will probly break soon??? and i would hope i wont need a new clutch a couple months after buying it lol. i plan to have this motor boosted this summer. but 100% by next spring.

well shit you live in ontario, i live by chicago. you should make it your winter project. that's what i'm doing. it gets really cold and the salt hurts your car. not to mention dry rot of any rubber bushings, incase you didnt know...

hey depends on how u drive it. my buddy wore out a new ACT clutch in a couple months on his D15B. it withstood a beating on the commute to work and back.

o and, from all i've read, the factory LSD is pretty weak, 250whp will most likely break it. so i'm just expecting it to break after boost.

oh and my car is in storage right now, the motor will be done for this spring and then the turbo may wait till next winter

get the LSD. it's cheap. it's fun till it breaks. but, expect it to break after boost. get some money ready to order a quaife or something

Back