which swao to go with

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

We can't tell you how happy you're going to be with something. If you're used to driving a D15B7, you'll be happy driving a D16Z6 for a while. If you're used to driving a 400rwhp+ Camaro, then even a 250whp turbo B16 is going to feel at best "okay"

Are you going to be happy with 160hp in your car vs. the 100-120hp it had from the factory? If you're looking to stay N/A, then by all means, the B-series is the way to go for ease of making N/A power. If you're looking to go boost, you're probably better off building a D-series and boosting that. It'll be cheaper and hold more power. It will take you a long time to get bored of the power that setup would be capable of. With 420rwhp in my 6-speed Z28, I went 11.92@118 on a crappy 1.83 60' in 100*F weather. If it was an auto, it would've been something like 11.30-11.40's. Raceweight is around 3600-3700lbs. An EG is at LEAST a thousand pounds lighter. 400whp at 2500lb raceweight will be VERY fast and probably very useless without running around on slicks.

Really, there's like one or two people in this thread telling you to go B16 and you are saying "everyone" in here is telling you to go that route. If you're so dead-set on putting a B-series in the car, just do it and don't worry about what we all think.

If you're looking to go boost, you're probably better off building a D-series and boosting that. It'll be cheaper and hold more power.

How much power can you get out of a boosted D16Z6 and still be a DD (reliability is key)? What all will it take? Is a block swap or head swap required to get the most out of it (I keep on seeing swap this or that, gets confusing)? Can you get away with pistons, cam, porting, balancing, header, and a turbo and get just as much power? My goal is around 250-300, but you can always use more. :D Trying to decide how far I want to take my ride and I want to make sure I have a good core engine before I start boosting it. Which is one of the reasons why I'm also thinking about a B16 or B18, but I know I will boost (I just like the sound).

I find that the fun factor really depends on where the power band is and the suspension/tires to get all that power onto the road. I drove a Corvette and insulted my uncle by saying it was "alright". I insulted a Mazda dealer the other day when I drove the Speed6 and told him it was "alright" he rebutted by saying that the turbo won't loosen up until it is driven a few thousand miles (sure whatever). I find my Nissan Altima 3.5 5spd to be fun, but needs maybe 50 more hp and a new suspension to be exceptional. Then another 100 hp and new tires when I get bored. Then weight reduction because it handles like a tank.

So I really want to know what a good starting core is that will give me good options in the future. Since my car is a DD I have been thinking about buying a swap I will rebuild before I stick it into the car. Do you recommend another D16Z6, or something else? The Z6 would be an exact swap, or I could buy something else swap then rebuild my current engine then swap back. I see so many builds where the porting and block process takes months. Keep in mind, for me money is not a problem.

Other

Gsr Gsr Gsr

i would personally get the GSR----- I found a GSR swap right now on a site Called craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums
Try it out it is people locally selling there stuff---- There is a lot of people right now that are starting to RETIRE from the honda world----- i have seen a full JDM GSR swap with tranny 80k miles for $1200 get on the site and search a city close to you and see what you find----- I live off that site and i have even bought from there and sold again for a profit justc check it out-----
craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

If you're looking to stay N/A, then by all means, the B-series is the way to go for ease of making N/A power. If you're looking to go boost, you're probably better off building a D-series and boosting that. It'll be cheaper and hold more power. It will take you a long time to get bored of the power that setup would be capable of.

Why do you say that? Yes, you can boost on a D-series and make decent horsepower, but anything beyond 250 wheel horse is gonna destroy a stock D16. The B-series can work either way, N/A or boosted.

What about a B18B? I'd rather boost on that then on a D-series. It's fairly stout, and has a nice low compression ratio from the factory so you can run a decent amount of boost even in stock form. Plus, you've got tons more options as far as building, more parts, better transmission choices, the option of doing an LS/VTEC.

I don't think what you said is necessarily wrong, just not a very comprehensive explanation of the different motor choices and how they respond to forced induction.

yeh man, thats wut im saying i dont think anything over 250 Whp in a D series would be reliable. atleast if i got b series and decide i want more power i can do a couple mods and get omre power. i was thinking about a b18b but i just figure that since i am not going to boost right away i would enjoy the b16 or the gsr in the mean time

but anything beyond 250 wheel horse is gonna destroy a stock D16. The B-series can work either way, N/A or boosted.

But the question still stands. Can you pull more than 250 Whp reliably on a D16 if you upgraded cam, pistons, and other engine components? If so the D16 might be significantly cheaper than a B16 swap.

Other

really, im still thinking about going b-series.. just because i like them and if i ever want more the more that 400hp i can do cam and piston up grades to the b series... and plus i really dont think you would get a RELIABLE 400 whp out of a D-series

yeah, show us your reference. someone quoting doesnt cut it. i want to see dyno charts and sufficent information to know it's stock internals. and then I want you to show me how long it's lasted somehow. I dont really think a D would be reliable at 400 either. most B series on stock internals rarely achieve 350 reliably.

i want to see dyno charts and sufficent information to know it's stock internals.

We are NOT talking stock internals. We are talking cam and piston upgrades and possibly other upgrades (which I would do on a swap anyways before I installed the engine then you can still drive while working on a second engine). I still wonder how much Whp you can get after internal upgrades on a d-series and what does it take to get that much. This would be useful to know if you already own a D16z6 and are contemplating upgrade or swap.

I have also been looking at a supercharger instead of a turbo. I know the performance is less when you are talking racing, but I'm just looking for a reliable DD. I'm also concerned about sucking water with a turbo given the placement of the air intake. Friend of mine did that a few years back. Supercharger air intakes are in the stock location.

Other

did you find anything on craigslist---- JW and screw d series go with the GSR once again------ I have over bored gsr block ls rod b20 crank---- B16 SIR2 head with JG springs and retainers stock GSR cams a skunk2 pro series manifold msd and 4-1 headers and it makes real good power running a hard to get p61 ecu--- Runs Strong--- I have built D series and its nothing compared to my new engine--

But the question still stands. Can you pull more than 250 Whp reliably on a D16 if you upgraded cam, pistons, and other engine components? If so the D16 might be significantly cheaper than a B16 swap.

Other

Yes, you certainly can pull more than 250 horses reliably on a built D16, but by the time you end up fully building a Honda motor that can reliably handle 400 hp, you will have spent a shitload of money anyway, regardless of whatever motor you started out with.

I'd still advocate a B18B over a D-series for boost. Not only is it slightly more stout and more powerful from the factory, there's also the fact that it's a dual-cam (more tune-ability), plus all the other stuff I mentioned before (more parts available, option of swapping for a VTEC head).

There's nothing wrong with building a D-series, I'd just prefer to start with an LS if given the choice.

thanks alot guys all this info is definatly helping me alot.. i definatly am goin to go B-series. i just cant decided between a GSR or a B16. i will also look into b18b's aswell. but for most part do you guys think i will enjoy the GSR more then the B16 while its not boosted?

We are NOT talking stock internals.

ya sry didint even notice that part.

===

ok if i just say. go buy a B16. NOW!

is that what your waiting for?

no one can tell you. we all suggested all the motors you've had in mind. maybe you need to read more elsewhere because we cant tell you anything more. i own a B16. I like it. will you? idk. but w/e, go buy it. since you cant decide ^_^

lol... all's im really wondering is there really much more noticable power in the Gsr than the b16.

Back